Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 2008 maps

Options
  • 05-03-2008 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi all,
    I just got a garmin 250W and it has the 2008 maps preloaded. It seems though that once I go outside the citycentre in Dublin there are no POI's, petrol stations, hotels, restaurants visible on the map. Can anyone else with 2008 maps tell me if its the same for them?
    I bought a medion Gopal(Navteq maps) last June in ALdi and the includes POI's countrywide. I'm thinking now that the medion is a far superior product :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hmmm.. Perhaps, your Medion came preloaded with additional POIs?
    I agree that they are very poor (but both the Garmin and the Medion are using NavTeq maps). Perhaps the POIs are supplied by the manufacturer, rather than the map supplier. Perhaps you can transfer the POIs from the Medion? Try uploading external POIs to the device.. See the top if this forum for some links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mrliffey

Thanks Krusty, It's not even the POI's though it simple stuff like lack of petrol stations restaurants etc once you go outside the city centre thats annoying me. I think I'll just box it up and send it back

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

??? I see petrol stations outside of Dublin city centre on mine (a nuvi 760). Note that they might not always be visible on the map itself due to the zoom factor, but if you search for them they should be there.

Jaysus!! zoom factor indeed. I'm a right clown :). Anyway I'm still not impressed. The brother in-law bought a TomTom one xl at the weekend and the teleatlas maps are superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mrliffey wrote: »
    Jaysus!! zoom factor indeed. I'm a right clown :). Anyway I'm still not impressed. The brother in-law bought a TomTom one xl at the weekend and the teleatlas maps are superior.
    Not once you really get out into the sticks they aren't. In the big cities though there's not much to choose between them, and in some areas (such as my own), the Teleatlas maps actually seem to be slightly more up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't forget that as well as the zoom level there is a 'map detail' setting where you can elect to see a lot of or very little detail as far as POIs are concerned. Set this to 'most' to see everything.

thanks. I can see the petrol stations restaurants, hotels etc but for some mad reason the icons are hidden by that pink guidance line.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Mr Liffey..

Stick to Navteq maps.

I had a tom tom one with navteq maps and it was an excellent map (6.75).
    I changed to a tom tom 720 but didnt realise it had tele atlas maps. The device is a peach, top class but the tele atlas map is a different story.
    Have toured the country and its so bad. No townlands, miles and miles of road where the display shows you driving in the fields or off the road. It jumps from section to section on the road when it realises its gone astray. Used it in the UK and it was equally poor, also tried to plan my road trip to Spain for May and ended up doing it on the old navteq map because it had more detail and names. If you by a tele atlas map buy a Road Map as well. If only there was a 720 with new navteq maps. One good point is the tele atlas map is good for N America.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Agree - have a TomTom One it had Teleatlas maps when I bought it - woefully bad - I upgraded to the Navteq Western Europe maps and there's a huge difference in both the UK and Irish maps especially in rural areas - only problem is TomTom are buying Teleatlas so looks like any future updates will be those .

Advertisement