Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bearded dragon questions

Options
  • 13-03-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭

Quick questions for you guys!

I'm thinking of getting a beardie, but am finding conflicting advice on the net (nothing new there then!) regarding substrate...

I'm thinking newspaper may be the best way forward, as it's easy to replace, will absorb moisture and won't cause any health hazards to the beardie. However, it's not exactly the prettiest thing in the bottom of a vivarium! I see lots of photos of beardies with sand, and some people say it's a good substrate, same with wood chips, but then others say sand is bad because it can lead to impaction, and wood is bad because it holds moisture and can cause health problems then due to bacteria.

What would you recommend?

Also, I was given a vivarium, but it seems rather small to me, measuring about 2ft x 2ft, and about 3ft tall. I don't see this giving the beardie much room to wander around, especially as they're not the best climbers, and it would suit a corn snake/gekko more. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

All I used to use was newspaper--try get plain stuff with no ink on it-even ordinary photocopy paper is better than sand in my opinion.
    Beardies live on hard compacted sand in the wild so loose sand is a no-no if you ask me.

Sand is ok for older beardies but I never used it.
    You could try this if you wanted and make a "floor" out of it--- http://www.exotic-pets.eu/rock-wall.php

Your 2x2 viv will do for a couple of years but you will need a bigger one at least 3ft long-preferably 4ft for a single beardie.

You could make one for around 40 euros if youre handy.

I made a 6 ft one for mine and built it in to a cove in the sitting room.
    Theres pictures somewhere here of it.

Dont forget your heatlamps and UVB(If you want a starter unit I have one here that you can have for free--it was salvaged from and old flourescent lamp but its perfect and will run any bulb up to 4 ft long)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Thanks! Was given the vivarium by my Aunt, whos husband built a viv for their beardie. She gave me the lamps too, and there is one of those fake rock things against the back glass. I'd say it'd look great as a floor thing too, but I'd imagine cleaning wouldn't be the easiest!

I think the lamps are the right ones, but I'm planning to call into Reptile haven and bring the lamps with me to ensure that they're alright, and have everything ready and set up long before I get the beardie.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I think the lamps are the right ones, but I'm planning to call into Reptile haven and bring the lamps with me to ensure that they're alright, and have everything ready and set up long before I get the beardie.

Just pop a pic of the bulbs up and Ill let you know if theyre the right ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ah cool thanks, I'll do that when I get home! :)

Advertisement