Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick hamster question.

Options
  • 10-03-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Is it safe/suitable to use cat litter for my syrian hamster's toilet instead of hamster litter. I saw a big Tesco value bag of it today and it would defiantly be much more cost effective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

The danger is that it might not be safe if the hamster eats it. Not really sure of what Tesco litter is made of so I can't say for sure if it is safe. It could work out cheaper and be perfectly safe or it could be a very costly experiment for your hamster. Check what it's made of, if you can't find out I wouldn't chance it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Chinchilla sand is great as long as its not too fine. And where I get it is only about €3 a bag that last a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yah I'd go with the chinchilla sand they love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Yah I'd go with the chinchilla sand they love it.

Cool and they will use that as a toilet no problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭yawn

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Chinchilla sand is great as long as its not too fine. And where I get it is only about €3 a bag that last a few months.

can you pm me the place where you pick it up? how big is the bag?

• Advertisement

yawn wrote: »
    can you pm me the place where you pick it up? how big is the bag?

+1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Be careful using anything which might have deodorant or antibacterial properties. Cat litter is usually made from recycled paper, wood or ash and some versions are not recommended with rodents.

How come the cost of a bag of shavings is a factor? I have four different cages, clean all of them every four days and I get two weeks from a €7 bag of petshop wood chips (Woody Pet - the least dusty of the lot) How often are you cleaning this cage? Are you giving shredded paper/tissue/cotton wool/straw as well?

I used Moss Peat for a while with hamsters and they loved it too - the russian dwarves burrowed in it all day.

'cptr

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In Longford is where I pick it up, I think the place is called Pets Direct. They are wholesale aswell as retail.

Be careful using anything which might have deodorant or antibacterial properties. Cat litter is usually made from recycled paper, wood or ash and some versions are not recommended with rodents.

How come the cost of a bag of shavings is a factor? I have four different cages, clean all of them every four days and I get two weeks from a €7 bag of petshop wood chips (Woody Pet - the least dusty of the lot) How often are you cleaning this cage? Are you giving shredded paper/tissue/cotton wool/straw as well?

I used Moss Peat for a while with hamsters and they loved it too - the russian dwarves burrowed in it all day.

'cptr

I wasn’t intending to use the litter as a bedding substitute for shavings etc, merely as substitute for the stuff that I put in his toilet section. His bedding consists of some hay (I might not get that again however, he doesn’t seem keen on it) and loads of tissue (the more the better), which he seems to prefer over anything else.

He is really well toilet trained so his toilet litter gets a lot of use and has to be changed very frequently. The clumps have to be taken out everyday and the whole thing changed every 3 days at least. The bags of toilet litter for hamsters that I have been getting are very small and aren’t cheap. There is no pet shop nearby so it is a hassle to go in and buy more litter so it would be great to get a bigger supply that would last longer. His cage is cleaned and bedding changed fully at least every week, sometimes twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Cool! I'm not familiar with 'hamster litter' so can't comment but it sounds like you just need to check the ingredients in the car litter - you could always buy and small bag and try it. The rat sites i've read advise the use of a (UK Tesco - don't know about here) cat litter called Bio-catolet.

I've found this info useful, but I don't have hamsters anymore (I used have hundreds). http://www.rattycorner.com/links/linkslitter.shtml

• Advertisement
Advertisement