Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is €400 too much?

Options
  • 13-03-2008 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I was in Brown Thomas today looking for a new coat, besides getting my mother a gift voucher from there I'd never been in there before. Eventually found a coat that I really liked...but it cost €425.

Is that too much for a coat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

totally depends on a million things eg.how much your earning, how much you like the coat, how much wear you'll get from it etc

I wouldnt dream of spending that much on a coat but im a student, plus i get bored of wearing the same item of clothing more than a few times...

totally depends!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's not too much if it's a classic, well-made, well-cut coat. If you think that you'll get more than a few year's wear out of it, then it's well worth it.

If it's a fashion coat, or lightweight material, then I'd think twice. However, it's hard to judge without seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

depends, coats can last for ages if they're good.
    my 300 quid gore tex jacket has been doing the rounds for ages now but it's still as good as the day i got it.
    as dudara said, if it's a classic looking one it may be worth it, but take a peak elsewhere as you could get something similar for a lot less

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Yep, like the others said, depends on a whole lot of things... Can you afford it, first? I couldn't afford to spend that much on a coat right now!
    Second, is it a fairly classic design that you will keep wearing for years, or is the design very obviously 'of this season'? Also, what material is it made of, how durable will it be etc. Also, are you the kind of person who likes to weak fairly stylish but classic designs, or are you quite into following seasonal trends? If you are in the second group, you may find, like me, that you buy a coat or whatever and justify the expense by saying that you'll wear it for years... then next season you get tired of it and want something new! If you will really wear it for years though, then it would be well worth the expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

nope, if it suits you, looks well, you like it, etc then buy it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

If you're posting here asking if €400 is too much for a coat then it probably is too much for you.

But for me...it's not. I would spend that if i loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

If you can afford to pay for it and not put it on a credit card then buy it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

no, if its not overstretching your income by splashing out, why not treat yourself?if its a classic it will last many seasons anyway so think of it as an investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

if its a classic cut and wont go out of fashion, if you can afford it, if you really really like it and think you will get lots of wear out of it. i think its a bit much really but thats just me and my budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A good, classic coat is worth it, as it will last a while, and you can combine it with other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TEDDYBEAR90

If it looks good and you can afford it then go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Pretty soon it's going to be getting a too bit warm to be wearing coats...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bought a coat for nearly €500 in Arnotts about 5 years ago and still have it. Got it dry cleaned yesterday and it looks as good as new. Mates slag me for looking like a coal man though ;) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I bought it. My internet was down yesterday so I never saw any of the replies until now, maybe my original post was just thinking out loud (or something like that).

So I really like it, it looks great, feels great, fits great and everything. Very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Good for you!

Advertisement