Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Hamster

Options
  • 10-03-2008 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Bought a hamster a while ago to keep me company in college. I have my mid-term next week so I obviously can't leave him here alone. I'm wondering what is the best way to move him for the journey? His cage is tall rather than wide so I can fit it securely behind a car seat but I don't know if it's better to leave him in that or put him in a small box with some bedding. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I can suggest that if you decide to take your hamster in the car, take out anything that can move around and hurt your hamster. Give the hamster a cucumber or similar wet food before the journey. Take out the water bottle, since they tend to drip too much. Make sure the cage is secure. Keep the windows closed so it doesn't get too drafty. Don't leave your hamster in the car for very long or in the sun, this could cause your little pet to over heat or even death.
    As t for travel;

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can get small animal carriers in some pet shops or to be honest a small plastic box with a lid and air holes if it's not a long journey and he's kept out of the sunlight with some soft bedding.
    Avoid cardboard boxes or he'll be walking around the car lol.

A small bird cage would do as well.

I have something like this http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/toys_transport/crates_carriers/51158

As said take out any water bottles (they leak like mad in the car) just pop a little veg in with him that will give him the liquid and food.

It's better to have him in a small carrier because the larger it is the more he'll be thrown around as small as possible but big enough for him to move around in and stretch.

Advertisement