Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City of Heroes / Villians: Issue 12 - Midnight Hour

Options
  • 13-03-2008 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of info on the new upcoming update has been released.

http://eu.cityofheroes.com/game-guide/feature-updates/issue_12_midnight_hour/

Not so sure about all the Roman stuff... but the Epic Archetypes for the villians should be interesting... I've almost got my main character up to level 50 now, so I'll be able to give that a go.

And a hospital in the Hollows...? Finally!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How easy would this be to pick it up now? I've always meant to give it another go, but i havent gotten around to it yet. Have they implemented any faster ways of levelling at first, like Warcraft now has?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Levelling in City of Heroes is really quick, and they've made it even faster with the "XP Curve Smoothing" thing they brought in a little while ago: http://www.cityofheroes.com/feature_update_issue_11c.html
    Sometimes I think levelling up is a little *too* fast - I've run out of space for making new characters on the server I play most on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep leveling is supposed to be about 25% faster now.

I remember when I gave up playing about a year ago I was stuck on level 42 for ages.... But since I started playing again I've been able to work my way up to level 48 pretty quickly.

I'm enjoying the Rikti alien invasions that keep happening all over the place lately.

Yeah, the Rikti invasions are deadly fun! I hate the spammed heals though, I always turn my sound down when I'm in the middle of the end part of the invasion, the sound of all the heals going off does my head in.

Do you play on the US or European servers, monkeyfudge? I play on US server Guardian.

I'm on the EU servers.

I used to use Defiant... but it always seems a bit empty.

Started using Union when I started back recently and I've found it a lot more busy... I even paid to transfer over one of my characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

meh i dont have enough character slots left to use most of the new power sets, still a defiant player, tho villains is a lot more active on union

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Do you guys know if there is a free trail deely for city of heros? like in WoW or SWG?

'AL wrote:
    [EN;55387447']Do you guys know if there is a free trail deely for city of heros? like in WoW or SWG?

Yep... any current user should be able to refer you for a 10 day trial.

http://uk.cityofheroes.com/refer_a_friend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can i get one of these if possible?

Sure thing. PM me an email address and I'll give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

dammit, I was clean! and now after reading the updates I am one click away from re-activating my subscription. I hate you all!!!!

Which server do you play on so I can hunt you down and make you suffer for stirring my addiction......

I think I have free trials available too - if someone wants one, shoot me a PM with email address.

same goes for me

Just got cught in the middle of a rikti invasion battle. toddling along through atlas park when "BOOOOOOM" I'm at feck all health and stunned... cue massive street fight with orbital bombardment. Died twice (no debt, is this normal?) and raked in a load of XP. Definitely a nice addition to the game...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

LoLth wrote: »
    Died twice (no debt, is this normal?)
    Yes this is normal but ONLY when the Rikti are blasting the crap out of everyone in that particular zone. Rikti War Zone is quite fun also until you meet a pylon...

On another note: got my Blaster, Master of Nothing to 50 :pac: yay !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Pity I only heard about this the day I restarted WoW, was looking for a MMO to play until WAR drops and have a sealed copy of Villains lying about.

Maybe in a month or so.

I started playing this again on sunday night . I had 2 characters on level 14, for the past couple of years. I started a new character on monday night and i am now on level 13 !! Only a few hours play. I actually picked up a 15 day game card in HMV for 2.99 .

I started playing this again on sunday night . I had 2 characters on level 14, for the past couple of years. I started a new character on monday night and i am now on level 13 !! Only a few hours play. I actually picked up a 15 day game card in HMV for 2.99 .

The lower levels generally tear past in a blur alright. it does slow down but nowhere near as much as it used to (finally got my blaster off 24th level hwere he had been stuck for a few months... after a week, he's almost 26th!).

15day card for 2.99 ? thats better than the credit card payments! can you buy multiple cards ?

The lower levels generally tear past in a blur alright. it does slow down but nowhere near as much as it used to (finally got my blaster off 24th level hwere he had been stuck for a few months... after a week, he's almost 26th!).

15day card for 2.99 ? thats better than the credit card payments! can you buy multiple cards ?

I only found 1 in hmv on grafton street. What is the best level to play on ? I have a Human blaster but he levels so slow. I have a Science Tanker that is leveling so fast. I want to get my Cape at level 20.

Hard to level a tanker while soloing though... you just don't deal out enough damage. But they're great on a team.

Master Minds are great for quickly leveling while soloing.

• Advertisement

unfortunatly 8 mm's on the same team is a lagfest... especially in cot caves, and arachnos base maps.

Was messing about on my peace bringer last night, now i havent seen a single cyst crystal in about 4 or 5 months...and what happens... we get 3 in 1 room, got em all eventually... along with debt and damage taken badges. Those things are bad enough when alive...one of them dying took out most the team(as they explode on death), bar the tank and I. Crazy fights are always the best I think

Well for me , i have been playing 1 week and i am now level 20. I have blasters that are not that good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Masterminds are my favourite class, but I have to agree that if the majority of the team are MMs, then it just gets insanely laggy. I've been on an 8 man team with 6 MMs, and once the fighting started I couldn't see a thing.

