Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying 130 euro for gps for 2 weeeks in america

Options
  • 13-03-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Hi that is the price i was quoted for just over 2 weeks of gps in a rental car,
    or there any other more reasonable options such as paying maybee 200euro for a gps machine i can use at home and in america?
    any help would be much appreciated thank you.
    I am sure that the gps in shops only work in europe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

I bought the Garmin 770 for 370 euro delivered from Pentagon GPS....V10 maps on it for UK Europe and US. Im going to America in the Summer and probably next year so it will pay for itself after two trips as ill be using it here aswell!!

Get a Garmin but you will need one with the US mapping...which will be the 270,370,670 or 770 model....of i think you could but another model which is regionlized but would need to buy it over there and it would contain just US mapping and would be cheap.

If you get a Garmin with no US maps you will need to upgrade later which wil be another 100 odd euro which isnt worth it as you may as well buy it all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Didgey

www.mysatnav.ie are selling Garmin nuvi 270, which has Ireland, UK, Europe and North America for €299. If you are not interested in all the extras like bluetooth and mp3 players then the 270 is the one to go for!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Cheaper here http://www.pentagongps.co.uk/s.do?searchForm=3&resultsPerPage=20&searchBox=2&name=garmin+270&keywords=

169 sterling plus 10 for shipping, = 240 euro approx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Rafloution wrote: »

excellent i think i will buy that, can you just confirm that that is the one price i pay for life.
    it will then work in any car and there is no need for any other accessory or subscription etc?
    thank you.

sorry for bumping but if anyone can answer the above question i will buy it this evening, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

SC - what you get is a unit that fits into any car - usually you use a supplied mount that attaches to the windscreen. The only cabling in the charger which fits yer normal cigar lighter. When it's charged the batteries last for 2 or 3 hours if you happen to take it out of the car and use it in pedestrian mode.
    As far as subscriptions goes - well the 2xx series don't have traffic alerts or anything so that doesn't apply. You could subscribe to speed camera updates I suppose but that's about the only subscription I can think of. Unlike expensive GPS units that come installed in higher end cars there's no automatic map update subscription service for Garmin 2xx (or any nuvi) units - every year or so you will be able to BUY the next mapping update - but that will likely be 80 to 100 euro/dollars/whatever depending on how wide an area you want to cover. Somebody saw the full Europe 2008 maps at 89 Euro in Hardly Normals this week - yet it's built in to the nuvi 250 which now sells for about €150. So many people are of the opinion that it will probably be cheaper to buy a new unit in say 2 years time with even better features than to keep updating and paying for the maps. For the time you will save and the incredible confidence you will get to go ANYWHERE buy the thing - you really can't go wrong.
    However - you could also buy a nuvi 200 in the US for maybe $150 - this will come with 48 states maps - and just give it to a US friend as a gift when you leave. Amazon US could ship to your hotel, for instance.
    Hope this helps. db.

great thanks again i just ordered it there!

Advertisement