Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi region DVD player

Options
  • 13-03-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Hey, i'm looking for a decent multi region player, but one that's not three expensive!

they were selling one in Argos a while back but they've discontinued it. It was only about €25-30 and everyone i look for now is priced in the fifties.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi,
    Nearly all dvd players are mulit region there's just a SW code locking them to a region.
    All you need to do is input the code on the remote.
    These codes can be found in a load of sites. I had a good one before but can't find it at the moment.
    My suggestion is google the cheapest one in argos for the code.
    Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

cheers!
    didn't know you could clear the codes o.0

i'll have look at a few on that site too, thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭plodder

I just bought a cheap Argos DVD player (a DS-306A) for 24.99 euros. I've searched d'internet for unlock codes, but I can't find them anywhere. It seems this player is customised for Argos. Their logo comes up when you switch it on. So, I would be surprised if the region code can be unlocked on this player. But I'll be happy to be proved wrong about this, if anyone knows better.:)

So, my advice would be, if you want a multi-region player, make sure it can be unlocked before you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

plodder wrote: »
    I just bought a cheap Argos DVD player (a DS-306A) for 24.99 euros. I've searched d'internet for unlock codes, but I can't find them anywhere. It seems this player is customised for Argos. Their logo comes up when you switch it on. So, I would be surprised if the region code can be unlocked on this player. But I'll be happy to be proved wrong about this, if anyone knows better.:)

So, my advice would be, if you want a multi-region player, make sure it can be unlocked before you buy it.

Thing is your not really unlocking it, just changing the region.
    Nearly all the dvd players are made in china and then set up for whatever region there going to (1,2,3 ect).

When you 'unlock' a dvd player your just changing the region to 0, which means it plays any dvd.

The only dvd player iv come across that cant be changed are game consoles.

• Advertisement

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Thing is your not really unlocking it, just changing the region.
    Nearly all the dvd players are made in china and then set up for whatever region there going to (1,2,3 ect).

When you 'unlock' a dvd player your just changing the region to 0, which means it plays any dvd.

The only dvd player iv come across that cant be changed are game consoles.
    Locking, shmocking .... I think people understand what the word means in this context.

If you know of a code for the Argos player, I'm all ears, but anyway I don't think it is wise to advise people that all DVD players can be unlocked, because you can't really know that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Locking, shmocking .... I think people understand what the word means in this context.

If you know of a code for the Argos player, I'm all ears, but anyway I don't think it is wise to advise people that all DVD players can be unlocked, because you can't really know that for sure.

Yes they can, either by hardware or software modification. Its the same laser, same photodetector and same motor for all regions. Theres just a flag embedded on the disc indicating the region in question and the detector algorithm makes a decision based on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

+1 YES they can be unlocked.....plodder you are mistaken - do you think the manufacturers have a different factory for each region? no they do not...the product is simply region locked via software......which can be unlocked either via remote or unit.
    consoles only exception where usually require hardware tinkering

-1. I don't want to be pedantic, but the OP asked for advice on multi-region players and I think the advice you are giving might be wrong (ie. that ALL players can be unlocked). If you can get me unlock instructions for the Argos player I mentioned, I'll be happy to say I'm wrong. Modding a DVD player by "chipping" is rubbish. Who is going to spend 20-30 euros on a player, and then go to that kind of trouble?

What I said was that people should check that the player they want to buy can be unlocked before buying it, rather than assuming that all players can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

I just bought a cheap Argos DVD player (a DS-306A) for 24.99 euros..

any idea if it wil play DivX or avi files ?

/ds

• Advertisement

demosuzki wrote: »
    any idea if it wil play DivX or avi files ?

/ds

No. Only DVD , CD, and JPEG picture disks, I'm afraid .....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

What about this one?
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Mikomi_DS_306__6726932
    Does it look like this one?

inforfun wrote: »
    What about this one?
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Mikomi_DS_306__6726932
    Does it look like this one?
    Yes, it looks the same.

Advertisement