Also, more than about 3 MMs in an enclosed place (caves being the prime example) can also be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Hard to level a tanker while soloing though... you just don't deal out enough damage. But they're great on a team.

Master Minds are great for quickly leveling while soloing.

Your best bet is to get on teams. Big teams, and stay with them!

I always have trouble finding teams on Defiant so i moved to Freedom over on the US, never a problem there, but a good idea to help teaming is creating a bind for your invite tell I use
    /bind k "tell $target, Hi there! Would you fancy joining my team?"
    and another one to help you join a team, I use
    /bind l "tell $target, Hi there! Got any room for a level $level $archetype?"

Make things much swifter.

The main thing I am looking forward to is the power set diversification, I havent checked but I really want the Electric Shields for Tanks!

MM are definitely more powerful. I have two (melvin - a robot mastermind and captain krase a commando ). melvin is 14th after long hiatus but is stuck now on the codebreakers radio mission (cant reach the mission entrance, it seems to be 180 yards under the centre of cap au diable with no sewer entrances or underpasses etc...). Krase is 9th level after 5 hours. already he can take out 4 snakes , 3 minions and a lieutenant that all con orange and the lieut. as red. finished the snake missions from mongoose without taking a single point of damage and have sold a load of salvage giving him 200k infamy (at 8th level!).

my blaster is almost 27th now after being back for 2 weeks. Croatoa misions are a pain but I'm finally finished with the sky raiders...

However, I have a mutant Controller on defiant called planewalker1 (pesky character transfer) who is 14th level and has absolutely no way to do the dam mission on red river. I can control the minor fellas but there are more boss trolls than minion/lieutenants and calibans etc are immune to mind control. no one around interested in teaming up either for missions in the hollows.... :( . might just have to abandon that story arc.

MM are definitely more powerful.
    I think you are confusing the ease that toons can be soloed with how powerful they are! I use brutes on villains for soloing as I find MM's a bit painful. I am pretty sure all the archetypes are well balanced though, I don't think any one is stronger.
    ......and calibans etc are immune to mind control. no one around interested in teaming up either for missions in the hollows.... :( . might just have to abandon that story arc.

Calibans are not immune to holds, far from it, Bosses are resistant to up to Mag 4 holds IIRC, what Primary power set are you using? Most single target holds are of Mag 3, which means that a single application will not hold them, though if you hit with a second hold, while the first hold is still in "effect" (as in its still inside the first hold's duration but it is having no noticeable effect on the boss) then the mags will stack making it a Mag 6 hold and locking down the boss. The duration will be low however and you will need to re-apply constantly to keep him under.

Lastly - get on teams dude! Soloing is so boring compared ot the glory that is rivaling the Avengers :)

I will look for you on Defiant though I am on freedom most often.

MM are definitely more powerful. I have two (melvin - a robot mastermind and captain krase a commando ). melvin is 14th after long hiatus but is stuck now on the codebreakers radio mission (cant reach the mission entrance, it seems to be 180 yards under the centre of cap au diable with no sewer entrances or underpasses etc...).

I know exactly the one you mean. Go into the building above it, through the main doors (I think its the lobby with the sci/tech quartermasters in it) and one of the doors to the side will show as your mission entrance.

That bug seriously needs fixed. It drove me nuts as well.
    However, I have a mutant Controller on defiant called planewalker1 (pesky character transfer) who is 14th level and has absolutely no way to do the dam mission on red river. I can control the minor fellas but there are more boss trolls than minion/lieutenants and calibans etc are immune to mind control. no one around interested in teaming up either for missions in the hollows.... :( . might just have to abandon that story arc.

Unfortunately I don't have anything on Defiant, otherwise I could give you a hand. What is the character, what powers do you have? .. I might be able to offer a few pointers. Failing that, seem if you can find a nice high level wandering about who could take 5 minutes to steamroller the mission for you. Ok, you get no xp, but it gets that one out of the way.

Edit - forgot to mention, agree with what Mark says. You can take over bosses, you just need to hit them with 2-3 successfully confuses, and they will fall under your power.

I know exactly the one you mean. Go into the building above it, through the main doors (I think its the lobby with the sci/tech quartermasters in it) and one of the doors to the side will show as your mission entrance.

THANK YOU! I would name my first born after you for this but I think it would be slightly disadvantageous if it ends up being a girl and I want to send her to a catholic school......

THANK YOU! I would name my first born after you for this but I think it would be slightly disadvantageous if it ends up being a girl and I want to send her to a catholic school......

Its cool. That one screwed my head up for ages til someone showed me where the entrance actually was. I'm just repaying that favour along :)

Another thing I thought of afterwards was the ability to drop a mission as completed, which I think you can do once a week.

• Advertisement

Its cool. That one screwed my head up for ages til someone showed me where the entrance actually was. I'm just repaying that favour along :)

Another thing I thought of afterwards was the ability to drop a mission as completed, which I think you can do once a week.

Its once every three days now :)

Advertisement