Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<removed> + WoW = Haxored

Options
  • 10-03-2008 9:58pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, I got an email from Blizzard on friday morning. Stating that my account was suspended for 72 hours and I was receiving a final warning for "online trading activities". Somewhat surprising to me as I hadnt logged in my account in some 6 weeks. What with having moved up to Dublin for a new job and having no internet connection.

Being the industrious chap I am, I logged into my account management page (using the new password that Blizzard had kindly reset for me) only to discover, in fact, the account had been logged on as recently as the night before. At a time that I would most certainly have been in bed, readying myself for work the next morning...

So, after some blabbering with Blizzards retarded support staff I finally managed to log into the account today. And low and behold, I am down a multitude of gems, ores, enchanting materials, a healing set, a dps set and 3 resists sets. Quite tragic really, but worse when I discovered that my pvp mage alt and my rogue twink were also butchered. But the most surprising thing was that the paladin still had a bunch of tank gear still equipped and was parked in Auchindoun with 2 essence focusers, an oathkeeper and a bunch of health/mana potions.

Now, when trying to figure out what the hell exactly happened... I remembered that about 2-3 weeks I went to the <removed>. A bit of a shady looking, chinese run cyber-cafe but hey, it was recommended to me by a few friends so I thought what the hell.

I logged in on my other account and immediately changed the password afterwards. Not feeling entirely safe about the whole process, however I didnt remember ever logging in my main account as it must have been for a few seconds and no more, so never changed the password.

I havent logged in on my own computer in close to 6 weeks as I said, so it cant have been anything on my pc. Aside from the fact that I use a regularly updated anti-virus. A hardware firewall, and noscript for firefox. I am 100% certain that the only place this could have happened is in this cyber-cafe, <removed>.

So, just to warn all you folk out there. Avoid this place and always remember to change your password when you have to use WoW (or any password related game/service) in a cyber-cafe.

P.s. <removed> can die in a fire :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Thats a real shame man,

Hope you get your stuff back.

I cant understand the decision of them to run loggers and do this ****, can only be bad for business ultimately. And add to the chinese gold farmers stereotype :cool:

C***s to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I really wouldn't name the place as you have no real proof. You might be certain, but I think a generic warning be careful when lgging in and out of password protected accounts in cafes.

Sorry to hear you got hacked though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Wow what ********. Gl with getting your stuff back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Its definitely <removed> and I have proof, didnt log in anywhere else in 6 weeks. It might not be the owners or operators that is quite possible and I'll say that myself. But if its not them that did it, then its them that allowed it to happen. Either way thats something to be wary of. But its possible you are right. So I'll report the post and see what Koneko has to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

You're not the first guy that this has happened to in <removed>. Another Chinese guy got his account hacked twice, lost about 4k gold. From <removed>. Turns out it was two guys going about and installing key loggers on as many computers as they could. Had nothing to do with the staff. Now I always restart a pc in there before I use it because it reboots from the server image.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

D wrote: »
    You're not the first guy that this has happened to in <removed>. Another Chinese guy got his account hacked twice, lost about 4k gold. From <removed>. Turns out it was two guys going about and installing key loggers on as many computers as they could. Had nothing to do with the staff. Now I always restart a pc in there before I use it because it reboots from the server image.

Yup was gonna say that, i cant imagine the staff having anything to do with it, but installing a keylogger on a pc that is meant to be locked down is incredibaly easy. Can blizz get you back your gear, and whatever else was taken ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

is it possible to get toons abck that were deleted?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

in certain cases yes, tooons can be rolled back and replaced and gear can be given back but can take quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

have never had a problem in there tbh, but like said above always restart the pc...

have you spoken to the guys in there about your loss?

might imburse you with something

or atleast make them aware its happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

My account was hacked too, about a year and half ago. You'll be able to get your stuff back, but as splinter said, it'll take a long time for blizz to get round to it.

EDIT: I'll just make it clear that it wasn't because of some lan-cafe. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

copeyhagen wrote: »
    is it possible to get toons abck that were deleted?!

If it was deleted in the last 6 months, yes. After that time I dont think you can

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i swapped accounts with a guildie that i knew for nearly a year a while ago, my 66 in few blues and few greens (and about 800 in bank) for his 70 mm hunter in blues and epics.

everything went well for a few weeks, then one day when i went to log in i couldnt, 2 of my rl friends told me my new hunter toon was online though, so i logged in with one of their accoutns and whispered my toon, tellin him where to go. no reply.

this kept happening so i contacted blizz and came clean, told them everything. just asked could i get my toon back.

they gave us both a 2 week ban and i got my warrior back leveled to 70, with flying mount, 4 60 mounts, all blues and a couple hundred gold in bank.

oh, and also had the old blue s1 axes!!

what had happened was he realised i hadnt changed the email when i transferred accounts cuz i hadnt got his private question, so he answered it and gave one of his friends or somethin the apssword.

haha he used to /w me all the time telling me i owed him 10000 gold.. yeh getting that back.

he since switched realms. loser

**should be ok to mention swapping accounts cuz i did come clean and got my slap on the wrist**

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Locked (temporarily?) to check with admins

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement