Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Falkener RIP

Options
  • 06-03-2008 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Heard the news last night that the legendary Jimmy Faulkner lost his battle against cancer.

He was one of the finest folk and blues guitarists I have ever heard and also an accomplished jazz and rock musician too.

He will be missed...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Indeed he will be missed. It was a pleasure to have known him and always a joy to hear him play. And before or after the gig he always had loads of tales to tell of times gone by. It's hard to believe we can never wonder into a pub again to hear him play.
    No doubt he's up there somewhere showing Hendrix how it's done!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I just learned about his passing a few minutes ago. Can't believe it.

R.I.P. Mr. Faulkner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Rithim

One of the first Albums I bought was Live in Dublin.A very sad loss but what can we do but keep the music going.At my weekend gig in leixlip gaa(St Marys) I will mention his name when we do the Boys Of Barr Na Sraide/ The Crack Was Ninety In The Isle Of Man/ Black Is The Colour Of My True Love's Hair...songs off the album.Rithim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Rithim wrote: »
    One of the first Albums I bought was Live in Dublin.A very sad loss but what can we do but keep the music going.At my weekend gig in leixlip gaa(St Marys) I will mention his name when we do the Boys Of Barr Na Sraide/ The Crack Was Ninety In The Isle Of Man/ Black Is The Colour Of My True Love's Hair...songs off the album.Rithim

The slide he played on "The Ballad of Pretty Boy Floyd" was amazing on that album... I would love to hear the full version as they faded it out just as he seemed to hitting that special sublime place only he could go. :)

We lost jim but we have his music still, so he will never really be gone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

boneless wrote: »
    The slide he played on "The Ballad of Pretty Boy Floyd" was amazing on that album... I would love to hear the full version as they faded it out just as he seemed to hitting that special sublime place only he could go. :)

We lost jim but we have his music still, so he will never really be gone.

Agreed, I love the sound on that track. You can hear Christy shout 'keep going' on the last chorus when Jimmy's in full flight...

• Advertisement
Advertisement