Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal French

Options
  • 05-03-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I'm in the processing of translating some legal documents relating to the letting of a house my parents own in Perpignan. The agency communicates with them in French and I usually translate, but these contracts are confounding me! I can barely understand legal docs in English. :rolleyes: Anybody know of any websites that could help? Any other suggestions welcome!

Thanks

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

If it's a legal document that you want translated then i think accuracy would be important in your case...

A lot of the free translations websites (e.g http://babelfish.altavista.com/) tend to not be that accurate so maybe you should check the Golden Pages to look for a professional translation agency...although you'll have to pay for that.

I once used a translation company in Cork, but i cant remember their web address.

bonne chance quand meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

yes thats what I thought, babelfish is not to be trusted! Merci!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

is it the whole document you want translated or just bits of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

beware also the 'straight translation' and translating a word in its context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Post it up here sure and we'll tell you what it all means! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Post it up here sure and we'll tell you what it all means! ;)

Might not want to do that, given that they are legal documents, which may be privileged and/or contain sensitive data unsuitable for public disclosure.

I'm French, a legal professional and a (very long) time-served FR<>EN translator, pm me whenever and we can take it from there :)

Advertisement