Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re Gerbils or Guinea Pigs

Options
  • 13-03-2008 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hey all,

I am living in an apartment and am thinking of getting a pet. OH and I work during day but gen one us back between 1- 3ish. Since our place isnt big and we have no garden, we thought of either guinea pigs or gerbils as they are diurnal and from what we have read elsewhere, they rarely bite and we could have a lot of interaction with them. We would be getting a pair of either as i know they need and love company.

Now for the questions.

Which would you recommend and why?
    In regards to smell which of these would smell the least? we dont own accomm hence worry re smell
    What type housing could i use to for them indoors?
    Are there any major health issues to watch out for?

oops mind gone blank will be back with more questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

I'd recommend GPs, they're friendlier and more vocal than gerbils and they don't smell as much

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

Guiney pigs are or can be very nervous and poo all the time :)
    Gerbils are crazy things,they are VERY fast though...but they do smell more
    My cousins had a guiney pig and it lasted for years,i didn't know how long they lived!!They are lovely once they get used to you though.I'd agree,guiney pigs so long as your not too loud or anything they'd be fine.
    I love pet rats though,they may smell but that's why you have to change their bedding alot,they are pretty smart and can have great personalities...but they need to sleep in the day and in the dark really :p

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

what type of accommodation would you recommend for living indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

just make sure the cage is a fair size for them,that they have enough room to run about when your not there to look after them,it's good to have a little box that they can hide in,use sawdust or straw or whatever you can get that they can move around,a water bottle and appropriate food.ask in the pet store,but don't let them go mad trying to sell you random stuff you don't need....in fact,ignore me and read these :) i haven't had these pets in years

http://www.guineapigcages.com/

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/gerbils/Gerbils.htm

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/careofrats/Rats.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I'd go with the gerbils.

Personally I think its better if there is a garden that a GP can have a secure run in. They love grass and will go mad for dandelion leaves.

• Advertisement

thanks for that and this might sound mad but i would be happy to build/buy an enclosed run and bring it and them to the park or to visit family house to nibble the grass

Also just wondering health wise i ws reading that gps are partial to lice and gen carry 3 different tyes of parasites on them at the one time. Is this true and if so how would this be irradicated and how often would it occur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Not too sure about the public park just in case a dog came along or one gives you the slip.

If you can 'borrow' a lawn make sure weedkiller hasn't been used on it.

When my pigs got lice I brought them to the vet as they very quickly developed hair loss.

As long as you wash out the accomadation with hot water and a bit of Dettol once in a while you should be fine. I did mine on warm days in Spring and Autumn.

Its cheaper to build than to buy, but if your not DIY minded it may be simpler to buy, just make sure the bottom doesn't have any wire as pigs don't burrow. You can transfer colds from pig to human and vice versa.

Good luck with it, they're great characters.

thanks for that didnt realise they could catch human diseases. In relation to pregnancy( a future one of mine not theirs:D ) can i still clean out their faeces if i wear gloves or are their other things apart from toxiplasmosis i should be aware of

re diet where can i get good hay in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

You can get hay in the pet shops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

I posted a reply on PI, don't know if you got to read it because it got pushed down;)

Advertisement