Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ilizarov Frames

Options
  • 10-03-2008 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello everyone,

I am new here and am setting up this thread for people and their families who are (or were) using an Ilizarov frame.

For those of you who do not know what an Ilizarov frame is you can click on this link to find out http://www.ilizarov.org.uk/

Ilizarov frames are used to treat people who have suffered from many differnet unfortunate incidents in their life, such as road traffic accidents, cancer and even gunshot wounds. They are also used to lenghten the limbs of people who are born with bone defects.

The Ilizarov frame is used to reconstruct bones in the body such the tibia and fibula in the leg and also used for limb lenghtening. It is used in cases where a normal plaster cast or prosthesis is not possible. The frame is placed on the leg using wires which pass through the bone and attach onto the other side of the frame. The bone is held in place until healed.

Other methods might occur when the bone or a section of the bone has to be completely removed (ie 6 inches of the tibia) and a bone tranportation is required. It is done in a variety of key steps

- The frame is applied to the part of the body effected (We will presume the tibia, the largest bone in the lower leg, your shin bone)
    -The section of the bone is removed
    -The bone is then broken just below the knee and more pins are inserted into the broken bone part.
    -Then you turn the screws on the frame one quarter of a millometer every 6 hours (Or whatever time scale is recommended by your doctor) which is one full millometer every day.
    -You keep this process up until the bone has tranported down the leg and successfuly docked with the bone lower down the leg.

2 Questions

How does this work ???

Why does it take so long ???

It works simply because when the bone has been removed and the remaining bone has been broken, the remaining part of bone has been so cleanly and finely broken that it will attempt to heal itself. When you are turning the screws on the frame the wires pull the piece of broken bone away from where it originally was and it slowly moves down the leg. Because it is moving so slowly (1 Mill/Per day) it is constantly trying to heal, but then we move it away further, this tricks the bone into thinking it will heal and therefore forms new bone as it transports down the leg.

This process is repeated until the part of bone you are transporting has docked with the other part of bone further down your leg. So by the time the 2 bones have docked you have essentially re-grown your own bone.

So lets say you need to transprt for 6 inches which is roughly 165 millometers, and you are transporting 1 mill a day, the process will take 165 days. However it's not yet over. Whatever the time to transport the bone is, is then doubled for the bone to heal and be strong enough to take the frame off.

So if its 165 days to transport the bone, it will take 330 days to heal, so in all it will take 495 days roughly for the process to take from start to finish.
    It is an extremely long, slow process but when faced with a possible amputation or lifelong dissability this method is the best way forward, especially in terms of the lifelong effects.

The benefits of an Ilizarov frame to a prosthesis are
    - prosthesis' or bone graphs can become loose or infected in years to come and can require surgery
    - Prosthises' can effect your ability in sports
    - Most prosthesis do require tightening every 10 years

Where as the Ilizarov is regrowing your own bone. It is your own bone which is strong and healthy and allows you to enjoy life pain free and also worry free which is probably more important.

If anyone has any questions or wants to chat about Ilizarov's they can post here or PM me your name and we can chat on MSN or by phone

Thank you for reading

Alan

Ilizarov Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

OP, please reassure me that the site you've linked to doesn't sell anything. It doesn't seem to, but I want your word :)

[standard disclaimer] please exercise caution when sending contact details to anyone off of the internet [/standard disclaimer]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 IlizarovIreland

tbh wrote: »
    OP, please reassure me that the site you've linked to doesn't sell anything. It doesn't seem to, but I want your word :)

[standard disclaimer] please exercise caution when sending contact details to anyone off of the internet [/standard disclaimer]

Yes dont worry it's just a site with stories of people who have had Ilizarov frames and the likes. Some have their photo's up there etc.

And lol I will be cautious when giving out my details

Thank you for your concern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

no problems, we get a lot of people selling stuff, and you tick all the other spammer boxes, hence my caution.[low post count - username same as website name - posting links in first post]

And I was advising others about giving out personal info (to you ;) ), but it applies to you too.

Please note that personal info posted will be deleted, this is a site-wide policy.

You're welcome to the board, hope you enjoy your stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Bleh, this thread provokes bad memories:( Still, my head wouldn't be screwed on right today with an Iliz;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Muffinman63

Ilizarov frames
    Hi, is there anybody in or around Dublin doing this procedure?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Muffinman63

See reply below

Advertisement