Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government's Transport 21 plans facing major shake-up

Options
  • 09-03-2008 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭

The Government's Transport 21 strategy is in for a major shake-up.

Amid fears of crippling congestion in the capital for the next five years, plans to join the two Luas lines are being postponed.

A number of projects were expected to be under construction together, including the Metro from the City Centre to the Airport and new and extended Luas lines.

Dublin City Council is now looking to produce massive changes to existing traffic plans.

The Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey has hinted at possible restrictions on the number of cars allowed into the city centre during construction.

I'm not certain what the 'major shake up' is. Are they saying they're going to accelerate the projects or put some off as they'll cause traffic disruption?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I rather suspect it`s the initial "soft" announcement of the decision (Taken long ago) NOT to proceed with the Luas link up.

As Minister Dempsey alluded to on the Bus Atha Cliath issue the situation has altered and rapidly at that.
    The T21 provisions which have not been copper fastened are dead in the water.

We will now see a regular stream of weekend announcements concerning delays,suspensions or cancellations of NDP(Yes)/T21 projects throughout the land as the Emperor is finally seen to be without any clothing.

If one takes a peep at another article on the Sunday Indo`s front page today one can see an example of the "altered situation" as the first large scale numbers of foreign "gastarbeiter" begin to turn up at the voluntary shelters dotted throughout Dublin and the other large towns.

The capacity for this situation to escalate and run out of control is enormous and frankly has been well flagged by those who could be conveniently dismissed as Right Wing Bigots by the well heeled articulate governing class.

Noel Dempsey has at least been honest in his appraisal of the Bus situation and recognises that part of the solution lies in Maximizing the effeciency and deployment of EXISTING resources before spending vast wodges of (non-existant) cash on mighty temples to the grand designers.

Reality is coming fast to a line near YOU :eek: :eek: :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the decion not to proceed with the link up in the immediate future is correct, the affect on the citys traffic would be unbelievable. the two lines will already be linked with the metro.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't mind the Luas line link up being delayed/suspended as long as the Metro and Dart Underground go ahead ASAP.

The Luas link up pretty much follows the route of the Metro anyway, so it makes sense that it shoul be a lot lower priority then Metro. Only when they are ready to extend the Luas out to the Finglas direction, will the link up be worth carrying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

One presumes then that the "Lucan Luas" may also be for the chop, or at most will make its way from Lucan to the red line at the Black Horse in Inchicore. No big loss at this time IMO. I've never believed the Lucan Luas was a good idea ahead of other areas. Lucan will afterall have close enough proximity to the Maynooth and Hazelhatch DART lines to take advantage of them. A QBC all along the N4 to Heuston could easily whisk passengers there where they could change for DART to the south inner city or stay on board for the north inner city.

We could get so much more out of our bus fleet if the ground infrastructure and political will was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yee Ha at least someone saw sense. [ or no money was in the kitty, ]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Bill McH

It shouldn't be forgotten, of course, that the reason the government are particularly keen not to proceed with the link-up, is that it might revive old routes for the interconnector or raise the potential for new ones.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how ripping up St. Stephen's Green is going to sit with the environmental lobby, especially as it's probably going to take 25-50 years to restore it to its current glory after the interconnector is built.

Building it through College Green or thereabouts has always been the obvious option. The area is to be pedestrianised in the future, so disruption during construction should not have long lasting effects.

And there's one important thing to remember. If the link-up were to be built, it's certain that a stop near College Green would be busier than a stop at St. Stephen's Green. In other words, more people want to go there.

So bring them there.

The problem is that it would now be a major embarrassment for the government to admit that it got it so monumentally wrong - chasing after a LUAS line which was cut short by some fool of a minister, rather than looking at the best public transport options for the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

One must bear in mind that the SB Post is generally a joke when it comes to the majority of their public transport reporting and should be taken with massive pinch of salt. They have an almost comical pro-CIE bias at times, and many of their public transport stories often read as if the print copy was sent over to Amiens Street for the final editorial swing before they go to the printers.

All them "Aren't We Just Fecking Amazing!" supplements CIE have taken out in the Post over the years has worked wonders.

They also ran the most pathetic story in the history of world journalism relating to public transport on the eve of the opening Luas Green Line which might of been considered classic "bloke down the pub told me" stuff, except it was even less credible and million times more moronic.

