Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone done a Creative Writing MA?

Options
  • 14-03-2008 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I'm considering doing one and would really appreciate anyone telling me how they found the experience. Also I'm curious as to what other Creative Writing options there are in Dublin, other than the two I know of; Trinity and UCD.

I'm also wondering, does anybody have opinions as to which of those two would be the better option? I've checked them out fully on the internet and in the prospectus's, but it'd be interesting to hear someone else's views.

If anyone reading this has done/is doing a Creative Writing MA, what I suppose I am asking is; have you found the course to have affected your writing in a markedly positive way? And would you recommend the course at any particular college?

The one thing I found out that shocked me was that there are only 14 places at Trinity and 12 at UCD! :eek: Not good odds... Could anyone hazard a guess at how many people apply each year?

Also, how demanding are you finding it/did you find it; i.e. it is feasible to fit in around full time work?

Of course I'll be lucky if any Creative Writing MA people happen to be reading this, so for anyone else, please feel free to express your views! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

All I know is the course in Trinity has been running a lot longer than the UCD one...
    I was looking into applying to the TCD Masters years ago but in the end I never applied. Both look like great courses though!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

OP the UCD MA in creative writing is a full time course so it cannot be fitted around a full time job.

I believe you would have to attend lectures/seminars etc for 2 full days a week, and their are quite alot of projects and side work.

I think that the UCD creative writing is taking in 16 places a year, and the course is really gaining in popularity.

The applicants own creative writing is taken into account in relation to a successful application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Thank you both. I think I've pretty much decided against applying to UCD as it'd be very impractical in terms of getting to from where I live (wouldn't be into fighting my way from dublin 13 through both sides of town; at least with Trinity it'd only be half the hassle!) I'll be keeping my fingers crossed anyway as the odds are very much against me! :eek: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beautiful

Im currently doing an MA in london Goldsmiths college and have found, since Ive moved here, that there is so much opportunity! Your looking for a creative writing MA, I can guarantee that Goldsmiths Uni will provide you with the best course.
    I thought the move to London from Dublin would be tough but it was so easy and I am loving living here... so many people dont look further than Ireland but really London is the place to be especially for people trying to do something unique...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Thanks for the advice beautiful, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your course over there, but that wouldn't be an option for me because I am a mother and wouldn't be into uprooting my son. Anyway tbh I think the courses at Trinity and UCD are as good as anything you'd find overseas; people come from all over the world to study literature in those universities. It'd be tough going to get a place on the course I have my eye on, but sure here's to hoping! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Chocolatier

Have any of you done an MA in creative writing? Did you find it worthwhile? What is required to complete it - a number of short stories, a novel? All info appreciated.

Advertisement