Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Woes!

Options
  • 11-03-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been run through before.

I'm using a 3 year old wireless enabled Toshiba Equium laptop. Up to 2 months ago all was good; I have eircom broadband at work with a Netgear WGR614 v4 wireless router, and NTL broadband at home with a Linksys wireless router. Laptop worked perfectly on both networks. I also have a HP desktop connected wirelessly at home.

Then I got a HP C6180 Wireless all-in-one printer at home. All still working fine. Then the home network kicked off my laptop. Had to get a techie friend to come and get it working again.

I then got another HP C6180 Wireless all-in-one printer for work. Worked grand for a few days. Then the wireless connection started dropping out of the blue. Got my techie friend in and he fiddled with it, got it working, charged me a ball of money and went home.

Next day, wireless crashed completely. He came back, tried an old router he had, but couldn't get it going. Said that the issue was the router.

I got a Belkin N1 wireless router today. It has the blue light that says "I'm connected to the internet" on. It connected by cable long enough for me to input some of the info eircom gave me (multiple calls to their support hasn't helped). It wouldn't, however, let me go online.

Now I can't connect to the router either wirelessly or by cable, even though the printer has picked it up wirelessly (it shows up on the wireless devices list, but won't connect). I can get internet access by plugging the laptop directly into the eircom netopia modem.

It's driving me daft!

Any suggestion as to what to do next (short of throwing the whole lot out of the window!) would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Resolved (I hope!)

Eircom say use the following settings: (helpdesk 1890260260, and also available on their website, provided you can connect!!)

Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsuation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    DNS Primary: 213.94.190.194
    DNS Secondary: 213.94.190.236

Had tried that, but wouldn't work. So I hit the reset button on the back of the router, and lo and behold, it started working. Instead of PPPoE, it's now on its default of Dynamic.

Hopefully it will stay working.

By the way, the operating system on the laptop is XP, whilst the desktop is Vista.

Hopefully this will be of some help to somebody else. If it crashes, I'll update this!!!

Advertisement