Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savannah cat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

In order to get a F1 you would have to find someone here in Ireland with a Serval. I doubt there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

You can get Bengal cats in Ireland but they are pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

You'd probably have to import one from the US, oh and I heard that F1 servals don't breed true with each other, something about one of the sexes being infertile

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

think its female 1st generations...or is it male... :confused:
    i love these lil guys, ive wanted one since i stumbled across them on the net last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

hi i breed bengals in galway, anyway you wont get a savannah for all the tea in china unless your a breeder of at least bengals,
    and they start at 10thousand pounds upwards, thats about 13500 euro.
    wish ya luck though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I just saw a television program on these cats last night and they are beautiful. I'm a big fan of bengals, so it would make sense that I would like Savannahs. My understanding, however, is that they are very expensive. The program mentioned that they cost around $20,000 (USD) each. Also, in certain US states, it's illegal to own one because of their wild animal breeding, so you may want to check that they are legally allowed in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

they start at 10thousand pounds upwards, thats about 13500 euro.

Seriously? For a cat? :eek:

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    Seriously? For a cat? :eek:

yeah seriously, for a F1 yes,
    F1,s are the first born from the integration of a wild cat and a domestic,
    bengals are the same, i breed bengals and there fully domesticated and i sell them for 1200 euro upwards because they have excellent bloodlines.
    all said and done, savannahs and bengals are not average cats, there from wild bloodlines, they arent for thefaint hearted they really are like having a baby tiger/lion in your front room great laugh though,

( she says looking at a 8 month old kitten destroyin the christmas tree lol:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I adore cats, - can we see pics please?

Just out of interest, are the breeding of these cats akin to dog/wolf hybrids?

• Advertisement

I adore cats, - can we see pics please?

Just out of interest, are the breeding of these cats akin to dog/wolf hybrids?

dog /wolf hybrids, yes kind of with bengals they love water and are just plain mental

this is a album on picasa of the bengals , as i cant seem too upload pics on here!!
    (keeps telling me invalid file, and only takes maxonline, maxonlinedate file paths... weird lol) let me know if the link doesnt work though,
    kittens are my march 2008 litter, i kept one she is 8 months now and still one mad cow!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/simplisticlycomplicated/Bengals08Litter0#

oh... just too clarify, i moved too ireland in august from london,
    i havent bred bengals here as YET, and im not mad enough too think that
    here in ireland i could charge 1200 euro here ( wouldnt happen !!! lol)

They are absolutely stunning. :eek:

They are absolutely stunning. :eek:

thank you very much!!!
    it is with great trepidation i hope too breed here in ireland,
    though im not sure if there would be a place for it,
    i couldnt charge what i did in the uk (irish arent so mad with there money as the english!! lol) probably about 500 euro or there abouts and would really need too make sure i could sell what i breed, as i wouldnt want too create kittens without homes, but i will look into that next year...

so bengals are like savannahs in there wild ways but savannahs are unique in there own right, with there big ears there lovely

Wanted one of these fellas since i found em on wiki ages ago.

Nerin wrote: »

bengal or savannah,, i do however know a lady in scotland who has..
    a full wild f1 SERVAL... im not sure if she has started a savannah breeding programe with him yet..
    but its worth asking, lovely lovely people as well, have a look at her serval " macchuie " hes worth a look just for his lovely big ears,
    imagine taking a serval for a walk LOL :D

http://www.gayzette-bengals.co.uk/html/macchuie_gallery.html

bengal or savannah,, i do however know a lady in scotland who has..
    a full wild f1 SERVAL... im not sure if she has started a savannah breeding programe with him yet..
    but its worth asking, lovely lovely people as well, have a look at her serval " macchuie " hes worth a look just for his lovely big ears,
    imagine taking a serval for a walk LOL :D

http://www.gayzette-bengals.co.uk/html/macchuie_gallery.html

Savannah. For the lulz of watching it scoop water out of a bowl. And roaring and chirping. ^_^

bengals do it as well,, i know i keep going on about them, but i have never bred savannahs, there all a right laugh anyway ,, wild hybrid cats (exception toyger) are completly nuts
    whenever i have a bath (usually a shower lol) i have the 3 of them swiping the bubbles and trying too get in,then they fall in nutters
    the shower they sit in all bloody day
    and the sitting in the windows gobbing off and chirping at anything

i say if you have your heart set on a baby savannah of your very own
    GO FOR IT.. even if you have too go to the uk..
    i had too bring my lot over from the uk on the boat in august,, (the gobs on them then!! ipod at the ready!!)
    wasnt so bad, they love it here. go for it, hearts desire feelings dont come everyday... and hey if theres no irish savannah breeders,, theres a market right there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

ukgalwaymcguire

How do you advise people on the care and upkeep of F1 wild hybrid cats or domesticated cats coming from hybrid backgrounds?

Do you recommend they be indoor-only cats? I have heard they have tendancies to be extremely expert at killing wildlife (though the same could be said of any domestic cat in fairness,) but also that they can be extremely territorial so they may kill other domestic cats that range into their territory?

Right there's Nerins Christmas pressie sorted. :P

Right there's Nerins Christmas pressie sorted. :P

^_^

I think my current cat beast wouldn't be too pleased. Hes a normal breed that thinks hes one of these guys :p

• Advertisement

ukgalwaymcguire

How do you advise people on the care and upkeep of F1 wild hybrid cats or domesticated cats coming from hybrid backgrounds?

Do you recommend they be indoor-only cats? I have heard they have tendancies to be extremely expert at killing wildlife (though the same could be said of any domestic cat in fairness,) but also that they can be extremely territorial so they may kill other domestic cats that range into their territory?

yes your 100 % right, bengals and savannahs when first introduced were
    illegal too be let outside these rules have since changed though
    in regard too the sbt line, (f4,s and downwards towards the domesticated bloodlines) this was because it was like the killing fields in regards too birds and mice etc, (handy for the farmer!!)
    in america they reckon a single bengal can kill 300 birds or mice a day,
    this was then reported by jean mill, who introduced bengals (she bred them from the asian leopard cat too get rid of feline aids ) too be utter rubbish, yes they can kill a lot both bengals and savannahs are extremly agile and fast...... but not 300 a day..
    since then its only f1s that have too be registered and thats only with a local council anyway.
    i personally dont let my 2 leopard spotted out because they are full queens at the moment, my snow bengal however is 5 so she is retired and has had her op, so she does go out, but she never goes out for more than 10 mins at a time she howls too come back in,
    when i lived in england,she would kill frogs every day (little cow) looked mental a frog hanging out of her mouth, (poor froggy) but since being in ireland for some reason she has chilled out a lot.
    the other reason for not letting them out, is they will get stolen, happened so many times, and they are completly DUMB when it comes too cars, they will get scared at first of the noise, then once they get used too it, there wild im not scared of anything brain comes in.
    plus they really are happy indoors, wrecking your house and life in general, and eating like food is going out of fashion in the summer i let my leopards out in the garden and they lay there panting thinking there lions (silly cows)..

my own opinion of the killing sprees of hybrids is there more agile hence they catch more, but there no more inclined than any other cat really.

^_^

I think my current cat beast wouldn't be too pleased. Hes a normal breed that thinks hes one of these guys :p

mm nerin , introduced bengals too my siamese who is a grumpy old sod sometimes, and they really are all fine, i think you should make your dream come true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Thanks for that. :)

I don't let my DSH cats out because they just have a limited sense of self preservation - well, I do have one who'll stay within 50 feet of the house but I don't let him out much anyway (once a month even?) because the more they go out, the more they want to go out.

Our tabby could probably hunt his way through vast numbers in a day, but we don't let him out. The reason was reinforced the other day - my housemate, who was born in a barn, left the front door and screen doors open and out the tabby went. He made a direct bee line for the main road and the nature reserve across from it. Took me 15 minutes to catch him.

(Lucky I did. He has an ulcer on his eye from an overzealous wrestling match with another of our indoor cats, and was due for surgery the next morning. He's had the surgery and is currently an E-collar wearer, which is a whole other post...)

