Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crafty cats beating high-tech cat flap

Options
  • 13-03-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

OK, so I have a cat (Scamper) that has made friends with another cat in the neighbourhood (Ginger). They hang out and play together - all good, they keep each other company during the day.

We have a cat flap in the back door so Scamper can come and go as he pleases. Ginger discovered the flap, and started letting herself in, so I went and got an expensive infrared controlled cat flap that will only let a cat in via a specific dongle on their collar. This worked great, and all was well.

However, the flap is activated if Scamper comes within about a foot of the door. What is happening now is that when Scamper is in the house, Ginger scratches madly at the flap trying to get in. Scamper casually walks right up to the flap, which activates it, and Ginger can saunter in and make herself at home! Basically, he's letting her in - defeating the purpose of the expensive cat flap. :(

Does anyone have any idea on how to dissuade a cat from coming into the house? Obviously each time I find her in, I put her outside (to much protest from her), but this mostly happens during the day when we're at work - or at night when we're in bed. Repellent isn't an option, as I obviously don't want to get rid of my own cat. The one solution that would usually be suggested is a magnetic/infrared flap - but this is the very thing these crafty cats are circumventing!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

:D Thats hilarious! Sorry I don't have any suggestions!

Maybe just accept the fact that they are soul mates and let Ginger hang out at your house too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

MsFifers wrote: »
    :D Thats hilarious! Sorry I don't have any suggestions!

Maybe just accept the fact that they are soul mates and let Ginger hang out at your house too!

MsFifers, you are a true romantic!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

that is a funny story cute or what.Im stumped for an answer to that query!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Haha - you have a slut-cat, bringing strangers home! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

MsFifers wrote: »
    :D That's hilarious! Sorry I don't have any suggestions!

It is pretty funny :D

Well, we had considered taking her on, as we didn't know if anyone was looking after her. But after a bit of research, I've seen fresh food left out for her at her house (they don't seem to let her indoors - she seems have a little hut at the side of their house), so as they are her rightful owners, I don't want to go encouraging her at all.

In any case, she's a hungry beast and is eating all Scamper's food. He just sits there looking confused. Their playing has turned a bit too rough a couple of times in the house, and I don't want them fighting in here. Scamper tries to do enough damage on his own.

She came in this morning as I was getting ready for work, so I chased her with a spray bottle of water to dissuade he from coming in. Of course, as the house has been empty all day, I'm sure she's been back. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Glowing wrote: »
    Haha - you have a slut-cat, bringing strangers home! :D

Yeah, I've tried the whole "While you're under my roof you'll obey my rules" speech, but you know what they're like... :p

come lets get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Can you give a link to the exact catflap you are using please?

javaboy wrote: »
    Can you give a link to the exact catflap you are using please?

This is the one:

http://www.petdoorsonline.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Infra_Red_Cat_Flaps_13.html

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

Post your pet shop horror stories here !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

lucozader wrote: »
    Post your pet shop horror stories here !
    Why? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

phutyle wrote: »

I love the way it says "access for yor cat only" :)

The catflap has met its match.

Advertisement