Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make-up for the Pale-skinned

Options
  • 08-03-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

My debs is in August (I'm very organised I know) and I was looking for a foundation that would suit my pale skin.

I am NOT wearing fake tan. I have the type of pale skin that could get away with not wearing it. (the red-head type skin. Very milky, not red at all) so I don't want my face looking orange. Just a nice subtle shade!!:D

Any recommendations?

Sal

Comments

I find gosh has a really good pale colour...

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

It really depends on your individual complexion, we can't see that so maybe take yourself along to a few beauty counters and have them advise you/give samples. Prescriptives in Clery's in Dublin (don't know if they have one in Timbucktoo ;) ) ;)have this foundation thing where they mix shades to make one that is completely unique and suited to your specific skin. Haven't tried it but I've heard good things and it's on my beauty to do list! Aside from that, I'm very pale too and I find Bobbi Brown/Armani/Chanel good for base. However I only replied to this thread really to say: Fair fecks to ya for not fake tanning. Smelly horrid stuff. Don't wear any myself anymore, I'm happy to wear my own skin colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Fair play to you for not wearing tan..I am pale too and got a light one done for a wedding last september relectantly, even did it two days before the wedding, and still looked too tanned!! I use MAC NW15 products and find them great, well in photos my skin looks good..I read Benefit are doing a pale-specific tinted moisturizer, you might get it in BTs...I also read in a mag that Nicola Roberts from Girls Aloud is bringing out a makeup line for pale girls, and she's real pale...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 clairefrilly

I have black hair and very very pale skin.I use mac nw15.It is very good and doesn't look gothy and chalky. I too HATE fake tan.It never looks like a tan , no matter who its on.It looks orange and dirty .

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Glad I'm not the only one. My aunt is always trying to get me to try out fake tan!!! I'm proud of my Irish skin!!! Thanks for all the advice... Easter hols are coming up soon so no doubt I'll be going shopping, taking a break from the studying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I used to use an Estee Lauder foundation that was the palest I've ever seen in the bottle (cheap high-street brands do not do pale foundation ever), but even that always seemed a little dark for me. Then I got my makeup done at the Estee Lauder counter in Arnotts a couple of years ago and the assistant picked out a different one that I would never have looked at as it seemed too dark for me- the bottle was much darker than the one I used. However it blended perfectly and exactly matched! For the first time ever I didn't look like I had make-up on. It takes a professional to choose one that matches your base tones- I would always have erred on the side of caution and gone for the palest looking shade even though as it turns out it was too yellow for me and the darker pinky one matched.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I can't afford all this posh make up quoted in here and just use loreal true match which is great. Apart from the look of fake tan, who could honestly be bloody arsed? the effort of the upkeep is what puts me off.

Gosh is cheap.

I love being pale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm very pale, I use Mac NW 20, it's really good.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I use L'Oreal True match liquid foundation - tis lovely for the pale-skinned!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

nerdysal wrote: »
    My debs is in August (I'm very organised I know) and I was looking for a foundation that would suit my pale skin.

I am NOT wearing fake tan. I have the type of pale skin that could get away with not wearing it. (the red-head type skin. Very milky, not red at all) so I don't want my face looking orange. Just a nice subtle shade!!:D

Any recommendations?

Sal
    I know you dont want to wear fake tan but the sunless tanning moisturisers are great for pale skin. They give you a light sun kissed look and dont look orange.

However, Lancome 001 is the best for pale skin in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

nerdysal wrote: »

Any recommendations?

Sal

Yeah it depends on your Skin. i used to use Max Factor foundation, i cant remember the name, but any of the Max factor ones, they do a shade Called "Creamy Ivory" its a nice colour and very subtle, you'd probalby have to only do a little bit of Blending on the neck then. depending on how it suits you. go into Boots or something with no make up on and try a dot of it on your jawline.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You shouldn't try to use a foundation that's any colour other than that of your skin. Try a bit on your jaw-line and the one you should pick will be the one you can't see!

If you want to brighten up your face a bit then use a little bronzer.

I actually don't use bronzer at all, I'm a red-head myself, I use A Benefit highlighter on my cheekbones.

Personally I think if you give it proper drama with your eyes there's no need for any colour on your face.

Another option would be to book yourself in at your nearest MAC / Clinique counter for the afternoon before the debs and get them to do it for you?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

I think I'm going to have to go with the make-up counter option.

I agree with you Das Kitty, about drama on the eyes... I love Mascara and eye liner!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

aveda does great tinted moisturiser really nice one i use is no 2 shade beachwood i think its called. i got another one by maxfactor its called colour adapt or something i thinks its just brilliant good luck with finding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I use MAC studio fix (the compact, not liquid) in colour NW15 and I'm seriously pale but it looks good! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Mac Mac Mac! But not Studio Fix as that is a really thick and only really used for photo shoots and make up that's going to be under studio lights...or in the real world, for bad complexions that need extra coverage. Use Mac Select, its really good and lightweight. Call into them and pick the girl with the best applied make up and ask her for advice :)

If you want any kind of colour you can do what I did (im also pale skinned) and get some bronzer to lightly dust over your face and neck afterwards to give you a small glow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭fifly

I've started using Jane Iredale mineral makeup (Amazing Base). I'm also very pale. I bought it in Bisque which i prefect colour if I only needed light coverage. However, as you can build it up for more coverage which I need the colour darken so next time I will buy the lightest shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I wear fake tan year-round but naturally I'm white as a ghost due to red hair. Most pale foundations are too dark. Funnily, I found in America that there were more light colours of foundation, I would have thought people were darker there.

Nicola from Girls Aloud is launching a range for pale people in conjunction with Jelly Pong Pong (pretty cool brand!).

See here http://www.jellypongpong.com/news_newsworthy.asp
    Dainty Doll is a range celebrating extremely pale skins. While there has been a slew of products solving the problems of darker skin tones, Nicola faced exactly the same problem, only her skin tone was at the other end of the colour spectrum. All foundations were simply too dark for her.

Nicola approached Jelly Pong Pong with the idea of a White Foundation, and colours that would suit her skin tone & unique hair colour. We have managed to create a beautiful range, called Dainty Doll, that combines colour pay-off as well as skincare benefits (products are made with Grape Seed Oil to further nourish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

I've recently been converted to Smashbox foundation. I'm using the " High Definition healthy fx" one in Fair and I find it amazing. It comes in paler shades than the one I use and I'm pretty fair!
    It looks really flawless and natural. I apply a fine layer of it for everyday use, and the great thing about it is you can apply it in more layers for heavier coverage for a special event, yet it doesn't look cakey... it's magical!

Go to different counters and try different brands and types of foundation. Don't buy on the spot, but take note of the different shades and types of foundation they apply and decide what one you really like.

Also, think about blusher and highlighter. You need some colour in your cheeks or your face will look flat, especially in photo's. I'm not talking about noticeable blusher, just something to give definition to you cheekbones and brighten up your face. You will actually look more natural with the right blusher than without it.

I personally love Benefit's dandelion powder and their highbeam highlighter. The blush is perfect for adding subtle colour to pale skin in my opinion. The highbeam is a great tool for paler girls. I put a small amount on the top of my cheekbones, in the centre of my forehead, along the centre of my nose and on my collarbones. Basically wherever the light hits your face. Just remember to think less is more!!!

Good luck with the shopping and enjoy it!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement