Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk City Airport

Options
  • 08-03-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Anyone see thing on the front page of the Dundalk Democrat?

Can remember years ago hearing about an airport in Dundalk but it never took off.

What do you think about it?

I dont really see the point of having an airport in Dundalk, Yeah I would like the idea of having one but with Belfast and Dublin airports just 40 odd mins away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

eamoss wrote: »

Can remember years ago hearing about an airport in Dundalk but it never took off.

I dont really see the point of having an airport in Dundalk, Yeah I would like the idea of having one but with Belfast and Dublin airports just 40 odd mins away.

Can never see it happening to be honest, as you say other airports available a relatively short drive away.Would need huge investment to get it off the ground and would take years of planning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Ha ha! Very good, very funny!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Being between the two main airports in Ireland, probably negates the need for one in Dundalk.

Besides, it would be done arseways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

zAbbo wrote: »
    Besides, it would be done arseways.
    That's the positive attitude that has made us great!

I get the impression the plans are for a small airfield with facilities for small executive jets.; so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

The democrat should have saved it for their April 1st edition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Didn't read the story - however - this idea may make sense... Not for the people of dundalk but for belfast and dublin.

Think about Ryanair who fly all over europe and often use airports which are up to 50 miles away from big cities. This may work as costs in Dublin airport are high and low cost carriers are always seeking to cut costs....

i hope it is not too near the town....

Dun-dalk Dun-dalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

DK man wrote: »
    Didn't read the story - however - this idea may make sense... Not for the people of dundalk but for belfast and dublin.

Think about Ryanair who fly all over europe and often use airports which are up to 50 miles away from big cities. This may work as costs in Dublin airport are high and low cost carriers are always seeking to cut costs....

i hope it is not too near the town....

If a new airport was placed between Dundalk and Drogheda it would be great for low cost carrier flights within the EU, as Dublin is reaching its capacity . Dublin really needs to open some long haul routs towards the eastern hemisphere, I am sick of having to fly via LHR or LGW to get to the Far East. Having to negotiate security at Dublin airport, then go through the same thing at a UK airport is very stressful and a pain in the backside if you then have to follow that with a 12 hr flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rushbrooke

I was wondering did the Irish Airforce ever operate from airports other then Casement airport ?.
    c4cat wrote: »
    If a new airport was placed between Dundalk and Drogheda it would be great for low cost carrier flights within the EU, as Dublin is reaching its capacity . Dublin really needs to open some long haul routs towards the eastern hemisphere, I am sick of having to fly via LHR or LGW to get to the Far East. Having to negotiate security at Dublin airport, then go through the same thing at a UK airport is very stressful and a pain in the backside if you then have to follow that with a 12 hr flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Padna

Yes ... the Air Corps used to use Gormanston, Co Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rushbrooke

Padna.
    Thanks for that...would you have any idea what type of aircraft could have operated from it during the 60's ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

c4cat wrote: »

Dublin is reaching capacity??? How do you know this?

I don't think there is the demand in Ireland to fly in the far east personally and if there was I think the airlines in Ireland(some of the most profitable in the world) would have done something about it if these routes were worth doing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Can you imagine the little scumbags throwing rocks at the airplanes like they do at the train station? :|

Can you imagine the little scumbags throwing rocks at the airplanes like they do at the train station? :|

Not really. If "little scumbags don´t manage to do it in any other airport in the world due to high security I don´t see how they could somehow manage it in Dundalk.

Silly idea though

eamoss wrote: »

Dundalk is only a town.Isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Not really. If "little scumbags don´t manage to do it in any other airport in the world due to high security I don´t see how they could somehow manage it in Dundalk.

Silly idea though

You're right of course. My comment was meant to be a little tongue in cheek.

You're right of course. My comment was meant to be a little tongue in cheek.

Ok sorry.

Good comedy though.

Advertisement