Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was that an insult?!

Options
  • 13-03-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

<Mod Lords and Ladies destroy this thread if its irrelevant>

was reading over some theology and pop culture notes for college, and the lecturer notes this
    lecturer wrote:
    Homer – essentially a pagan. His stupidity never pays off. Bart – archetypal Bad Little Boy – Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, Buster Brown, Artful Dodger. His pranks are either thwarted or turned to ultimate good.
    Marge and Lisa – observant Christians.
    Ned Flanders – exponent of a Christian life well lived. Self-sacrificial. The best person on the show. JHN 143. (John 1:43?/ John 14:3?)
    the theology course is totally christian based.
    im confused by the homer quote.
    also Lisa = Buddhist now :rolleyes: lol

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I am pretty sure someone was insulted but f*cked if I knwo who. I know the weight of a man who values Flanders as the best carachter in the Simpsons isnt worth much though, so I wouldnt worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Jesjes wrote: »
    I am pretty sure someone was insulted but f*cked if I knwo who. I know the weight of a man who values Flanders as the best carachter in the Simpsons isnt worth much though, so I wouldnt worry about it.

Homer isn't a Pagan,, he is the epitome of a lapsed Christian. In fact, Flanders trys to "rebirth" Homer at one stage, in a classic act of latent proselytisation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Homer isn't a Pagan,, he is the epitome of a lapsed Christian. In fact, Flanders trys to "rebirth" Homer at one stage, in a classic act of latent proselytisation.

With classic one liners like;
    "I can't be a missionary! I don't even believe in Jebus!"

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

I think he's batting for another team...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 laughin'joe

I think he says what every man wants to say really in a time of need...sure you might as well be asking for superman because all the prayers in the world never help us....and really have never have helped....oh! I'm might be struck down now....that's right!!! super man doesn't exist what was I thinking..... :D
    Dyflin wrote: »
    With classic one liners like;
    "I can't be a missionary! I don't even believe in Jebus!"

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

I think he's batting for another team...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nerin wrote: »
    <Homer – essentially a pagan. His stupidity never pays off

Yet he's managed to meet presidents, hold down a job despite no qualification at it, travel to space, tour with lolapalooza, stay married and out of prison....He's obviously better versed at his Bible than the Simpsons. He needs to see the episode with "Grimey".

• Advertisement
Advertisement