Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker Spaniel

Options
  • 11-03-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Im looking for a cocker spaniel and have no idea where to start looking, anyone any suggestions?? and how much roughly are we talking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Hi,

I have a cocker spaniel, we got her 7 years ago though but we didn't have to pay anything for her! She was the runt of the litter but the lady wasn't selling them, real nice lady.

I was looking online the other night, can't remember the website but saw cocker spaniels for €350!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Cocker Spaniel Pups For Sale - DoneDeal.ie
    www.buyandsell.ie
    www.gumtree.com
    your local pet shops usually advertise dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

There are many cocker spaniels for sale on donedeal.ie,lots of different colour ones also with pictures so you can see the pup,the prices on there are ranging from 300 and upwards,perhaps it might be worth looking at too see which colour etc you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

Will check those out, thanks.My wife had one when she was a kid but i know nothing about them, what are they like to keep/housetrain? How much exercise do they need a day? Is professional grooming necessary or can we do it ourselves? cheers

There are many cocker spaniels for sale on donedeal.ie,lots of different colour ones also with pictures so you can see the pup,the prices on there are ranging from 300 and upwards,perhaps it might be worth looking at too see which colour etc you want
    good afternoon pheo +++

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Will check those out, thanks.My wife had one when she was a kid but i know nothing about them, what are they like to keep/housetrain? How much exercise do they need a day? Is professional grooming necessary or can we do it ourselves? cheers

Okay, firstly, you need to do your research. You need to asses your lifestyle, find out how much time you have to dedictate to your dog, decide where he or she will sleep and how much excercise time you will have EVERY day to walk him (hail, rain or shine).

Then, if you've decided to get a dog - reasarch which dogs will fit your lifestyle - cockers are highly energetic, and will need plenty of excerise by the way.

Thirdly - wouldn't it be nice to get your new family friend from a shelter or rescue rather than going to donedeal where plenty of gougers hang out? (and there is a good chance you'll pay top money for a puppy-farm dog, or one with genetic issues) Going to a shelter will save you money, and most importantly save a dogs life - the dog you get will be vaccinated, wormed and microchipped.
    http://www.paws.ie/ and
    http://www.paws.ie/greyhounds.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

davey180 wrote: »
    good afternoon pheo +++

Evening davey180 :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

There are a few lovley ones on http://www.irishanimals.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

If you want a puppy best bet is to contact the Irish Kennel Club for a list of breeders, DO NOT buy a puppy from Buy & Sell, donedeal.ie or gumtree.ie they're mostly puppy farm puppies and backyard breeders, the pups from such breeders are not good quality and may be prone to health problems

Demonique wrote: »
    If you want a puppy best bet is to contact the Irish Kennel Club for a list of breeders, DO NOT buy a puppy from Buy & Sell, donedeal.ie or gumtree.ie they're mostly puppy farm puppies and backyard breeders, the pups from such breeders are not good quality and may be prone to health problems
    not nessasary as i have brought loads from those websites id say 70% are genuine breeders on them papers,vacines,see their parents etc so you cant say DO NOT buy a puppy from Buy & Sell, donedeal.ie or gumtree.it be easier to say be carefull what you buy.Get my meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Killiwee

There is 2 cocker spaniels on Irishanimals.com site for rescue. They are called Ebbie and Ellie and are 6-7 months old. I was talking to the woman from the rescue centre and they are still available. Oh they are in Limerick by the way-dont know where you are . She is going to seperate the pups so you'll be able to take one. Have a look theyre gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Ours gets walked everyday but she seems to always make herself busy and trots around the garden loads. She sometimes like to act like "Lady" from Lady & the Tramp (well she does look like her) and she lounges around but she's mostly looking busy!

We get her groomed twice a year because the fur on the ears and chest especially become very matted. her chest used to get very matted and would restrict her movement when she ran.

Advertisement