Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying clothes online

Options
  • 11-03-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey guys im looking to buy a north face jacket, online, prob from america cos of weakness of dollar, is there any good sites online that will ship to ireland?
    thanks
    ed

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Be careful ordering from the States, you could get stung for import tax in customs.

Did you check their site for stockists or whether they deliver to Ireland themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭fifly

Hi, Is it true that if you buy from the US and the parcel is marked as a gift you cant get stung for import tax in customs? If you have to pay duty what percentage of the product price is it? How do you receive the goods? I don't live in Dublin but am also thinking about buying online from the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Marking a parcel as a 'Gift' makes no difference, give the Customs guys
    some credit - otherwise we'd get all parcels shipped to Ireland and marked
    as gifts and nobody would ever pay customs charges.

Be careful ordering North Face gear online, there's a serious amount of
    fake and counterfeit stuff about. Your best bet is if you know someone
    going to the US to ask them to pick it up for you from a proper stockist.

To answer fifly's second question. What happens is you'll get a note from your local head PO saying that they have your goods and you have to come pay the customs charges and pick up your item.

I've known certain suppliers to mark a lower value on the shipping label.

OP:
    I think you should be OK shopping online provided you go through their official site, there are quite a few suppliers on there to buy through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Das Kitty wrote: »

I've known certain suppliers to mark a lower value on the shipping label.

Which is now why Customs often ask you to provide a copy of the invoice
    or Paypal receipt. ;)

• Advertisement

It's not something I've ever asked for to be honest.

Depends what it is and how realistic the marked down price is I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I was looking for a northface jacket and did the maths and just bought it direct from the Great Outdoors online. It more or less worked out the same price when you take everything into account. I had peace of mind as well that the jacket wasn't a fake.
    They delivered it to me free as well the next day and this was Christmas week. I was very impressed.

Advertisement