Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential first time cat owner

Options
  • 07-03-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Heya im thinking of getting a cat as my first ever pet at the grand old age of 18
    and was wondering what would be the best type of bread to start off with and where i would go to get one?Do animal shelters do cats and are they hard to train?

I was considering getting a dog but im a student and wouldnt have the time to devote to a dog ,cats seem like a better option since im still living at home with my parents and they could keep it company during the day when im at work.

Any info would be great =)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

Have a look at http://www.kittenadoption.org/

It's a very comprehensive site re cats/care/behaviour. Everything you need to know about cats and kittens.

There is also a section to ask questions. And they have some lovely cats needing homes.
    Good luck with your research.
    Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

Most vets will have or know of kittens or cats to be homed, and the benefit here is that you'll know they've been checked over, and maybe even had their shots or been neutered. There are also many shelters that are always looking for homes for cats and kittens. There's a sticky on this forum giving details of various shelters.

As for breeds, well, unless you really want a specific breed for some reason, for a first cat definitely I would just say get a moggie. 99.9% of cats are going to be moggies anyway, unless you contact a breeder and pay money. It's not like dogs where even mixed breeds will have characteristics both physical and mental of the breeds they're from - unless they're a real Heinz 57 :)

But yer generic cat is just a cat. Domestic shorthair, tabby, what have you.

It is suggested if getting a kitten to get two, as they'll keep each other company, but not everyone is in a position to do that. If there's someone at home all the time that's good enough anyway. For a first cat though I'd generally recommend getting one a bit older, purely cos they'll require less intensive attention at the beginning, other than getting used to new surroundings. That's just my opinion though, and not a standard recommendation. Others will disagree with me.

As for training, well, you don't really train cats, they train you :) Their mother will (should) have taught them already how to use a litter tray (or the flower beds, if they've been an outdoor cat ;)) so housetraining is rarely, if ever, an issue. Unlike dogs cats are fastidiously clean, and generally won't soil the house unless something is wrong (like they've accidentally been shut in a room all day with no option). As for any other sort of training, like not to claw the furniture, or get up on the kitchen table, that's just time, patience, and "Ah ah!" noises. Or water pistols :)

I'm sure there'll be much better and more comprehensive help and advice than mine though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Hairspray wrote: »
    Heya im thinking of getting a cat....
    and was wondering what would be the best type of bread to start off with

I find Cat between two slices of Wholemeal to be the tastiest option myself.

Sorry couldn't resist:D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

In addition to the above I would add - if you are getting kittens, one that has been suckled by a mothercat rather than hand-reared is less likely to have bad habits - ie it should have learned how to groom itself and have good toilet habits etc.

Don't get a kitten less than 12 weeks of age.

Consider costs - you will definitely need to get your kitten vaccinated and neutered when its old enough (between 4 & 6 months). Also if its going to be outdoors, regular worm treatments are necessary. (not expensive).

I adopted 2 rescue kittens who turned out to be really quite sick - between vaccinations, neutoring, antibiotics and other treatments I must have spent about e300 on them the first couple of months. I then took out pet insurance and of course they haven't been sick once since! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

MsFifers wrote: »

Consider costs - you will definitely need to get your kitten vaccinated and neutered when its old enough (between 4 & 6 months). Also if its going to be outdoors, regular worm treatments are necessary. (not expensive).

I adopted 2 rescue kittens who turned out to be really quite sick - between vaccinations, neutoring, antibiotics and other treatments I must have spent about e300 on them the first couple of months. I then took out pet insurance and of course they haven't been sick once since! :rolleyes:

Just want to point out that vaccinating, neutering, worming & defleaing are standard costs - they're not "illnesses" as such and need to be factored in. To put it in context - standard vax would cost €60 per kitten & neutering between €60 & 95 in my local vets. They're not covered under pet insurance either.

(Not that I doubt that your kittens weren't ill (or costly :) ) MsFifers, but just in case the OP or someone else reading this gets confused and thinks that getting a kitten won't have expenses in the beginning :) ) Typical about the pet insurance too... They probably saw you paying for it and decided there and then to never get ill again :D

Also - if you do get a cat start him/her off on a decent dry food. The wet food doesn't keep as well, isn't as nutritionally balanced, isn't as good for their teeth and leads to stinky poos in the litter tray. Wet food is a great treat thing but having your cat eating a diet of mostly dry food is much better in the long run for you and them. Try to avoid the supermarket brands if you can - they have a lot of preservatives. Royal Canin do some excellent foods (including Indoor Fatso which all of mine are on :D ), as do Hills, Burns and Nutro to name but a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

also try the cats looking for homes section of http://petsireland.invisionzone.com there are usually lots of cats looking for homes.

You'd also be better of getting a pair of cats so they will be company for each other.

You'll need to buy a litter tray, a bed or two (cats sometimes share the same bed though) a scratching post or treehouse play thingy, food/water bowls etc and some toys, maybe a grooming brush as well if you get a long-haired cat.

I agree with feeding the dry food or you could buy some fresh meat for them.

You will need to get them neutered, vaxed & wormed which shouldn't cost too much.

also don't give cats cows milk, it actually upsets their tummy. you can buy special cat milk though which is fine. (whiskas do it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

If you are student living in ireland then you get a voucher towards the cost of neutering :).

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

If you are student living in ireland then you get a voucher towards the cost of neutering :).

Where? Hadn't heard this one. Haven't heard of any assistance towards neutering/spaying cats except from some of the cat charities for domestic strays.

Advertisement