Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waypoints/Favourites on Nuvi 250

Options
  • 05-03-2008 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭

I have had MapSource maps of Europe since I purchased V5 for my eTrex Legend, I now have more than 400 waypoints (now called 'Favourites') and I have downloaded them to my Nuvi 250.

I can 'go to' any of these waypoints and they turn up if I search for them but they don't show on the map screen at any stage, unless it's the target of an active 'go to'. I'd like all of them to appear on the screen as I drive past them.

Does anybody know how to make them visible or is this a bug in the 250 s/w?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They show up both on the map on my nuvi 760, and in my Favourites list if that's any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Think it's something to do with the level of detail shown in the maps, you may have to have it set to the highest setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have done that, there's no other option on any of the menus that I can think of which will reveal them, might have to put up a query on the Garmin website.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What version of Mapsource are you using? The latest is 6.13.7. And is your nuvi up to date as well?

You don't have some weird custom symbols for the waypoints that aren't in the set that the nuvi supports or something like that, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Did you upload them as POIs (using POILoader) or as Waypoints, using Mapsource?

If you upload via Mapsource as Waypoints they are treated differently and will always appear on the maps. If you used POILoader, they are points of interest and only show up, as you pointed out, when routing to them, or approaching them. This is the case for my Zumo anyway. I upload my favourites as Waypoints, and my POIs (Speed cameras etc) using POILoader.

• Advertisement

Mapsource and Nuvi are both up to date as I use the webupdater. I loaded my waypoints using Mapsource and they're all in the unit because I can do a 'go to' any of them but they stubbornly refuse to show up on the map. I'm using a mix of icons for the waypoints, all provided by Mapsource so if the icons were the trouble I'd at least see some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I use a variety of Mapsource icons too. Certainly for the zumo, the custom POIs are hidden above 500 metres, but the Waypoints are visible up to 2kms.

Could you possibly have your previous favourites uploaded as both POIs and Waypoints? Try deleting your POI file.

No I am 100% certain that they are downloaded as waypoints and not as POIs. the reason for this is because editing the waypoints on the 250 is very tedious so the only way to do decent editing is to upload from the unit to the PC, do a mass edit then scrub the unit to delete all stored favourites by pressing the bottom right corner of the screen when you switch it on, then downloading all of the waypints again. I have done this several times now, mainly to clean up lots of obsolete waypoints and rename a few others so I know for certain that they are stored as waypoints and not as POIs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mrliffey

Hi Coylemj, do the waypoints appear on the map if you search for them by scrolling around the map as opposed to when you drive by, say a petrol station?

Yes they do, I just tested this earlier this morning by coincidence before I read your question and if I run my finger over the map and move it around I can see the waypoints.

I think this is a situation peculiar to the Nuvi 250 or maybe the entire 2xx line, I have put up a query oin the Garmin UK support site about it.

• Advertisement

I've noticed the same thing on my Garmin 250W. the girlie pink line that points the direction of your trip on the map is thicker than the icons which display these points, hence they are hidden behind it. It's so frustrating.

Is this what your seeing?

No what I mean is that when I'm driving with or without an active 'go to' I cannot see my favourites pass by on the map - they just don't appear on the live map at all. If you're static like at home and you run your finger across the screen to pan the map you can see all of them but when you're moving and the map is actively following you it refuses to show me my favourites.

I put the following query up on the Garmin UK support site...

My query....

I have downloaded over 400 waypoints (favourites) using MapSource to my Nuvi 250. I know the waypoints are stored on the unit because I can find them when I search Favourites and I can do a 'go to' to any of them. However they do not appear on the map so I can't see them when I'm driving past them.

Garmn response:

I am afraid the favourites are not shown on the map and can only be storred where they currently are. It is not possible to place these on the maps while using the unit.

=============================

I really don't know what they're on about, that doesn't make sense so I've asked for clarification.

I don't have any favourites added, but the exact same thing is happening me with the icons for petrol stations, restaurants etc etc. When I'm driving I see nothing, but when the map is static and I run my finger over the map they all instantle appear. I too have raised a question with Garmin. It may be some bug in the software. I'll let you know what the say.
    BTW on your one do you see these icons while driving or only on the static maps?

Yet another response in pidgin English from Garmin UK support...

======== Garmin response ================
    No i am afraid your favourites are storred for you to go straight to without putting in addresses but is not there to show you all of them on the map while you are on route.
    ======================================

My response...

Excuse me for asking but is English your first language? I cannot understand your reply, perhaps you could get a colleague to reply to this query, otherwise I will take it back to Garmin US.

I haven't even received a response yet :( I'm thinking other Garmin nuvi 250 owners must be seeing the same thing on their units. I'll start a new thread on here.

Start a new thread... why? Aren't we both talking about the same issue?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

coylemj wrote: »
    ======== Garmin response ================
    No i am afraid your favourites are storred for you to go straight to without putting in addresses but is not there to show you all of them on the map while you are on route.
    ======================================

It seems pretty obvious to me what they mean :p

You can only select the items from favourites and they will not show up on the map when driving there. Like the "Home" setting. You click it and it will bring you to the set location but when your on a route in general then it wont display.

To sum it up: You cant add them to your map using this product.

Received a response from Garmin

"The reason for this is that during navigation, if you have too many icons on the screen, it slows down the refresh rate causing the unit to run slow. Also, in cities such as London, the screen would look cluttered as there are lots of icons in a small space."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kevin Heenan

If it's any consolation, I too made an enquiry to the Garmin support site regarding my Nuvi 760's bluetooth connectivity and got equally bad responses as those quoted above. It appears to me that the support team do not have a good grasp of how the products the are supposed to be supporting actually function and equally dont have a good grasp of the English language

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

From another forum I gather you may be able to see your POI's if zoomed in to about 100meter level AND you have to be in one of the 2D modes (ie not the 3D one!). Haven't had a chance to check this out yet.....

• Advertisement

Ok I checked this out and you're correct. In 2D mode ('North Up') I can see the waypoints at four zoom levels meaning that if I zoom in to the maximum level (call this level 1) I can see the waypoints, then I can zoom out three times (levels 2, 3 & 4) and I can still see them but one more zoom out and they're gone.

For practical purposes however this is useless because even at level 4 you can only see about 75 metres ahead on the display, ok for walking but not for driving.

Advertisement