Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless setup failure - help, please

Options
  • 10-03-2008 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

My first wireless network failed... was trying to network laptop and desktop but...

when I inserted the usb key the wireless network wizard created into my laptop I got an error message saying network might not work due to software my laptop was using to manage wireless connections... network doesnt work, cant connect to router on my laptop... stuck on acq. ip address

No usb slot on my router so I had to configure it manually, I could not find all the specified fields(from settings file on usb), like encryption type, on router page, It was kind of guess work.

Please HELP, what am I missing?:(

/edit... entered the 64digit hex number into connection profile on laptop, now it connects...can someone explain this, is normal to have a profile automatically connect after entering the key just once, what is the password i created for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Since my above rambling, Ive manged to get the network goin, was messier than I thought, so wondering could someone tell me what exactly I did was right? Please:D

To set up wireless network... run the wireless wizard then the network setup wizard? To add other comps, enter the network key to give wireless access, then run the network setup wizard on that and add to workgroup?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I usually find it easier to set each connection up manually than using the wizard. So just note the SSID, WEP/WPA key and whether the ip address is assigned or static. Then just configure the settings in the Wireless Connection properties under Network Connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Excellent, good to know thats possible. Thank you

Advertisement