Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freetext Search of DB table

Options
  • 11-03-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

Basically, I need to implement a free text search of a DB table with 100,000's of entries. I'm normally an app programmer so this is quite new to me and myself and a colleague spent a bit of time coming up with hare brained solutions for this today. I know this is a solved problem so if anyone can point me towards the correct resources then that would help.

The search query will be entered via a web form.

So what is the process when someone searches for a product, say on amazon and searches in all products? It searches the products column and can create a table with the result sets.

Is this the correct way of going about this?
    SQL Server Freetext

What are the strategies then for pruning that table into something more representative when this result set is huge?

How does one refine the set to be more selective, say one of each entry?

Sorry for the general questions, if folks here have some good links to examples it would be much appreciated, this whole web to DB thingy is all very new to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

markf909 wrote: »
    Basically, I need to implement a free text search of a DB table with 100,000's of entries. I'm normally an app programmer so this is quite new to me and myself and a colleague spent a bit of time coming up with hare brained solutions for this today. I know this is a solved problem so if anyone can point me towards the correct resources then that would help.

The search query will be entered via a web form.

So what is the process when someone searches for a product, say on amazon and searches in all products? It searches the products column and can create a table with the result sets.

Is this the correct way of going about this?
    SQL Server Freetext

What are the strategies then for pruning that table into something more representative when this result set is huge?

How does one refine the set to be more selective, say one of each entry?

Sorry for the general questions, if folks here have some good links to examples it would be much appreciated, this whole web to DB thingy is all very new to me.

Make the query as specific as possible and let SQL do the rest (pruning efficiencies etc.)

A couple of 100,000 entries isn't that big.

Advertisement