Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading Leagal or ileagal. the truth please!

Options
  • 14-03-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭

Lads whats the story , reloading is it within the bounds of leagality or am I just wasting me time day dreaming. and if its leagal whats the story with importing power ? or is it all taboo and I should just shout up:confused::confused: ause I'd love to go back to me hornet .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Lads whats the story , reloading is it within the bounds of leagality or am I just wasting me time day dreaming. and if its leagal whats the story with importing power ? or is it all taboo and I should just shout up:confused::confused: ause I'd love to go back to me hornet .

I would think it is illegal, best check with the DOJ Firearms Legal Section.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Reloading is legal. The new Act brings in a licence for it, but until that's commenced, it's legal without the licence. What still requires a licence is storing the propellant and primers. At least one person I've heard of has gone through all the hoops, gotten the explosives storage licence and is reloading at the moment. Their post should be on the boards round here somewheres.

Sparks wrote: »
    Reloading is legal. The new Act brings in a licence for it, but until that's commenced, it's legal without the licence. What still requires a licence is storing the propellant and primers. At least one person I've heard of has gone through all the hoops, gotten the explosives storage licence and is reloading at the moment. Their post should be on the boards round here somewheres.

According to the DOJ just this evening it is illegal at this moment in time to have powder or primers.

It certainly is - unless you have a licence for them. You need to get the explosives licence. Start with form C-49 and go from there. Chem has a post on the process on here, do a quick search for "explosives" in the forum. The process is... convoluted. However, several people have apparently gone through it (ask sidneyreilly) and are reloading at the moment perfectly legally.

Sparks wrote: »
    It certainly is - unless you have a licence for them. You need to get the explosives licence. Start with form C-49 and go from there. Chem has a post on the process on here, do a quick search for "explosives" in the forum. The process is... convoluted. However, several people have apparently gone through it

(ask sidneyreilly) and are reloading at the moment perfectly legally.

OK, sidneyreilly are you reloading and can you tell us all how to go about doing it legally, Could you suggest someone that you might know in the DOJ that I could contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Calling MR> sidneyreilly if your out there please give us a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Calling MR> sidneyreilly if your out there please give us a shout

Try a PM (private message) - might be more effective (or maybe not):D

Just did!!! hope the guy dosent mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055194450&highlight=explosives

Link to the explosives jumps and hoops set out by law:rolleyes:

To be honest "not legal advise" I cant understand why once you have the licence to have ammo you cant then reload. There is NO min limit on the amount of explosive you can have without needing a registered magazine for storage. Even small arms ammo is mentioned in the law as requiring such storage.

I feel the DOJ can be as bad as the Gardi at "interpeting the laws" as it suits them.

If you are granted permission for storage of gun powder or smokeless powder you can then store ANY explosive you like C4, TNT, Nitroglycerine, RDX etc as by law a magazine can be used for any explosive:D

This is why the government should start clearing up these silly outdated laws!

How come some people can and are reloading, others aren't and others don't know whether they can or cannot.

I suppose it is the usual Irish way, it's not what you know but who you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sikamick wrote: »
    How come some people can and are reloading, others aren't and others don't know whether they can or cannot.

I suppose it is the usual Irish way, it's not what you know but who you know.
    No Mick, I think it's more a case of people not bothering to find out how and then not bothering to jump through the hoops.

rrpc wrote: »
    No Mick, I think it's more a case of people not bothering to find out how and then not bothering to jump through the hoops.

That may be the case, but when the powers that be cant give the answer, where do you go or who do you ask.

They say one thing and others say something else and then it seems that the chosen few who are in the know, nod nod, wink wink are able to reload and everybody else is told no you cant do it.

check quote = Sparks =You need to get the explosives licence. Start with form C-49 and go from there. Chem has a post on the process on here, do a quick search for "explosives" in the forum. The process is... convoluted. However, several people have apparently gone through it (ask sidneyreilly) and are reloading at the moment perfectly legally.

SO SOME people have the license and most others cant get it ( who you know, not what you know) typical Irish way.

That may be the case, but when the powers that be cant give the answer, where do you go or who do you ask.

They say one thing and others say something else and then it seems that the chosen few who are in the know, nod nod, wink wink are able to reload and everybody else is told no you cant do it.

check quote = Sparks =You need to get the explosives licence. Start with form C-49 and go from there. Chem has a post on the process on here, do a quick search for "explosives" in the forum. The process is... convoluted. However, several people have apparently gone through it (ask sidneyreilly) and are reloading at the moment perfectly legally.

SO SOME people have the license and most others cant get it ( who you know, not what you know) typical Irish way.

As with most things in this counrty the law does not move as fast as people would like. It is easier to reload on the frindge of the law then it is to do it fully legal. Only problem is if your caught:eek: Again might mean a slap on the wrist or a court case! dont be risking your licenced firarms until things are finalised by law;)

chem wrote: »
    As with most things in this counrty the law does not move as fast as people would like. It is easier to reload on the frindge of the law then it is to do it fully legal. Only problem is if your caught:eek: Again might mean a slap on the wrist or a court case! dont be risking your licenced firarms until things are finalised by law;)

Don't worry I wont and I don't. But this still doesn't answer the question as to
    how the chosen few got their licenses to do it.

As I have said before nod nod wink wink , put you application in a brown envelope and give it to someone you know on the inside, then it doesn't take that long.

