Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audit entire building's hardware automatically/remotely?

Options
  • 07-03-2008 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

The Boss and myself have been toying with the idea of setting up some kind of system for this one client whereby any errors on any of the hundreds of machines can be logged automatically by a script or such.

Sick of doing callouts for people who pulled the mouse cable out by accident ;)

Like I siad, we've just been toying with the idea so haven't looked in depth into it yet, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of any application or some such that does this type of thing?

Maybe some sort of audit VBscript that runs whenever someone logs into a particular machine that then posts to a database that can then be viewed remotely on the server through a browser?

Wouldn't have to be every time or even every day. Once a week would probably be ok.

Any ideas welcome!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

running windows or Unix?
    if unix there are loads of utilities(free)to do this. For some reason my mind has gone blank and I can't remember the name of the process. Google is your friend

for windows you can do this but you may have to pay for some third party component/software to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

At the high end you're looking at something like Tivoli (IBM) there are other cheaper (free?) alternatives also, normally based around SNMP.

Something like OpenNMS for example, which would leave you needing to create SNMP traps for specific things on the windows boxes. Have a read here for some basic information on using SNMP agent built into Windows XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

It's all windows based. About 90% of the machines in the building were built by us.
    30 or so Dells otherwise in one room. The server is also ours (windows).

The Boss found this http://www.dameware.com/products/dntu/
    Haven't had the time to spend on it yet, but seems good.

I think his main idea was to put this on one machine controled solely by us, then remote to the rest of the building through it and check logs etc etc.

Something along those lines anyway. Up the walls right now, but thanks for the ideas guys. I'll check out those links over lunch

Advertisement