SB Post is a rag that thinks it's a broadsheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Bill McH

What's needed on this thread is an assessment of the situation from Transport21 Fan. Unfortunately, he seems to be keeping rather a low profile recently.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

bk wrote: »
    I don't mind the Luas line link up being delayed/suspended as long as the Metro and Dart Underground go ahead ASAP.

The Luas link up pretty much follows the route of the Metro anyway, so it makes sense that it shoul be a lot lower priority then Metro. Only when they are ready to extend the Luas out to the Finglas direction, will the link up be worth carrying out.

Totally Agree!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

murphaph wrote: »
    One presumes then that the "Lucan Luas" may also be for the chop, or at most will make its way from Lucan to the red line at the Black Horse in Inchicore. No big loss at this time IMO. I've never believed the Lucan Luas was a good idea ahead of other areas. Lucan will afterall have close enough proximity to the Maynooth and Hazelhatch DART lines to take advantage of them. A QBC all along the N4 to Heuston could easily whisk passengers there where they could change for DART to the south inner city or stay on board for the north inner city.

We could get so much more out of our bus fleet if the ground infrastructure and political will was there.

A QBC along the N4 you say? THere's been a QBC along the N4 for donkeys years with the exception of the short section from island bridge to heuston which is a more recent feature.
    The public transport defecit in lucan is in 'south lucan', previously known as 'lucan, dublin 22' during the short period of time between when the houses were built on fields in clondalkin and when Liam Lawlor managed to get the postal boundaries changed. Public transport in south lucan ammounts to the horrendus 25a which can take a hell of a long time to get anywhere near the QBC on the N4. Maybe a luas isn't necessary, but a radically revised bus service definitely is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

alias no.9 wrote: »
    A QBC along the N4 you say? THere's been a QBC along the N4 for donkeys years with the exception of the short section from island bridge to heuston which is a more recent feature.
    The public transport defecit in lucan is in 'south lucan', previously known as 'lucan, dublin 22' during the short period of time between when the houses were built on fields in clondalkin and when Liam Lawlor managed to get the postal boundaries changed. Public transport in south lucan ammounts to the horrendus 25a which can take a hell of a long time to get anywhere near the QBC on the N4. Maybe a luas isn't necessary, but a radically revised bus service definitely is.
    The existing QBC on the N4 was never integrated into bus routes for Lucan and doesn't count. A new, improved QBC is currently under construction as part of the Lucan N4 Upgrade. This will provide a rapid frequent bus service by 2009.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The LUAS link up is important, metro or no metro, as it will improve efficiencies in tram dispatch and servicing which can be consolidated at one depot. We have just got to do this and stop listening to big businesses like BT's who will be inconvenienced by the disruption during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Red Alert wrote: »
    The LUAS link up is important, metro or no metro, as it will improve efficiencies in tram dispatch and servicing which can be consolidated at one depot. We have just got to do this and stop listening to big businesses like BT's who will be inconvenienced by the disruption during construction.

I'm not sure that you have followed the plans correctly.

I am not aware of any plan to physically join the two routes. The green line is to be extended to O'Connell Street, crossing the red line and terminating at Sean McDermott Street, returning via Marlborough Street and a new bridge over the Liffey.

The real issue is nothing to do with the businesses. It is the impact on the bus network, most of which will be seriously disrupted in the city centre.

At the end of the day, if you can buy a through ticket from, say Dundrum, to O'Connell Street Metro stop, then I do not see any point whatsoever in causing massive disruption in the city centre when the Metro will travel exactly the same route. It makes no sense at all.

In Barcelona, one of the tram lines terminates at a Metro stop rather than continuing into the city centre. Passengers transfer from one to the other without any problem, so why can the same not apply here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

spacetweek wrote: »
    The existing QBC on the N4 was never integrated into bus routes for Lucan and doesn't count. A new, improved QBC is currently under construction as part of the Lucan N4 Upgrade. This will provide a rapid frequent bus service by 2009.

The existing QBC is a constant buslane, except for a few junctions (Kylemore Road and Esker outbound, etc). The new, improved QBC will be a constant buslane.

How does that magically change the bus routing, etc? The routing changes could have been done on the existing QBC.

MYOB wrote: »
    The existing QBC is a constant buslane, except for a few junctions (Kylemore Road and Esker outbound, etc). The new, improved QBC will be a constant buslane.

