Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopt one dog or two?

Options
  • 10-03-2008 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just looking for some ideas we want to adopt a dog or two. We both work full time so wont be around during the day. The dog/s will have a kennel for during the day in a secure garden and will be in the house or out for walks when I get home.
    My question is would it be better to adopt one dog and then a second or get two together. I want two ideally to keep each other company during the day when we are in work.
    Any suggestions on breeds to get that would be suited to being alone during the day?
    HJS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I think you would be better off getting 2 dogs. Maybe you could enquire with rescues to see if they have some dogs that are already a pair that need homes? try http://petsireland.invisionzone.com and also http://www.irishanimals.com
    dogs like company and are pack animals anyway so they are better of when there is 2 or more of them, then they can be company for each other while your not there and also have fun playing together etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Two dogs is always best - better still if the two know each other or are from the same litter. Its great to see my three pass away the day together running about barking and generally having a great time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

2 dogs from the same litter don't always work too well. Mostly because if you have 2 dogs the same age it is very difficult to get them to bond really well with you because they are so well bonded with each other. I'm not saying it is always disastrous, but it is as well to be aware that it can cause more difficulties with training.

It's a lot easier to get one dog trained well and then add a second one. I have a brother and sister and I have had to work much harder to train them the way I want them than if I had got one on it's first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I don't think in the long run it will make much difference, because the dog wants you company at the end of the day. I have two not from choosing two I just happen to have two and although they get on really well they just want their mum at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

2 dogs from the same litter don't always work too well. Mostly because if you have 2 dogs the same age it is very difficult to get them to bond really well with you because they are so well bonded with each other. I'm not saying it is always disastrous, but it is as well to be aware that it can cause more difficulties with training.

It's a lot easier to get one dog trained well and then add a second one. I have a brother and sister and I have had to work much harder to train them the way I want them than if I had got one on it's first.

agree 100% - always better to let one settle and see how you go - if they present problems or house training issues it is so much easier to deal with one and then once you are happy and the dog is settled and you know theie personality you can match up better with a 2nd dog.
    That said you could always see if rescues have a pair already used to each other - they come in often and it's great to be able to home them together as mates !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Yeah I am hoping to be in a position to home two who are already used to each other.
    Thks for the replies

HJS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 M0use

Take a look at www.dogsindistress.org. If you have any queries, your best bet is to ring one of the contacts under "Contacts" on the left hand side of the page. Currently, we have two terriers who are brothers. We often get dogs surrender in pairs. Also, some dogs take to each other in the pound, and so they could be homed together.
    PM me if you want.

Dogs under "Urgent Action", "In Foster", "Dogs Needing Homes" and "Pups Needing Homes" are all available for adoption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hardly work'n

Any suggestions on breeds to get that would be suited to being alone during the day?
    HJS[/quote]

There is a really good thread on this subject in this forum just search this form it's call 'cost of owning a dog' it is good. A lot of pro's & con's on different breeds ect. It's worth the read plus loads of suggetions of different rescue homes & places to get dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 M0use

All dogs need exercise and stimulation, but dogs such as labs and boxer are especially bouncy and are most definitely not suited to long periods left alone (in general - before anyone jumps down my throat). Greyhounds and lurchers especially are happy to lie on the couch all day long and just have a good walk once or twice a day. However, they aren't really suited to staying outdoors, so you would have to be willing for them to stay indoors while you were at work.

Maybe you could call up to Ashtown Pound and see what dogs catch your eye. It would give you a starting point. The staff are there are more than happy to help and would know the temprements of the different dogs as they interact with them all day. Every dog is different (although I've yet to meet a non-bouncy boxer!!) and so they can help match the dogs to your situation.

Advertisement