Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit

Options
  • 05-03-2008 2:12pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Got the girlfriend a pet rabbit there last year (some of you may remember me talking about it) which I have to say is very affectionate and friendly! I always thought it was just dogs who were like that, but this Rabbit is very friendly and at times can be very amusing. She has had rabbits for years, always loved them and takes care of them like a baby! We built a big run for the rabbit and got a good sized hutch. Happy as Larry he is!

However, since yesterday, the rabbit has been pretty quiet and doesn't seem to be his usual self. Still eating (tho, not as a quick as he would!) but not as active, seems to sit around in the corner most of the day. She is pretty concerned about it, though she said he picked up a little today. I was up there the day before yesterday and the rabbit was great - running around the place, jumping up when we came out, and he has started to burrow and eat the roots! Doesn't seem to mind the cats, who often walk by him as if he is not there. Hell, at one stage I noticed one cat asleep on top of the run with the rabbit inside not bothered at all.

Is there a cause for alarm, or is this kind of normal? I'm a dog lover myself, have a west highland terrier and I would be alarmed if she wasn't herself! Probably over worrying, since he seems to be in a better mood today. Just said I would ask yourselves - any thoughts?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

He was probably cold yesterday. As long as he is eating and drinking he should be grand. Check his eyes and rear. His eyes should be bright and his rear dry and not heavily soiled. His coat should be shiny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I would be inclined to get it checked by a vet that knows their stuff when it comes to rabbits. Rabbits do not show when there is something wrong unless they are quite sick, so if there is any significant change in behaviour it is as well to have it checked.
    He could have a touch of a respiratory infection and if so that is unlikely to get better on it's own. Do look for a vet that has experience with rabbits though as if they don't they will likely be as lost as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I would definetly take her to the vet just to be on the safe side. Also I think rabbits are supposed to be happier when they have a friend so maybe she would be happier if you got her another little rabbit to live with? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Was a lot better today. She said that he eats grass, but not very much else. He normally eats his food quick, but seems to be slower. Apparently he was in better form today but still not himself. One min he would be himself, then next he pans out and closes his eyes for a while before pooping up and looking around. Eyes are as normal, hair and rear also fine (he popped on her apparently!). Her uncle is a vet, and he said its a good sign if he is okay after 24hours but to bring him to a vet. Gonna call them first thing and see if they will take him. She walked him around the garden today, and he picked up as they went on.. sniffing around the place! Still not his full self, but she will get him checked out regardless. Better be safe then sorry.

As for a friend.. she thought about it, but since they are very affectionate towards the one rabbit she didn't know if it was wise or if the rabbit would want another rabbit "evading its space". Its quite a unique rabbit imo!

Does anybody know a good vet in the Tramore/Waterford area for Rabbits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Hows his teeth?, rabbits like many rodents their teeth keep growing so he may not be getting enough fibre or real chewy foods to help keep them down.

Do you ever give him a frech branch to knaw on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Went to the vet today. He seemed in a good mood on the way down, but much quieter on the way home! Checked him over and can find nothing wrong with him. Teeth, Eyes, Rear, Skin, Tempreture etc. all normal. Lost a bit of weight, but not much. Said his diet must be good as he is a good weight clearly, and the rabbit is well able to stand.

He has put him on an antibotic, which will last for four days in the hope if its an infection inside or he is getting something it will clear it up.

We got him lots of stuff to knaw on, but its destroyed soon after! He eats the wood on the run all the time also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Sully, might be a good idea, when he is better that is, to get him a myxo vaccination. There has been a dramatic increase in the disease in the domestic rabbit in the last year. They hould get the vac and a booster every 6 months.

Jules wrote: »
    Sully, might be a good idea, when he is better that is, to get him a myxo vaccination. There has been a dramatic increase in the disease in the domestic rabbit in the last year. They hould get the vac and a booster every 6 months.

Funny our vet never mentioned that.. Thanks.

He had a good day yesterday, but mixed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are two deadly diseases you need to vaccinate against, Myxomatosis and VHD (not at the same time leave 2 weeks between the two) although if your rabbit had either he would be very ill or dead by now. Some vets will check a rabbit over but really after teh basics they don't know what to do esp if they don't deal with bunnies a lot of the time. So make sure your vet is an experienced one, is your bun male or female? Neutering/spaying is important esp. in females they have an extremly high chance of getting a reproductive cancer. Of course vaccinating or spaying must only be done if the bun is in good health.

Grass is fine but a rabbit can get bloaty from too many greens although I've never had a prob with grass but it might be very wet at the mo.

Good quality dry food like Burgess is best it's in a green bag. Make sure the bun isn't being fed any lettuce and not too many greens I find some buns can't handle too many greens like cabbage etc some do better on carrot and cauliflower and apple etc.

Make sure the bun is getting a pro biotic when on antibiotics like acidopholis (can never spell it) you can get it in a capsule at chemist just cut open one capsule and squeeze it on a piece of veg.
    Is the bun outside at the mo? If so make sure the hutch is warm you can get a heavy blue tarp to cover it and protect it from the wind and rain the kind you would use to cover a car.

Bedding wise avoid wood chips hay and newspaper is best.
    He could also be depressed rabbits are very social and really do need the company of another rabbit (spayed and neutered of course so no accidents).

I wouldn't rule out something like a reproductive cancer so just keep that at the back of your mind next time you are at the vets, if he's a young bun it's not as likely.

It sounds like something is not right the antibiotics can also make the bun tired, is there any way he can be brought into a cool room in the house until you find out exactly what's up with him and until the weather improves.

Respiratory problems are common at this time of year as well. It could be anything really, hard to know. I think a second opinion from a vet would be a good idea just in case something was left out.

There are two deadly diseases you need to vaccinate against, Myxomatosis and VHD (not at the same time leave 2 weeks between the two) although if your rabbit had either he would be very ill or dead by now. Some vets will check a rabbit over but really after teh basics they don't know what to do esp if they don't deal with bunnies a lot of the time. So make sure your vet is an experienced one, is your bun male or female? Neutering/spaying is important esp. in females they have an extremly high chance of getting a reproductive cancer. Of course vaccinating or spaying must only be done if the bun is in good health.

Rabbit is great now, ill suggest that it gets these shots but I think she hates seeing the rabbit getting injections! As we all do! Its a male rabbit btw.
    Grass is fine but a rabbit can get bloaty from too many greens although I've never had a prob with grass but it might be very wet at the mo.

Good quality dry food like Burgess is best it's in a green bag. Make sure the bun isn't being fed any lettuce and not too many greens I find some buns can't handle too many greens like cabbage etc some do better on carrot and cauliflower and apple etc.

She feeds a lot of green food like cabbage, lettuce etc. and mixes it with carrots. She doesnt give much nuts as he puts on a fair bit of weight with them. Oh and ya, she gives it apple also.
    Make sure the bun is getting a pro biotic when on antibiotics like acidopholis (can never spell it) you can get it in a capsule at chemist just cut open one capsule and squeeze it on a piece of veg.

Never heard of it. The antibio is up now anyway.
    Is the bun outside at the mo? If so make sure the hutch is warm you can get a heavy blue tarp to cover it and protect it from the wind and rain the kind you would use to cover a car.

Rabbit inside due to the ****e weather and it being sick. Its fine now but she wants to wait till the storm fully passes. Its a good size hutch with a heavy roof on it. Its facing away from the weather and is not far from the run.
    Bedding wise avoid wood chips hay and newspaper is best.
    He could also be depressed rabbits are very social and really do need the company of another rabbit (spayed and neutered of course so no accidents).

She uses just hay that she gets in the pet shop. They considered getting another rabbit but this one gets a lot of attention!
    It sounds like something is not right the antibiotics can also make the bun tired, is there any way he can be brought into a cool room in the house until you find out exactly what's up with him and until the weather improves.

Respiratory problems are common at this time of year as well. It could be anything really, hard to know. I think a second opinion from a vet would be a good idea just in case something was left out.

Ah he had his good and bad days, but is fine now. He is being kept inside and stays in the hutch unless someone is in the house with him and he is put in a very big box!

No Respiratory problems at all. Eyes are fine, rear is fine, skin is fine, nose is fine etc. Her uncle isnt a vet, he deals a lot with medicines for animals and knows a good bit about them from dealing with horses and stuff and he checked him out and found nothing wrong either.

The last few days, seems the rabbit is doing well!

• Advertisement
Advertisement