Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserves

Options
  • 10-03-2008 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Anyone know why the rdf are so slow recruiting?applied in october still aint heard back,rang once,they said they were still waiting on security clearance but surely that cant take this long?Im in Waterford.Also is it true that the rdf will soon be serving on overseas missions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Security does take that long.

Its nothing to do with the Army its to do with the Garda.

RDF overseas is ment to be on the cards for specialized units, but as yet it won't happen, there is no support in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Anyone know why the rdf are so slow recruiting?applied in october still aint heard back,rang once,they said they were still waiting on security clearance but surely that cant take this long?Im in Waterford.Also is it true that the rdf will soon be serving on overseas missions??

You applied in October and you haven't attended a single training night yet???:eek:Or am I misreading your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

why dont you go down on wednesday to do a bit of marching and learning the ranks etc while waiting your clearence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I applied in october too and was sworn in on thursday.

Phone up and ask if you can train with them while your being processed.

THat's what I did, worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Ya I've been waiting since October too,yet I go down every Wednesday...saves me having to learn how to march etc 3 months before going to Bere Island!

• Advertisement

i've being waiting since december and im in the barracks in question (waterford) were learning all the marching theres 5 other recruits there aswel that havnt been sworn in.

it would be no problem i would imagine just come down wednesday at 8 no harm i asking at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

i've being waiting since december and im in the barracks in question (waterford) were learning all the marching theres 5 other recruits there aswel that havnt been sworn in.

it would be no problem i would imagine just come down wednesday at 8 no harm i asking at least

yeah i might do that,cheers,just wish theyd get a move on!

its the way they work unfortunatly

its mostly down to gardi nt getting the clearence done faster once thats done u'll be on your way,

any more ques just pm me;)

few new people were down there the other night were you one of them? (OP that is)

if so fair play the new recruits picked up the marching fairly quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

few new people were down there the other night were you one of them? (OP that is)

if so fair play the new recruits picked up the marching fairly quick

No wasnt me pal,didnt get to go in the end,maybe the week after next :)

• Advertisement

ah right there wont be any problem anyway plenty of recruits down there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Lol i remember when i went down last year in September/october and gave in my application form. I was just made sit in the barracks for about an hour and a half before one of the NCOs said I could go home and to come up the week after. So i did and once again i was made wait around for an hour, this time with a couple of guys joning aswel. But once again no luck so the third week they told us that they were still waiting for security clearence and they'd tell us. So then after Christmas they told me to come up. Just thought i'd say that. But to comment on the topic, this is normal in the RDF. You wait for ages before you can do anything. I know a girl in my unit who was waiting a year for her uniform, where as i was only waiting 3 months. But that's just the RDF for you, very unpredictable and always surprising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ReignInBlack

Never mind,found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

Although security clearance does take time, you should be out on a parade ground of some type doing basic stuff while waiting for the paperwork to be done in the various puzzle palaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

"Security does take that long."

Whereas the medical is a joke, or at least once was. I once discovered on exercise (in the Glen, back in '97 or '98) that a female two-star actually had hearing aids hidden beneath her hair-do. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

what RDF units are there in Cork and what nights are they? the only thing i could find on the Net was the Navy Reserve.

reserve infantry
    reserve cavelry
    reserve arty
    reserve engineers
    reserve CIS
    reserve military police
    reserve logistics

all of them in collins barracks,tuesday and wednesday 8 o clock

wednesday damn :( i presume you have to attend both ?

no some units train on tuesday and the others train on wednesday i'll find out which are on tuesday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

reserve infantry - Wednesday
    reserve cavelry - Wednesday
    reserve arty - Tuesday
    reserve engineers - Tuesday
    reserve CIS - Wednesday
    reserve military police - Monday
    reserve logistics - transport - Wednesday
    Medics - Tuesday

Taken from http://www.1bderdf.com/ Probably accurate.

• Advertisement

Damn the ones i was most intrested in are on Wednesday night :(
    suppose i could give Artillery a go.

whats CIS again?

signals or as its actually known Communication and Information services

daithicarr wrote: »
    Damn the ones i was most intrested in are on Wednesday night :(
    suppose i could give Artillery a go.

whats CIS again?

Come on over then. Any tuesday night at 8 pm. If you are going to join though I advise you do it real soon as we might stop taking people in soon.

Why might you stop?
    I not from cork, and it was a long time since i was in the FCA.
    Is it the barracks on top of military hill? do you just walk up and say let me in i want to join?

also when i was in the FCA most my unit were quite young. is that still the case? i 27 now, if they all about 17 i think ill leave it

They might stop because recruits have to be vetted out first and then trained to module 1 level.

Go to the Barracks and say to the Guard on duty that you are looking to join the 31 RAR or just whatever Unit really and he should direct you of where to go. It is just to the left when you walk in the gate.

I wont lie here, most recruits are very young. We have one 26 year old joining but I havent seen him in a while.

its up to you really.

If you really want an older crowd I advise engineers as from what I have seen there are a few older lads in there.

Tis up to you bud, You may as well come up and check it out and then make your decision.

Advertisement