Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mustang

Options
  • 05-03-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi.

My other half has decided he wants to buy a ford mustang next year, I don't know anything about them, but had a look online yesterday and they seem to be nice looking cars.

Does anyone here know anything about them, the pro's and cons of them?

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Being big american sports cars, they're not really designed for turning. I've seen at least two in Ireland - it must be some adventure getting them around the roundabouts here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Nice Muscle cars..
    Great in a straight line on a long wide road...
    Tight twisty roads wouldnt be much fun, particularly the older models, aparrently they handle dreadfuly....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Drove a car rental one in the States last year for a few weeks. Handling was a bit finicky, but had good fun driving it over there.
    Damn fine looking car tho'.
    Absolutely no room in the back seats for any passengers.
    I see a few on carzone, ring up and see can ye get a test drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Unless you want to take out a second mortgage for road tax you could consider the classic 3 speed model, still will cost you an arm and a leg on petrol.

mustang_prize.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

This is purely a personal opinion from driving them as rentals on holidays in the states (orlando) over the last few years.

Pros:
    They're a great looking car and I really like driving them (have a convertible this year for the first time normally get the hard top). Reasonable amount of room inside (could take 4 big suitcases and 2 hand luggage at a bit of a squeeze). Pretty quick off the lights when you floor it and satsifying noise from the engine. Very easy to drive in the US with the smooth, wide roads, larger parking spaces, etc. Very nice motorway cruiser feels very solid and is responsive when you accelerate.

Cons:
    The fabric interior looks a bit cheap. Like most american cars big and heavy, not the most nimble if going at speed through sharp bends and i really dread to think how it would cope with Irish roads and rougher road surfaces. Visibility out of the back window is poor if your reversing and depending on how tall you are visibility over the steering wheel can be a problem (found it hard to get the seat position just right).

Despite the cons I love the car and how it looks, I'd just be unsure of how very well it would work here as its a very different drive to any other car I've been in here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Are we talking new or classic. The new one isn't that much to be honest. I've seen the GT for €26k in a dealer recently.

Nice car, if only I could drive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The current one will surely be at the top end of the new motor tax brackets from July 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I had the new one as a rental while in the states.
    They come with two (at least) engine sizes.
    I had the 'smaller' size and it was way slower than I expected.
    Apart from that its not very nice looking either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Only available in left hand drive too, if you're not aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

on a more practical note Id say they eat petrol

I remember reading a article by clarkson saying that you could have one in youre drive for the same price as a golf gti, hmm...........:rolleyes:

seen a yellow one on the way home from college on the n11 the other day, twas nice yellow it black decals:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Stephen wrote: »
    Only available in left hand drive too, if you're not aware of that.

Some old models where sold in Australia in RHD, IIRC.
    The current one will surely be at the top end of the new motor tax brackets from July 1st.
    I tried to find out if this would be true, but of course the yanks have to do things differently and don't measure CO2 emissions in g/km like the rest of the world - tried looking on the US EPA website and they seem to just give a silly vague rating out of 10...

New models are bunk and just like any other modern sports car, all gears and no muscle and they are so quiet you could hardly tell the sound difference between 4 in line or a V8. . I took a spin from Wexford to Dublin in a 67 Mustang back in the late 70ies (As a passenger) and it was some experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have rented several in the states over the last two years.

Bit like driving a couch sitting on top of a waterbed. As with any american (cough*** sports *** cough) car, they are fine until you want to change direction.

The sound systen is excellent but seems to be connected to the 'gas' pedal.

When you plant the right foot, you get a lot of (great sounding) noise.

Unfortunately, not a lot else happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Unless you want to take out a second mortgage for road tax you could consider the classic 3 speed model, still will cost you an arm and a leg on petrol.

mustang_prize.jpg

Beautiful. So want one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If you are looking at recent models, Gt or bust IMO. The V6's are pathetic, most saloon cars, either side of the Atlantic Pi$$ all over them in terms of peformance, comfort and in certain circustances handling.

Classic V8 of some description would be a great way to go, more like a Muscle car than the watered-down wannabe's of today.

Theres SO many crazy classic V8 cars over here that cost buttons if you are willing to look beyond the Mustang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

American Rubish in my opinion.
    Buy a picture of one to look at.....and then go out an buy a "Real" car
    SACKOFSH1TESACKOFSH1TESACKOFSH1TESACKOFSH1TE......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I wouldn't be put off by the 'practicalities'. Technically, there are 100 good reasons not to get one but since most of them are financial, if you can afford it, go for it.

May also want to consider a Vauxhall/ Holden Monaro.

http://www.the-car-club.co.uk/Images/Pictures/Vauxhall-Holden-Monaro-2006-600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cantdecide wrote: »

+1 Much better car, and better looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

sure why not a Mondeo St220/Mazada Speed6 while he's at it?

Mustang concept Gone the way of the new Camaro. No harm really, very hot looking car imo.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Beautiful. So want one of them.
    Not many around Ireland for sale, but would get a restored one in the UK for about the same price or more than a modern one. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1965-Ford-Mustang-Convertible-289-V8-Automatic_W0QQitemZ360013198042QQihZ023QQcategoryZ9844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not many around Ireland for sale, but would get a restored one in the UK for about the same price or more than a modern one. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1965-Ford-Mustang-Convertible-289-V8-Automatic_W0QQitemZ360013198042QQihZ023QQcategoryZ9844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hmm, for €30K for a gas guzzler, an e39 M5 would be higher up the list. You can get the plainer looking (non fastback) original coupes for mid teens though, which I also like. Still instant divorce territory for me though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

cantdecide wrote: »
    I
    May also want to consider a Vauxhall/ Holden Monaro.

http://www.the-car-club.co.uk/Images/Pictures/Vauxhall-Holden-Monaro-2006-600.jpg

FYI, the Monaro was briefly actually sold in the US as a new model Pontiac GTO.

Advertisement