Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL - Best way to do this?

Options
  • 12-03-2008 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭

I have 3 tables - Events, People, PTypes.

Events has a PeopleID field, the PeopleID comes from the People table. The People has a PTYPEID field, this PTYPEID comes from the PTypes table.

There are three different PTypes, 1- Staff, 2- Visitor, 3- Inmate. These descriptions are held in PTypes under a description field, and referenced as 1, 2 or 3 around the database as PTYPEID.
    I need my report to be able to print out either Staff, Visitor or Inmate depending on which the Person is, just not sure how to link all the data together :confused:

My SQL so far looks like this:
    SELECT e.EventTypeID, EventTime, e.Description, e.PeopleID, e.EventID,(p.Forename + ' ' + p.Surname) AS UserName, (p.PTYPEID) as Operator 
    FROM Events e
    LEFT OUTER JOIN eventtypes t on e.EventTypeID = t.EventTypeID 
    LEFT OUTER JOIN people p on p.PeopleID = e.PeopleID
    WHERE (e.eventtypeid > 3000) and (e.eventtypeid < 4000)

That only prints the number, 1/2/3, how could i access the Description of the PTYPE?

Cheers
    Endo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

how could i access the Description of the PTYPE?

By joining to the PType table...

Advertisement