Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless, UPnP and the media centre

Options
  • 10-03-2008 4:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I posted this in one of the sub-fora of Home Entertainment but it might be better asking this here:

I recently got a Freecom MusicPal Internet radio / wireless streamer, set it up relatively easy (to a Dell Vostro 1000 running WiXP SP2) and was impressed with how relatively easy it all worked (although was annoyed that I had to rely on WMP to stream music - I use iTunes and have my catalogue just the way I like it there!).

Anyway - setting that up got me thinking about my Nokia N80, which also claims UPnP capability which I'd never tested. I messed around for a while and finally got that working and can now browse my laptop's files through the phone, although I can't figure out how to actually view then on the phone without copying them over first.

Another cool little trick I've found is that I can basically use the phone as a remote for my MusicPal - selecting a track from the laptop and playing it on the radio... at first it didn't seem to work properly (track would start, then stop and change by itself) but a firmware upgrade on the radio seems to have worked most of the kinks out.

So my first question is - does anyone know how I can use UPnP to view files from my laptop on my phone and vice versa?

Secondly - what else can I do with UPnP? I have an old TV but figure it would be cool to get an adaptor (that connects via scart or RGB, maybe?) which I can then transmit files over from laptop to TV, via my phone just like I'm currently doing/trying to do with my internet radio. Or would I need a cutting edge TV with wifi/UPnP built into it to do this?

I set up my wireless router to allow UPnP connections and it's showing up in my network places as a "residential gateway" but I'm not really sure what use that is of itself... can I send stuff via this to other computers or something?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement