Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest/Cheapest Renewble Energy Option

Options
  • 08-03-2008 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Hello,

With the new Part L building Regulations demanding at least part of a houses energy supply to come from renewable technology, what is the easiest/cheapest way of fufilling this requirement for someone who is building to rent?

Are solar panels the easiest option or would an investment in, say, a geothermal system pay off quickly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

For a very small house, i'd say flat plate solar, for bigger houses a heap pump, as its measured per square meter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

most likely wood stove as secondary heat source .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

^
    Intriguing.
    Would that definatly be acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

maybe . depends on DEAP calcs - BER assessor can assist

Good thinking...But no, that alone wouldn't work,
    What size is the house?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Just talking in gereal really.
    What would be best for say, 200 sq/m.

Well a wood pellet boiler/biomass boiler would do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Hello,

With the new Part L building Regulations demanding at least part of a houses energy supply to come from renewable technology, what is the easiest/cheapest way of fufilling this requirement for someone who is building to rent?

Are solar panels the easiest option or would an investment in, say, a geothermal system pay off quickly?

Put a wood burning stove in the fire place and seal chimney - hits the 10 kwhr/m2 every time

ardara1 wrote: »
    Put a wood burning stove in the fire place and seal chimney - hits the 10 kwhr/m2 every time

Are you getting this from deap software? What percentage of heat is being given out by your secondary heat source??

Are you getting this from deap software? What percentage of heat is being given out by your secondary heat source??

It IS the secondary heating - try it.
    Change your chimney from a chimney to a flue - add stove as the secondary source burning logs - hits the LZC target in every house type so far (As long as it has the ability to take a stove!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Change your chimney from a chimney to a flue

Sorry, showing the fact that I'm a girl here:o, but what does that mean exactly? Like what does it involve?

My bf wants chimneys, I want an airtight house & I'm looking for a bit of a compromise while keeping a nice fireplace

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Sorry, showing the fact that I'm a girl here:o, but what does that mean exactly? Like what does it involve?

My bf wants chimneys, I want an airtight house & I'm looking for a bit of a compromise while keeping a nice fireplace

by closing the chimney with the stove you basically reduce the size - to a flue - just a different volume of air loss up a tube. - so amend the deap calc accordingly

Change your chimney from a chimney to a flue - add stove as the secondary source burning logs - hits the LZC target in every house type so far (As long as it has the ability to take a stove!)

-if you go to the deap analysis, it says- "fraction of heat from secondary heat source"

What fraction are you putting in that?

Sounds to me your putting 100% according to the part in bold.....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if the secondary heating provides 100% heating then its not secondary...;)

generally a figure of 10% is inputted, as got from table 7.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    if the secondary heating provides 100% heating then its not secondary...;)

generally a figure of 10% is inputted, as got from table 7.

Yes but you can hardly get a LZC house from using 10% secondary and 90% gas...........
    Thats why im asking what % secondary he's inputting

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes but you can hardly get a LZC house from using 10% secondary and 90% gas...........
    Thats why im asking what % secondary he's inputting

why not? im sure its possible.

Just checked it out on an average house (178m2), got 7kWh/m2, kinda surprised tbh.
    So to get this up I'd have to use a more inefficient wood stove or up get the energy demands higher to meet it, yay or nah?

[/B]

-if you go to the deap analysis, it says- "fraction of heat from secondary heat source"

What fraction are you putting in that?

Sounds to me your putting 100% according to the part in bold.....

It's defaulted at 10% - keep it there.
    Have alook at all th eDEAPs you've run in the past - have a look in results for energy reuirment secondary heating - if this is bigger then the flaoor area x 10 - and it can be met by a stove - then you're there.

I will step down. ;) Good to know its a possibility alright.

Advertisement