Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sending email from the iPhone

Options
  • 16-03-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else having problems sending email from the iPhone? My email account is a "@eircom.net" address and I'm connecting through wifi at home via BT broadband. I have no problems sending email on my PC through Outlook, it's just on my iPhone. The SMTP settings are mail.iol.ie port 25 and I'm Using a password the usual one to log on to my email. Basically the same settings as my Outlook account. The strange thing is when I change the SMTP to SMTP.o2.ie and send an email to my o2 email it works but only if I send it to my o2 email address. I get the same connection error message when I try to send it to any other email address.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

are you sure that its trying via wifi and not over the o2 network?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

MiCr0 wrote: »
    are you sure that its trying via wifi and not over the o2 network?

yeah, I'm pretty sure. But even still when I change it to smtp.o2.ie I can only send to my o2.ie address as it says it can't connect to SMTP.o2.ie

Does anyone else have the same problem?

so has anyone successfully sent email from their iPhone? If so what are your outgoing/smtp settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Moofy

so has anyone successfully sent email from their iPhone? If so what are your outgoing/smtp settings?

You should be able to sync those mail settings when you connect the phone to Itunes.
    I am using a mac and haven't had any problems sending email, in fact was sending email from bed this morning:)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

I can't get it working at all.
    I choose "POP", then;

Incoming Mail Server
    Host Name. mail.eircom.net
    Username. myusername
    Password. mypassword

Server Port. 995

Outgoing Mail Server
    Host Name. SMTP.eircom.net
    Username. myusername
    Password. mypassword

Server Port. 587

When I try to send a mail it seems to do nothing, just hangs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

just a guess, but it might be worth trying your full email address as your username...

After much tinkering around I've fixed the problem.

I recommend if you are having propblems sending but not receiving email that you delete your account and go into the "Add account" setting and start from scratch.

1. Pick POP account
    2. Enter your name etc on the POP account.
    3. Enter you incoming mail details as normal including username and password.
    4 Now for the outgoing details just enter smtp.o2.ie as the outgoing server and leave the user name and password blank - they should say "optional" on them any way.
    5. If you are trying to send wifi through your broadband connection you will go in and change the outgoing account settings to whoever your outgoing broadband provider is e.g. BT it would be mail.iol.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

After much tinkering around I've fixed the problem.

I recommend if you are having propblems sending but not receiving email that you delete your account and go into the "Add account" setting and start from scratch.

1. Pick POP account
    2. Enter your name etc on the POP account.
    3. Enter you incoming mail details as normal including username and password.
    4 Now for the outgoing details just enter smtp.o2.ie as the outgoing server and leave the user name and password blank - they should say "optional" on them any way.
    5. If you are trying to send wifi through your broadband connection you will go in and change the outgoing account settings to whoever your outgoing broadband provider is e.g. BT it would be mail.iol.ie.

I did all that, and it says "Verifying POP account information", then after about 30 seconds a message pops up saying
    "Cannot Connect Using SSL
    Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL?"

:(:(:confused:

horseflesh wrote: »
    I did all that, and it says "Verifying POP account information", then after about 30 seconds a message pops up saying
    "Cannot Connect Using SSL
    Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL?"

:(:(:confused:

u will be asked so say yes and u will be asked again so yes also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CT300

So I still can't get mine working. Trying to connect to an O2 email address from the IPhone. Have tried a myriad of settings and keep getting the Cannot connect error when trying to validate the OP account. I have eircom broadband that it is trying to connect over.

Should the Incoming Mail Server be mail.o2.ie and if so, should the username be my xxxx@o2.ie email address. Because I log in to email via my mobile home page, I don't ever provide a user name.

On the outgoing I have tried both smtp.o2.ie and smtp.eircom.net without success. Have left username and password blank here.

Can someone please help????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

same problem.have you had anyluck since posting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 littlepuddycat

i am having trouble sending email since friday from my iphone i can receive email i rang vodafone who said they would refresh the settings this hasnt work can anyone help me i tried deleting the account and resetting it again but i need to check the out going mail sever should it be mail1.eircom.net or smtp.vodafone.ie tried both but nether worked
    i also have a gmail account and it receives mail but same prob with sending it mentions ssl in the error message what is this

thanks anyone please help

kate

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭CivilEx

i am having trouble sending email since friday from my iphone i can receive email i rang vodafone who said they would refresh the settings this hasnt work can anyone help me i tried deleting the account and resetting it again but i need to check the out going mail sever should it be mail1.eircom.net or smtp.vodafone.ie tried both but nether worked
    i also have a gmail account and it receives mail but same prob with sending it mentions ssl in the error message what is this

kate
    Set your outgoing mail server to mail.vodafone.ie . You might need to restart your iPhone after changing the settings, but Vodafone mail works for me on my iPhone 3G with this setting

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

kate

Ok, a few pointers.

Please don't dig up threads from over a year ago. Apart from annoying people, the information tends to go out of date quickly when dealing with technology such as the iPhone.

Also, this is the correct forum for iPhone threads, not the Mobiles/PDA forum, so I've moved it here.

As to your problem, what has changed? Did you install some software, do an upgrade, anything which might have changed settings?

And can you give more details on what exactly the problem is? EXACTLY the error you are seeing, where you saw the error, what you tried, etc. The more detail you give, the better.

I didnt do any updates or install anything all was working ok up to friday i was in galway at the weekend and it stopped working over there. When i came home the 3g worked i could access the internet ok receive email but couldnt send emails. I rang vodafone this am they said they would refresh settings but as they didnt support iphone they said it must be the phone so after that i deleted the email account and started from scratch again adding a new email account turned off and on the iphone and it all worked ok including the 3g i could access the web and everything but i just tried it again and now the same problem when i access the safari page and try connecting to the site its showing the little circle at the top going round its taking longer than it should then it says could not open the page because the server stopped responding and my email account keeps saying the webmail.eircom.net server stopped responding. i reckon its the network anyone any ideas
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, couple of things.

Can you access the Weather Application? Does it work?

Can you access the internet on WiFi?

Can you send/receive mails when on WiFi?

If you access your e-mails from a home PC, copy the settings from the PC to the iPhone and try again via WiFi.

i tried that it works fine on wifi and all the settings are same as what i use on my eircom email home pc it was working fine up to yesterday afternoon tried again this morning and it says the connection to the server webmail.eircom.net failed i dont get how it can be working ok one minute and then a few hours later its not would it have anything to do with fact that i am vodafone ready to go

Advertisement