Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E39 - shakes when cold :(

Options
  • 13-03-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

My petrol E39 has been causing some problems, only when cold.

Symtoms...
    Car shakes at idle - feels like it's down a cylinder

When taking of from a cold start, mpg gauge goes to ten, and when I push the clutch it hovers at 20 and refuses to go back to the 50+ mark.

Struggles for power.

Also, what is strange is, is that when it's like this, i stop the car, turn off the ignition, turn on the ignition, the shaking goes away, and the car runs somewhat better and gets it's power back.

These problems only happen when the engine is cold, or when the car hasnt been started on a few hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

MAF sensor problem? Could be the wrong fuel/air mixture. Or maybe some other sensor? Vague googling gave lots of results about cleaning or replacing MAF sensors in E39s...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Cleaned it and replaced it. Mmm, wouldnt count for it only happening when being cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Did you take a look at the following:

Idle control, Lambda, Coilpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

for something like that, best get it diagnosed.

Mr.Diagnostic on here will put you right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

I guy I know had a similar problem.

Turned out to be an injector fault.

• Advertisement

Was down as Mr. Diagnostic last year, he couldnt put his finger on it, unless he had saw the problem first hand.

Havent checked the idle control.
    Lambda was checked, and faulty packs were changed out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

My petrol E39 has been causing some problems, only when cold.

Symtoms...
    Car shakes at idle - feels like it's down a cylinder

When taking of from a cold start, mpg gauge goes to ten, and when I push the clutch it hovers at 20 and refuses to go back to the 50+ mark.

Struggles for power.

Also, what is strange is, is that when it's like this, i stop the car, turn off the ignition, turn on the ignition, the shaking goes away, and the car runs somewhat better and gets it's power back.

These problems only happen when the engine is cold, or when the car hasnt been started on a few hours.

I have the exact same issue with mine. It happens very rarely. Once when I left the car in the underground car park in work for 4 days and recently as last week when we had the freak snow storm for a few hours. When the car starts the engine vibrates.. if I don't give it any power it conks out after a couple of seconds.. Starting it the second time is usually fine. Its a weird one.. Never have any other issues with it bar those two times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It could be a MAF issue they seem to give trouble with various symptoms. I would also suggest there is a problem with the cold start set up, maybe its staying on too long. It could be the ECU coolant temperature sensor.

Give Alan a call at AC Cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

oil air and lead change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I had that issue with mine, and it was the MAF. However, if it is, it should show up on a diagnostic - mine did.

For your wallets sake, I hope it isn't!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Fey! wrote: »
    For your wallets sake, I hope it isn't!!!

The big 'N'?

Replaced MAFs already, 2 spurious ones, cheaps money. Bosche ones are too damn expensive tbh.

MAF fault didn't show up on the diag. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Any chance of it being bad fuel? Do you use the same filling station all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Was down as Mr. Diagnostic last year, he couldnt put his finger on it, unless he had saw the problem first hand.

I dont remember this one. When did I have it in, and for how long?

As a matter of interest, what did I advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

My misses has the exact same problem. Diagnostics came up as coils so we changed the coils, still happened. Brought it back to bmw a week later and they said coils again, told them that just a week ago they changed the coils and they said oh, its the tappets so?? Just the fact it only happens on first start up and as soon as you turn it off and on its perfect I think it has to be electronic rather than mechanical, am I right?

It seems strange that it is obvioulsy a quite common problem on e39's but nobody seems to know what it is? Another garage said it could be the cam positioning sensor but wasn't sure and she didn't have the money to spend on an chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

my S320 does the exact same thing when started from cold, once the gauage hits 40 degrees she gets a little wobble, nothing major and wants to go like a bat out of hell (ie holding on to 1st gear), had it to 2 separate mechanics and the couldn't nail it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

its caused by the HVA's (hydraulic valve adjusters), shaky when cold, poor perf, and intermittent eml. Costly to do if not in warranty as its cams out. 4 hva's per cylinder, and best doing the lot considering 90% of the job is stripping. Enjoy

Time to offload :(

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

EnterNow wrote: »
    its caused by the HVA's (hydraulic valve adjusters), shaky when cold, poor perf, and intermittent eml. Costly to do if not in warranty as its cams out. 4 hva's per cylinder, and best doing the lot considering 90% of the job is stripping. Enjoy

I very much doubt that.

In fact, even as a non gambler type I would lay money against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

I'm having the same trouble.

Brought it to Murphy & Gunn first time it happened. They hooked up to computer and said it was probably dirty petrol and to run it hard. Said the diagnostic threw up that one of the pistons was acting up. Said it if wasn't dirty petrol the piston would have to be sorted. Quoted approx 1500 (gulp). Only happens on cold days I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Anybody fix this or find out conclusively whats causing it since the tread started? Ours is still doing it and we are thinking again about trying to get it fixed...

Advertisement