Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing timber

Options
  • 07-03-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Newbie to woodworking. Have stocked out the workshop with some machines and have done some rough work (garden trellising, pergolas, etc) and some not-so-fine interior work.

Now want to move on to serious stuff. But where to get the timber???? I live in Longford and local merchants don't do the more exotic timbers.

Appreciate any pointers. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FatimaKid

Yeah, I know......I deserve a 'flaming' for being stupid enough to post without reading the stickies.

Sorrrrryyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I just picked up some hardwoods from Mckenna's in blanchardstown last week. they will no longer break a bail apprantly but they did have some mahogany,ash,cherry and a few others in various lenghts. I fortunatly got some for free because a friend was buying a load of framing timber so don't what they charge. I also bought some yew from strahan timbers in rathcool a couple of weeks past,I got 3 lenghts of 8' x8'' for 40 odd quid,and he threw in a lenght of mapel.I'm not sure if that was a bargain or not,but it was nice to actually see and buy hard woods for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) I can highly recommend Crowley's in Ennis. Good stock of American timber, neat storage and he does'nt mind you rooting through timber bales to get what you want. Prices are reasonable too.

Advertisement