I have a couple of adopted tabby kittens at the moment, and I'm suspicious about their blood lines. Bengals are quite popular in Melbourne, and interestingly there's a strong muslim community at a town about 25k south of us - they take excellent care of their animals, best food, best toys, all vaccinated, wormed, they'll spend a fortune on their pets if they're injured, but a large number of them will not neuter their pets, on religious grounds. My tabbies are rescues from the vet in that town.

My tabby boy in particular makes me suspicious - he and his sister are light coloured, dark stripes and spots on a gold/white base. They both have eyes the colour of mud - like an amber brown. He has strong, distinctive stripes on his cheeks, and a lot of spots in his coat along with stripes. His sister has a face like a cheetah! They're both water mad (bought them a drinking fountain, they love to play in it) and they're serious climbers (up the curtains and onto the curtain rail in 10 seconds flat). By 10 weeks of age, both he and his sister would walk around with a 'prize' (toy mouse, piece of cloth, half a toilet roll insert) in their mouths, growling furiously at anyone who came near. The girl chirps occasionally in with her tiny kitten squeaks.

They were born 1 September, their mother is definitely a DSH, but I'm wondering if Bengal is in their lineage somewhere. I doubt it's a 50/50 mix, but it could be 25%! We'll see if their coats become clearer as they age - at the moment, the girl in particular still has a lot of kitten fuzz in her coat.

Thanks for that. :)

I don't let my DSH cats out because they just have a limited sense of self preservation - well, I do have one who'll stay within 50 feet of the house but I don't let him out much anyway (once a month even?) because the more they go out, the more they want to go out.

Our tabby could probably hunt his way through vast numbers in a day, but we don't let him out. The reason was reinforced the other day - my housemate, who was born in a barn, left the front door and screen doors open and out the tabby went. He made a direct bee line for the main road and the nature reserve across from it. Took me 15 minutes to catch him.

(Lucky I did. He has an ulcer on his eye from an overzealous wrestling match with another of our indoor cats, and was due for surgery the next morning. He's had the surgery and is currently an E-collar wearer, which is a whole other post...)

I have a couple of adopted tabby kittens at the moment, and I'm suspicious about their blood lines. Bengals are quite popular in Melbourne, and interestingly there's a strong muslim community at a town about 25k south of us - they take excellent care of their animals, best food, best toys, all vaccinated, wormed, they'll spend a fortune on their pets if they're injured, but a large number of them will not neuter their pets, on religious grounds. My tabbies are rescues from the vet in that town.

My tabby boy in particular makes me suspicious - he and his sister are light coloured, dark stripes and spots on a gold/white base. They both have eyes the colour of mud - like an amber brown. He has strong, distinctive stripes on his cheeks, and a lot of spots in his coat along with stripes. His sister has a face like a cheetah! They're both water mad (bought them a drinking fountain, they love to play in it) and they're serious climbers (up the curtains and onto the curtain rail in 10 seconds flat). By 10 weeks of age, both he and his sister would walk around with a 'prize' (toy mouse, piece of cloth, half a toilet roll insert) in their mouths, growling furiously at anyone who came near. The girl chirps occasionally in with her tiny kitten squeaks.

They were born 1 September, their mother is definitely a DSH, but I'm wondering if Bengal is in their lineage somewhere. I doubt it's a 50/50 mix, but it could be 25%! We'll see if their coats become clearer as they age - at the moment, the girl in particular still has a lot of kitten fuzz in her coat.

mmmm interesting, from your description i would say there 100% bengal, lol i wouldnt say there any less than 50/50 they sound too bengal type and bengal type behaviour too be any less too be honest
    and also when you get past 50/50 they become a lot less type than that,
    and the spots... they usually disapear completly, can you post a pic up of them??? i would love too see them!!
    ( i keep having this nightmare lol,, that im going too end up the old lady with 100s of cats and alone once the kids have gone, ... find boyfriend fast lol))) no i totally love all cats, some folks who have pedigree get all snobish over cats but me i just love all cats big and small
    but i would say your 2 are 50/50s defo...

im gonna check out your e collar post now and i hope mr tabby is well and recovering bless him..

Advertisement