Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazillian

Options
  • 11-03-2008 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Heading for one tomorrow.

How sore are they? Is it ultra embarrassing???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Quite sore, not gonna lie, but not as bad as you'll expect. Take two panadol before hand, that'll help.

Nah it's not embarrassing if the beautician is professional!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Listen, nothing, I repeat, NOTHING prepares you for the pain. I walked in for my first one thinking I'd be fine - high pain threshold, not easily freaked out, yada yada yada. And yes, the beginning bit is grand, when it's just your bikini line. But as it gradually gets closer to your lady bits it gets a whole lot worse. The moment when hot wax is applied to your labia and you know that there's only one way that it's going to come off is one of those dear-god-i-didn't-think-this-through-at-all moments of your life. I swear I saw parts of my childhood flash before my eyes.

The most appropriate comparison I can think of is when Winston is about to be tortured in Orwell's 1984. He is confident that he'll make it through without giving up any secrets because he's a brave person, but the instant that the torture begins he realises that that doesn't count for anything and he'll do anything to just make the pain stop. That is what it's like. By the end, I was willing to tell my waxer anything, anything at all to just make the pain stop.

But here's the kicker - it's totally worth it. You come out feeling great for being so brave, plus it really does look great. And like Piste said, as long as the waxer is professional then it's not embarrassing at all. They've seen a gazillion of them already and yours isn't going to be any different so there's really no reason to worry. Do take a couple of painkillers beforehand though. That was my big mistake. Where are you getting it done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

definately take a couple of painkillers about half an hour before you go in - makes all the difference. personally i don't find it that sore. now don't get me wrong, it does sting for a second or two after the beautician whips off the waxing strip but the pain doesn't linger. and the more times you get it done the easier it is.
    as for it being embarrassing, well you just gotta remind yourself that the beauitican has seen it all before, so it's no big deal. although the first time i went i wasn't expecting to end up quite so exposed!!
    you'll be grand though. definately worth it. good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Ive never had a severely painful one, taking a couple of painkillers 30 mins beforehand does help, and it really depends on your pain threshhold I guess! Though ive a fairly low one in general, and my brazillians (and hollywood's!) have never been very traumatic. Just a kindof sting for 1 second when they rip it off as the above poster said. Also try not to tense up, if you relax you will also find it maybe a bit more painful. Also anticipation is the worst!

Defo worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Thanks lads, yer nothing but a bunch of legends!!! Found myself laughing out loud at the Orwell reference, I hope I can think of that to numb the pain! Ah! I'll let ye know how I get on tomorrow at 6:20pm..... eeekkk! Panadol all the way downed with a pint of vodka methinks!:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

No Alcohol, it makes you more likely to bleed, which is not pleasant.

Isn't there some product called "No Scream Cream"?

I've never had anything but a regular bikini wax and that was fecking awful, then again it could have been the beautician's fault, I'm not sure my skin was stretched enough.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm going away next week and thinking of having it done, how much growth would you need to have there to get it done? And approx how much does it cost, and can anyone recommend a good place? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Where are you getting it done? Please tell me its somewhere that uses the proper hot wax!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Yeah forgot to ass check with them to make sure they use hot peelable wax. Ive had the strips before for a brazillian and it was NOT as comfortable!

Ive been to loads of places and find Brazilia on South William St in Dublin to be the best, virtually pain free compared to some places ive been, theyve got different types of peelable wax for different areas down there, its all very proffesional!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Ive been to loads of places and find Brazilia on South William St in Dublin to be the best, virtually pain free compared to some places ive been, theyve got different types of peelable wax for different areas down there, its all very proffesional!

I'll second that, they're brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Hey lads, sorry for the delay! My god I expected it to be horrific but it was graaaaand! No bother, way less painful that what I expected! Eyebrows way worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Stargal wrote: »
    Listen, nothing, I repeat, NOTHING prepares you for the pain. I walked in for my first one thinking I'd be fine - high pain threshold, not easily freaked out, yada yada yada. And yes, the beginning bit is grand, when it's just your bikini line. But as it gradually gets closer to your lady bits it gets a whole lot worse. The moment when hot wax is applied to your labia and you know that there's only one way that it's going to come off is one of those dear-god-i-didn't-think-this-through-at-all moments of your life. I swear I saw parts of my childhood flash before my eyes.

The most appropriate comparison I can think of is when Winston is about to be tortured in Orwell's 1984. He is confident that he'll make it through without giving up any secrets because he's a brave person, but the instant that the torture begins he realises that that doesn't count for anything and he'll do anything to just make the pain stop. That is what it's like. By the end, I was willing to tell my waxer anything, anything at all to just make the pain stop.

But here's the kicker - it's totally worth it. You come out feeling great for being so brave, plus it really does look great. And like Piste said, as long as the waxer is professional then it's not embarrassing at all. They've seen a gazillion of them already and yours isn't going to be any different so there's really no reason to worry. Do take a couple of painkillers beforehand though. That was my big mistake. Where are you getting it done?

Man, you've just said that something you'd compare to having rats eat your face off is a small price to pay for a smooth cooch.. I'll never understand women :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Urban Wax near Stephen's Green SC is brilliant, little or no pain! And you can watch Will & Grace and SATC in the tv while she's doing it. Bit more expensive then regular places but going to a place that specializes in waxing is much better to the local therapist who does one every few months, BELIEVE ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

I had a very bad bikini waxing a couple of years ago..

I was bleeding and the bruises lasted for months.. Not a pretty sight when you are on hols, I couldnt go swimming and had to wear shorts all the time instead of bikini bottoms:eek::(.

I swore I would never get one again....

But I am sick of using creams and trimmers and now want something that looks good!! How exposed is exposed for a brazilian and hollywood??

I have regular smears and kinda cringe at those, are they worse than these? :D??!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Oh my gosh d-redser! I hope you complained and refused to pay.

How exposed? Well knickers are usually taken off if that's what you are asking. And you'll either be asked to roll over or lift your knees up to your chest so your bum is done. I don't see why you'd cringe at being waxed or having a smear done. The people you are seeing are trained professionals who have selected an industry where they know they'll be looking and poking at your bits and have no problem with it, why should you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭AngelinaJolie

I have to say Brazilia are the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Stargal wrote: »

obviously you're a bit of a PUSSY

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

daiixi wrote: »
    Oh my gosh d-redser! I hope you complained and refused to pay.

How exposed? Well knickers are usually taken off if that's what you are asking. And you'll either be asked to roll over or lift your knees up to your chest so your bum is done. I don't see why you'd cringe at being waxed or having a smear done. The people you are seeing are trained professionals who have selected an industry where they know they'll be looking and poking at your bits and have no problem with it, why should you?

That is a very good point!

I know I shouldnt be cringing in this day and age, its something that I will have to snap out of!! I think as a nation we are just not used to exposing ourselves !!

I have a repeat smear in the morning and although they are fine, quick and majorily painless (and I have no problem with them) I will try my best not to let myself cringe!!

As for the brazilian wax, I think I will need to hype myself up for that big time after the last bikini wax!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Is there anywhere decent in Galway to get it done? Please don't say Elizabeth C. I had a few bad experiences with them.

Advertisement