Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting Newbie

Options
  • 14-03-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

Been on boards for quite a while now, never ventured into the hunting forum much. Been plinking and target shooting with .22s and the like for a few years, but just recently got my first shotgun. So, I'm gonna get into hunting. I've been on a few unsuccessful hunts on my own and with some friends and enjoyed it immensely nonetheless.

So, nay tips for a newbie? One question I want to ask is about what shot sizes ye consider most appropriate for different quarry, eg. mags, greys, pheasant etc. Anything else ye want to throw in go ahead.

Cheers, José

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Well its not a great time of year for hunting as most game are out of season.
    Anyway i started on my own too and enjoyed walking the feilds getting the odd crow, rabbit, pigeion, magpie and learned how to get quite a good bag, the best way would be to go out with somone who shoots regularly and has been doing it for a while and learn the basic fieldcraft skills.
    I have great fun in the summer months hunting bunnies in all different ways.
    I usualy give all types of hunting a rest from march to the end of April, just to give things a bit of space and not to kill off next years sport.
    Shot size i usualy use is 32 6s for small quarry and rifle for fox.
    Get some practice in on the clays for now as it will get you used to the lead of a bird in flight and tighten your reflexes, great fun also. hope this helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I usualy give all types of hunting a rest from march to the end of April, just to give things a bit of space and not to kill off next years sport.
    :eek:

They must breed fast down you way if they reproduce in one month.. Good job there is a lot of hunters down your way or you'd be over ran in two months:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

:eek:

They must breed fast down you way if they reproduce in one month.. Good job there is a lot of hunters down your way or you'd be over ran in two months:D;)

From march to the end of April.... that makes it 2 months:rolleyes:
    Good input nonetheless Ivan, Good man;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Ya i mean what are you expecting, for them to breed like rabbits,

wait, YOUR NOT SERIOUSLY SHOOTING RABBITS ARE YOU??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Sat beside a lady one night who proceeded to lecture me because I had ordered quail for starter(the poor little birds) so when I revealed I liked to hunt and fish, she asked "what about the poor little rabbits" course I couldn't resist it :Dand told her " their delicious" :eek::eek::eek: that was that I only saw the back of her for the whole meal. Then she ordered the steak :eek::eek: people ??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Thanks to Ivan and co. for keeping my thread nice and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Quail and rabbit casserole, with silverskins are peas, mmmmm

Advertisement