Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Server question

Options
  • 12-03-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an app that needs to be run in SQL2000 emulation mode (the customer has SQL2005 installed hence the need for emulation).

When the emulation mode is switched on do the newer features that are in SQL2005 disapear?

Specifically 'replication' and 'transaction log shipping'?!?

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Unless its a very specific 2000 feature, nearly all 2000 dbs will work fine in 2005.

What is required in the DB that requires emulation mode

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I know for a fact that SQL Server 2000 supports replication, and I'm pretty sure it's almost functionally identical to replication in 2005 anyway, 2005 improved performance and manageability, but functionally it was almost the same. I'm also 95% sure it supported transaction log shipping too.

Anyway, I think in general for features like that where it's primarily a server function acting on the database most 2005 features are still available, it's more a case of things within the database (data types and structures, t-sql stored procedures etc) being not available.

Edit: and like Ginger say, unless you have something you know is very SQL 200 specific, it should work fine in 2005 aswell.

Advertisement