Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free energy and how it works

Options
  • 12-03-2008 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Heys guys,
    Im starting a house build and ive a few q's on energy efficency any help please
    1) Geo thermal heating how much money would it cost to run per annum considering the house im in at the moment I fill the kerosene tank at a cost of 1,200/1,300 per annum ?(1,500sq/ft)
    2) How much would it cost to install for a 2500sq/ft two story house?(4 bed,2 bathrooms kitchen sitting room reception room
    3)would it be wise to install under floor heating with this?
    Im of the impression that the water is heated under ground by the sun to a certain temperature and then you need an external heating system to bring it up to the required temp is this right (Q1)
    4)How much electricty do solar panels generate at present I pay about €50 a month would it be cost effective? would I still need to be plugged up to the grid and by this I mean about €600/year less in summer /more in winter
    5)would wind power be a good supplement/compliment for solar? through the winter months
    6)is there such a thing as overkill with regards to wall and attic insulation?
    With the way things are going at the moment with prices I want some of the free stuff I keep hearing about:):)
    Thanks guys
    Roy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to the Renewable Energies sub forum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

2) How much would it cost to install for a 2500sq/ft two story house?(4 bed,2 bathrooms kitchen sitting room reception room

This can depend on a number of factors.. particularly whether if you are using a vertical layout in the garden. Also, the price of the underfloor is separate.
    )would it be wise to install under floor heating with this?

Certainly. Underfloor heating is more efficent and economical at heat dispersion through out the house than rads.
    Im of the impression that the water is heated under ground by the sun to a certain temperature and then you need an external heating system to bring it up to the required temp is this right

No, not at all. Energy is taken from the earth, which stays at a relitevly consistant temp year round once you go to a certain depth., This energy is taken in and through the "Heat pump" is compressed to a temp to heat your water for rads and tap water through a tank in tank system.

It is rather similar to a fridge but works in reverse..
    4)How much electricty do solar panels

The vast majority of solar panels in domestic use in Ireland are for hotwater heating only. Some are used for Room heating, but its a different type of panel used for electricity.. these are called "solar cells"
    5)would wind power be a good supplement/compliment for solar? through the winter months

There are m0ore efficent products comming out, but at the moment, as far as im aware the cost benefit ratio of wind energy is dubious.

If you are going with geothermal, reputible suppliers will insist on specifying insulation values for your home which you must follow for a sucess full installment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

the GALL wrote: »
    Heys guys,
    Im starting a house build and ive a few q's on energy efficency any help please
    1) Geo thermal heating how much money would it cost to run per annum considering the house im in at the moment I fill the kerosene tank at a cost of 1,200/1,300 per annum ?(1,500sq/ft)
    3)would it be wise to install under floor heating with this?
    Im of the impression that the water is heated under ground by the sun to a certain temperature and then you need an external heating system to bring it up to the required temp is this right (Q1)
    4)How much electricty do solar panels generate at present I pay about €50 a month would it be cost effective? would I still need to be plugged up to the grid and by this I mean about €600/year less in summer /more in winter
    With the way things are going at the moment with prices I want some of the free stuff I keep hearing about:):)
    Thanks guys
    Roy

Snyper has given some good advice

A few other factors-
    4) Solar panels produce hot water
    Photovoltaic panels produce elctricity

Solar panels are a good idea
    Photovoltaic is much more expensive therefore takes much longer to pay themselves off, and if you produce electricity that isnt used by yourself it gets sent back to the grid, which you arent paid for (yet)

5) Wind turbine can have aesthetic problems and its harder to get permission to use them.

6) Go crazy on the insulation!!

Advertisement