Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jealous dog

Options
  • 10-03-2008 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Ok, we have had this dog for nearly two years now. Hes a wire haired austrailian terrier. We've had him from a pup. Trouble is lately hes being getting jealous of us being together. Its got to the stage where we cant even watch a film together anymore. Its like he feels he's being left out so he sits in the midddle..no matter what the situation. He hates seeing us getting any bit close and will do anything to seperate us. Anyone having the same prob?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

blimey what does dog do when ye together.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

This behavious is indeed a little of a nuisance...
    I am no expert, but it sounds like he considers himself the top of the pack. A dog is so likeable that we tend to consider them as a family member and sometimes, the dog takes the lead (and we are guilty of this too at home ;-)).
    Make sure you feed him after you have had food, that you go through a door before he does... Just like children, dogs are also happy to have limits set out for them. Maybe you should also stop her from being allowed to sit with you on the couch.
    I am sure they are some more experienced people on board who will help you.
    Regards,
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

ValerieR wrote: »
    I am no expert, but it sounds like he considers himself the top of the pack.

Okay Valerie, im gonna go out on a bit of a limb here and blame the owners:eek:

Its seems to me you might have little feller mollycoddled and yes it seems that he considers himself top of the pack. Now is the time to lay down the law and kock him down a peg or two. Obviously hitting him or anything is completly out of the question. I suggest a regime of stern loud words constantly until he realises he has to stay quite when he bold. If your trying to watch tv and he's inerupting, correct him loudly and sternly. this approach should take up to 6 months so ne patient. Also he has to learn, if he cant behave in the room he will have to be put out. just that simple. Best of luck and im sure your a great dog owner, maybe he's just a little spoilt (thats no crime either:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fi500

Whenever he jumps up on the sofa with you, jump up and without saying a word pick him up and shut him out the room. Let him back in after a few minutes but do not say anything to him. Repeat this process whenever he jumps up on the sofa and eventually he should get the idea. Also, you should reward him with his favourite treat/game when he is lying nicely on the floor. He will soon get the idea of what is expected of him.

Advertisement