How does that magically change the bus routing, etc? The routing changes could have been done on the existing QBC.

I think that Spacetweek means is that the various pinchpoints where the buses get snarled up in traffic will be removed.

However, this will not help the problem that no additional (or larger) buses can be added onto any routes along the Lucan QBC by Dublin Bus due to the current EU investigation into subsidies instigated at the behest of the private bus operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's based on lead story in Sunday Business Post last week
    http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS-qqqs=news-qqqid=31133-qqqx=1.asp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

KC61 wrote: »
    I think that Spacetweek means is that the various pinchpoints where the buses get snarled up in traffic will be removed.

Along the section thats being tripled, there is:

1: Ballydowd Interchange
    2: Esker turnoff

That I can think of as actual 'pinchpoints' where the buses have to join/leave the main traffic flow when using the QBC. I don't see how the former is being changed at all, the latter should be sorted though.

Kylemore Road is one of the worst ones but is inside the M50 ring so not being touched at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

KC61 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that you have followed the plans correctly.

I am not aware of any plan to physically join the two routes. The green line is to be extended to O'Connell Street, crossing the red line and terminating at Sean McDermott Street, returning via Marlborough Street and a new bridge over the Liffey.

The real issue is nothing to do with the businesses. It is the impact on the bus network, most of which will be seriously disrupted in the city centre.

At the end of the day, if you can buy a through ticket from, say Dundrum, to O'Connell Street Metro stop, then I do not see any point whatsoever in causing massive disruption in the city centre when the Metro will travel exactly the same route. It makes no sense at all.

In Barcelona, one of the tram lines terminates at a Metro stop rather than continuing into the city centre. Passengers transfer from one to the other without any problem, so why can the same not apply here?

Actually, both of the tram lines terminate at different ends of the Diagonal Avenue, yet do not connect in the most central part. IT IS HIGHLY INCONVENIENT because to get from one line to the other requires a very circuitous change of I think 2 metro lines, so there are a lot of problems similar to Dublin.

Also similar arguments that running the tram down the central part of Diagonal would cause massive disruption, etc.

Tired arguments. We need to link the tram lines together. In Dub and BCN

Metrobest wrote: »
    Actually, both of the tram lines terminate at different ends of the Diagonal Avenue, yet do not connect in the most central part. IT IS HIGHLY INCONVENIENT because to get from one line to the other requires a very circuitous change of I think 2 metro lines, so there are a lot of problems similar to Dublin.

Also similar arguments that running the tram down the central part of Diagonal would cause massive disruption, etc.

Tired arguments. We need to link the tram lines together. In Dub and BCN

Why?

I really do not believe that there are that many people that need to travel from green to red lines? There would be far more disrupted by its construction on the vast number of buses through Dublin city centre. With a direct metro connection at St. Stephen's Green and O'Connell Street, would that make life THAT difficult? Is it really worth causing massive disruption to far more people to build something that by and large is duplicated by the metro?

Re BCN, I have to say that I had no problems switching around from tram to metro and the heavy rail - an excellent system in my experience. And do that many people wish to use both tram lines? I don't readily agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Someone going from the Sandyford Luas to Heuston or beyond to Tallaght would get the DART at St. Stephen's Green, not the Luas. The link up would be to serve people going to differnet parts of the City Centre and I don't think demand for that is high enoug to justify both a Luas and a Metro between the two stops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Originally Posted by breakingnews.ie
    The Government's Transport 21 strategy is in for a major shake-up.

Amid fears of crippling congestion in the capital for the next five years, plans to join the two Luas lines are being postponed.

A number of projects were expected to be under construction together, including the Metro from the City Centre to the Airport and new and extended Luas lines.

Dublin City Council is now looking to produce massive changes to existing traffic plans.

The Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey has hinted at possible restrictions on the number of cars allowed into the city centre during construction.
    Getting a lot of hysteria on here guys. The article is simply referring to the fact that the Luas BX was originally supposed to start this year (2008) but is now postponed until the start of Metro North (2009). That's it. The rest is bumped-up, speculative nonsense.

Cancelling BX isn't an option, as that would make D impossible (imagine the farce if we built D without BX, and had three Luas lines in the city centre which didn't connect).

