Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you pronouce Jorge Garcia's name?

Options
  • 05-03-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

The guy who plays Hurley in Lost....his name is spelt Jorge Garcia....i've got the garcia bit down but does he pronounce his first name "hor-hay" or George?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Edser

I'd pronounce it Hor-gay

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hor-gay for me too.

J in spanish is silent so if ever hear spanish people calling someone "hey-zeus" they are saying jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

on other american shows i thought it was pronounced "Hor-hay"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd pronounce it "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddde"

"Hor-Heh" is how I'd pronounce it - a 'hey' sound is too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭small

thanks guys, horhay I'm running with...he's in a movie called Raven's Ridge on sky channel 327, Movies4Men2 Tuesday March 11th at 10pm. Just if anyone is interested!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

In Jorge the "J" and the "ge" have basically the same sound. It's similar to a H sound but produced further back in the throat so a bit of phlegm is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

[ˈɦɔrχe gaˁrˈθiːa]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Horhey is the way it is I know a couple of amigo's that go by that handle down in the foothills of Madrid :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

obl wrote: »
    [ˈɦɔrχe gaˁrˈθiːa]

No lisping or hard 'kh' in American Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

No lisping or hard 'kh' in American Spanish.

Didn't know that. Me with my filthy Spanish Spanish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

the south american spanish is the bastardised version of Castilian which is the pure version!

Just like Irish English.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cremo wrote: »
    hor-gay for me too.

An English speaker with that name might choose to pronounce it that way so that non-Spanish speakers can manage it, but at the end of the day that pronounciation is incorrect.

Cremo wrote: »
    J in spanish is silent so if ever hear spanish people calling someone "hey-zeus" they are saying jesus.

Wrong, wrong, wrong... in Spanish, the J (and also the G, if it comes before E or I) is pronounced like CH in Irish (like the last sound in "amach"). The Mexicans probably pronounce it a little softer, but it's still not as soft as our H. And it is never, ever silent.

So both the J and the G in Jorge are pronounced the same way.

If you've heard people pronounce the name Jesús as "hey-zeus", then it's probably because they're American. Try clearing your throat as you start to pronounce the name. That's the right pronounciation (trust me, I'm fluent in Spanish these past 15 years).

fricatus wrote: »
    An English speaker with that name might choose to pronounce it that way so that non-Spanish speakers can manage it, but at the end of the day that pronounciation is incorrect.

Wrong, wrong, wrong... in Spanish, the J (and also the G, if it comes before E or I) is pronounced like CH in Irish (like the last sound in "amach"). The Mexicans probably pronounce it a little softer, but it's still not as soft as our H. And it is never, ever silent.

So both the J and the G in Jorge are pronounced the same way.

If you've heard people pronounce the name Jesús as "hey-zeus", then it's probably because they're American. Try clearing your throat as you start to pronounce the name. That's the right pronounciation (trust me, I'm fluent in Spanish these past 15 years).

Do you actually know how to pronounce "amach"? Because it's virtually the same soft aspiration as Latin American J/G.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Do you actually know how to pronounce "amach"? Because it's virtually the same soft aspiration as Latin American J/G.

OK, so the pronunciation of "amach" may vary depending on dialect. I really don't know much about Irish, but I know how my Irish teachers at school would have pronounced it. Go with an initial "CH" as in "chonaic" if you wish. I only used as an example because it's likely to be the reference best known to boards members.

If you want to get technical (and precise), the Spanish "J" is pronounced as an unvoiced velar fricative ("x" in the International Phonetic Alphabet). It is not pronounced as a plosive ("k" in the IPA) or a glottal fricative (h) by native Spanish speakers as far as I know, and that goes for Latin America too.

It is never silent in initial position, such as at the start of "Jorge", although it may be unpronounced at the end of a word like "reloj" (watch) in some dialects.

These articles are quite good in my view, if you're interested:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipa#Pulmonic_consonants
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_phonology
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dialects_and_varieties#Pronunciation

fricatus wrote: »
    OK, so the pronunciation of "amach" may vary depending on dialect. I really don't know much about Irish, but I know how my Irish teachers at school would have pronounced it. Go with an initial "CH" as in "chonaic" if you wish. I only used as an example because it's likely to be the reference best known to boards members.

It's the same sound; there is no [x] in any of the standard Irish dialects
    If you want to get technical (and precise), the Spanish "J" is pronounced as an unvoiced velar fricative ("x" in the International Phonetic Alphabet). It is not pronounced as a plosive ("k" in the IPA) or a glottal fricative (h) by native Spanish speakers as far as I know, and that goes for Latin America too.
    No, it doesn't. That's the very simple point you seem not to be grasping. LatAm Spanish doesn't use the /x/ but a /h/ allophone (with a horizontal bar through the upright if you like). Same as it doesn't use [θ] but and uses [∫] rather than [λ]

Advertisement