Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

injured feral cat

Options
  • 08-03-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

my neigbour found a cat in his front drive this morning it's one of the strays that hang around (neutered) it had obviously been clipped by a car and dragged itself to the side of the road.

could not find any emergency help got answering machines but did not get to speak to a person.
    was shocked perhaps i shouldn't have been to find that there is no fund for animals found the finder has to pay.

i was told there were options put he cat down or operate on it's leg the price i was quoted was starting at 350e and the vet was honest enough if not harsh to say that as a stray we would be better putting it out it's misery.

sad, if this was my own cat i would have no hesitation to make it better i realise that may seem bad, but i just don't have 350e and the rest to fix it's leg or offer it a home to recover

neighbour is on his way to the university with the cat.
    still calling around to see if any of the cat groups have any idea what i should be doing.

what would you guys do in this situation.
    seb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Paid for it to be fixed - I have 2 feral boys here that I neutered & poor old Charlie had been caught in a snare & I borrowed a cat trap & got him to the vet - would have paid any amount of cash to fix him - if they vet thought he would have a good quality of life.

but money is not easy to come by & 350 is a huge chunk of cash so I can well understand the hesitation.

Have you contacted kitten adoption?? Jan is brilliant & may be able to help. Post this on petireland too as someone may be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

The update was kitten adoption did help out with this cat. I felt very bad as the bill was well over 400 e all in and i did put them on the spot, in return I have taken the cat in to recover, not ideal as my own cats are going mental.
    i understand that because they neuter a cat it does not mean they are liable for looking after it, i got educated, they do have cat colonies that they do tend to and do cover all vets bills, i got confused.
    if anyone has a spare euro or two kitten adoption does fantastic work, even for meddling old men like me. I did help out with a small donation.
    The cat will also need a home if anyone can take him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

You are good to take the cat in - and Kitten Adoption do great work so I will have to give them something next pay cheque.

The vets around here won't even treat a stray animal. A stray dog was knocked down last year, and I heard the person who found it called 3 vets to come out to it - just put it down as it was in a terrible state. They wouldn't do it as they said they would only treat an animal on the request of its owner. By the time they got in touch with the dog warden the dog had died - a slow painful and howling death. Dreadful!

I"m glad to hear not all vets are like that. Even if the charges were really high, at least they didn't turn you away.

Can you put up a pic of the cat here and in a few other animal boards? If you ask for donations for Kitten Adoption people might be more willing to contribute if they can see the little guy that was helped. (Maybe it would help in finding him a permanent home also).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

would someone please take me through step by step how to put up a picture baring in mind i'm an idiot.:p ithink his picture is also going up on kitten adoptions own web site, it might be quicker looking there :rolleyes:
    Seb

• Advertisement

sebastianv wrote: »
    would someone please take me through step by step how to put up a picture baring in mind i'm an idiot.:p ithink his picture is also going up on kitten adoptions own web site, it might be quicker looking there :rolleyes:
    Seb

Sent a PM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fair play OP!

I've just made a donation. They accept cards and PayPal...click through the Help Cats |Donate and Help links...

Advertisement