Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuvi 250 - Poor Maps

Options
  • 08-03-2008 6:55pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Got the sister a Garmin Nuvi 250. She travels a lot up to Dublin and the Garmin is trying to tell her to go roads that are not the main roads. When going over the Bridge in Waterford for example, you would usually go on the N9 but its asking her to go via Wexford. If she ignores the Garmins direction, it insists she turns around. Iv restored all the settings to default and from what I can tell the maps are the latest. Iv driven around the town center here, and gone routes it doesn't advise and it updates itself and guides me the road I am going.

Her friend who lives in Longford tried it out and she said it was asking her to go through the most unusual routes and insisted she went that way.

I have a TomTom myself, and if I change course it updates and knows a lot of the routes.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭brophs

Sully wrote: »
    Hey,

Got the sister a Garmin Nuvi 250. She travels a lot up to Dublin and the Garmin is trying to tell her to go roads that are not the main roads. When going over the Bridge in Waterford for example, you would usually go on the N9 but its asking her to go via Wexford. If she ignores the Garmins direction, it insists she turns around. Iv restored all the settings to default and from what I can tell the maps are the latest. Iv driven around the town center here, and gone routes it doesn't advise and it updates itself and guides me the road I am going.

Her friend who lives in Longford tried it out and she said it was asking her to go through the most unusual routes and insisted she went that way.

I have a TomTom myself, and if I change course it updates and knows a lot of the routes.

Any suggestions?

There's an option in settings called Avoidances or something similar, that may be set to avoid main roads or something like that. Have a look there

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Thats strange Sully, When I route my nuvi 350 to go from Waterford to Dublin, it sends me out the N9, even if I ignore it and head out the N25 for New Ross, its only when I get past the Rhu Glenn, that it routes out the coast road. Up to that point its tring to get me to turn back.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

It might also be set to choose the shortest distance (which could take you up weird back roads) instead of the quickest route.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nope.. set to Main Roads and Fastest Route.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Thats strange Sully, When I route my nuvi 350 to go from Waterford to Dublin, it sends me out the N9, even if I ignore it and head out the N25 for New Ross, its only when I get past the Rhu Glenn, that it routes out the coast road. Up to that point its tring to get me to turn back.

Iv to go to Ferrybank later, so ill give it a test again to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Set it to "No U-Turns" also, that way if you deviate from what it thinks is ideal, it'll recalculate.

Sully wrote: »
    Iv to go to Ferrybank later, so ill give it a test again to see what happens.

I tested it and its not asking me to go via wexford. Unless one of the settings I rested fixed it, including Biros below, its bringing me to Dublin via the N9!
    Biro wrote: »
    Set it to "No U-Turns" also, that way if you deviate from what it thinks is ideal, it'll recalculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

My brother had the same problem. It was even telling him to turn around and go back up the on ramps on the M50.

It was set to pedestrian rather than car.

Advertisement