And the sooner that these things are brought out into the open the more fair the system will be.

The rules applied equally across the board.

Don't worry I wont and I don't. But this still doesn't answer the question as to
    how the chosen few got their licenses to do it.

As I have said before nod nod wink wink , put you application in a brown envelope and give it to someone you know on the inside, then it doesn't take that long.

And the sooner that these things are brought out into the open the more fair the system will be.

The rules applied equally across the board.

Ah bee gora. sure tis the Irish was of doin things dont yea know:D

Yep there is still a strong culture of "its not what you know, it who you know" in this country alright:mad:

I have to agree with mick just ask a couple of questions down the range and the firing line clears like you just s--t yourself:mad::mad::mad:. They seem to feel if word gets out doj will change things and outlaw it:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Like everything Mick there's two answers depending on the question you ask ;)

There's a reloading licence mentioned in the principal act which hasn't been commenced yet. The person you asked probably thought you were referring to that and so their answer was correct.

On the other hand there's the procedure that Sparks outlined and that's perfectly legal. The only difference is that it isn't a law specifically to do with reloading, but with permission to hold explosives (under the explosives act) which is what reloading equipment was always considered to be until the 2006 act which first introduced the concept as a separate entity.

The procedure to get an explosives permit is far more difficult and expensive than is envisaged for a reloading licence, so that's why most people don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

reloading in Ireland is akin to the french resistance its an underground
    hobby, and has been for years...............

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Can understand them being fussy RE black powder as it is at best a tempermental beast,and is an explosive in it's own right .
    However as usual things have moved on with the advent of nitrocelluose and pryodex powders.Which are alot safer and less explosive in an uncontained storage.So much so that there are proably more explosive and combustible items in a normal household thesedays than a can of powder.Even if you are storing petrol for the lawn mower that is more explosive and combustible than modern nitrocellusoe powder.

For shooting it really does need to be looked at.Even to the point that it seems if you are a gun dealer you can reload ammo.Wonder why no one is doing that yet??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Not realoding - have no interest in it.

You can start with a C-49 (Explosives license) - up to your super whether it is accepted or not - same as everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sikasmicke

Whats all the fuss about, I reload every time I fire a shot. I reload my rifle and my pistol. If I called the DOJ Firearms Legal section do you think they would say that I am breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's concerning reloading of ammunition.

It's concerning reloading of ammunition.
    Really! Thanks for that, saved me a call to the DOJ Firearms Legal Section.

sikasmicke , I bet you are , you seem to be getting very annoyed.

Watch your blood pressure you know what the doctor told you cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

sikasmicke wrote: »
    Whats all the fuss about, I reload every time I fire a shot. I reload my rifle and my pistol. If I called the DOJ Firearms Legal section do you think they would say that I am breaking the law.

If people took the time to read the posts properly, this kind of confussion wouldn't happen and blood pressures would remain normal.................As the real Sikamick says "Chill Out" ...........:cool:

:DEasy boys , Jesus talk about a can of worm:D:D:D
    any its only me hornet i want to reload for (650 rounds for 1lb. of power, to mean to reload for anything else)

Interesting item just spotted on justice.ie:D

3. Registered Premises

Mode B: A substantial receptical or safe inside a dwelling house or public room. General limit = 22.68kg (50lbs) or double this if kept in a fireproof safe.
    (Conversions for SAA: 1lb= 7,000grains of powder, 500lbs = 106,000 x 30grain ctges, 41,000 x 85grain ctges, or 83,000 x 42 grain ctges.)

Sale of Explosives

The sale of explosives is dealt with in EA Section 30-32:
    - Section 30 restricts sale in public places
    - Section 31 makes it an offence to sell to a child under 13 years:D
    - Section 32 requires sales to be in closed labelled packages.

S.I No 364 of 1997: The Sale of Explosives Order 1997:
    This order requires that certain substances which have been deemed as explosives can only be sold to persons if they have the appropriate police certificate. This certificate is issued by a Garda Superintendent when satisfied that the explosives are required for immediate industrial or agricultural use or for private use and not for resale. The seller of the explosive must keep records of all transactions

Reloading is done in Northern Ireland no problem

What if you reloaded ammunition in Northern Ireland and used it in the south, it that breaking the law? Question for the DOJ Firearms Department!

Why does it appear to be more dangerous to reload ammo in the south when it can be easily done in NI??

How do you tell the diifference of ammo reloaded and out of a box.

Reloading is done in Northern Ireland no problem
    And they speak french in France.
    What if you reloaded ammunition in Northern Ireland and used it in the south, it that breaking the law?
    No, it's not, because the act of reloading is the question and it's legal in the south at the moment and until the relevant section is commenced, it will continue to be legal in the south; after which it will still be legal in the south, but you'll need a different licence to do it.
    Also, even if it were illegal to reload in the south, you wouldn't be reloading in the south, so it'd be a nonissue.
    Question for the DOJ Firearms Department!
    That's not a question, it's a display of both a lack of knowlege (no harm there) and a willingness to find any and all work-arounds, scams, loopholes and edge cases to get around the rules on the part of the person asking the DoJ (and that they'd be less receptive to).

• Advertisement

Its legal to reload here in the south but you can not get the powder import licence to do it;)

Advertisement