We need BX, and we need Metro.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Along the section thats being tripled, there is:

1: Ballydowd Interchange
    2: Esker turnoff

That I can think of as actual 'pinchpoints' where the buses have to join/leave the main traffic flow when using the QBC. I don't see how the former is being changed at all, the latter should be sorted though.
    I'll expand on my earlier comment about the existing N4 QBC. There are a few pinchpoints, but the main drawback was poor access to bus stops - there were no shelters, no paths leading to them, and they weren't located near convenient access points. The new QBC will locate the full size bus stops on the offramps where they can be accessed from the major north-south axes: Leixlip Interchange, Newcastle Road, Woodies, Fonthill Road. By having the bus take the exit each time and then immediately rejoin, it never needs to deal with weaving traffic on the mainline.

Cancelling BX isn't an option, as that would make D impossible (imagine the farce if we built D without BX, and had three Luas lines in the city centre which didn't connect).

Have you been following the DB/RPA/DCC handbagging at all ?

BX will happen if DB get shafted by RPA , DOT are standing at the sidelines going " Will no-one think of the children ? "

a lot of this has gone underground [ pardon the pun ] in recent times to avoid dirty linen washing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

Getting a lot of hysteria on here guys. The article is simply referring to the fact that the Luas BX was originally supposed to start this year (2008) but is now postponed until the start of Metro North (2009). That's it. The rest is bumped-up, speculative nonsense.

We need BX, and we need Metro.

It would make a lot of teenage economists happy here if we had either the absurdity of Line D adrift somewhere south of Broadstone or worse not existing at all.

Cast your mind back to all the idiocy surrounding the cancellation of the original Luas project in 1998, where all those opposed to the on street section between the Green and Abbey Street were absolutely adamant that the underground link between the two bits was part of "phase 1".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I wonder what would be the relative cost of upgrading the green line to metro (metro is just a longer Luas anyway) and then linking them by extending the tunnel to ranelagh? This was the plan in DTOs "Platform for Change" proposal (I think).

It would be very expensive but would more or less eliminate the need for Luas BX and D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

loyatemu wrote: »
    I wonder what would be the relative cost of upgrading the green line to metro (metro is just a longer Luas anyway) and then linking them by extending the tunnel to ranelagh? This was the plan in DTOs "Platform for Change" proposal (I think).

It would be very expensive but would more or less eliminate the need for Luas BX and D

The Luas extension to Cherrywood is not suitable for metro. Line B being upgraded is never going to happen.

It is another example of badly implemented and insufficient planning of our public transport. To upgrade it now, the Line B extension would have to be restarted and possibly re-planned.

Awesome.

So. The original Green Line was built to Metro Spec, but the bits at either end aren't.

Hurray for our expensive tramline !

loyatemu wrote: »

No, it would not eliminate that. Luas BX is essential for getting around the city centre in accessible, short hops and D is for opening up the north west of the city. The Metro will not greatly aid people in getting around the city centre (nor is that its purpose) and is designed to serve different parts of the city from Luas D.
    paulm17781 wrote: »
    The Luas extension to Cherrywood is not suitable for metro. Line B being upgraded is never going to happen.

It is another example of badly implemented and insufficient planning of our public transport. To upgrade it now, the Line B extension would have to be restarted and possibly re-planned.
    Absolute rubbish. An upgraded B1 (Sandyford-Cherrywood) would not be completely grade-separated, but it doesn't need to be. For example, in Porto, Portugal, they have an at-grade Metro. This standard is reasonable in a low density city where train frequencies won't ever need to be super high.

In any case, nearly all the level crossings on B1 will be the entrances to housing estates at Ballyogan. These aren't through routes and will have little traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Absolute rubbish. An upgraded B1 (Sandyford-Cherrywood) would not be completely grade-separated, but it doesn't need to be. For example, in Porto, Portugal, they have an at-grade Metro. This standard is reasonable in a low density city where train frequencies won't ever need to be super high.

It's the curves my friend. It won't fit the trains. That and the crossings.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It's the curves my friend. It won't fit the trains. That and the crossings.
    Not being smart but can you explain please? What is stopping Metro trains taking those curves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Bards

New T21 website launched this morning, but still showing the New Suir Bridge in Waterford under construction on the N52 Tullamore bypass page - Muppets

Advertisement