Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job - new languages

Options
  • 05-03-2008 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

Just after a few opinions here. Possibility of a new job in the pipe lines at the moment, but it uses a hell of a lot of languages I've never looked at. Mostly I work in Java, C++, some Obj C. Despite my lack of experience in relevant languages they are interested. Problem is they use .NET, VB, C# things like that. My concern is the guy said there wouldn't be any training - thrown in at the deep end, work straight off with a manual for a friend. They are a small company so there isn't ever likely to be any official training.

Basically, Im wondering, from people who are in the know, how quickly someone is likely to pick these languages up. Im prepared for a significant learning curve, but I dont want to feel like its a constant struggle. There won't be much time for me to learn before I start either (if I start).

Any thoughts/opinions/advice?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

440Hz wrote: »
    Hey all!

Just after a few opinions here. Possibility of a new job in the pipe lines at the moment, but it uses a hell of a lot of languages I've never looked at. Mostly I work in Java, C++, some Obj C. Despite my lack of experience in relevant languages they are interested. Problem is they use .NET, VB, C# things like that. My concern is the guy said there wouldn't be any training - thrown in at the deep end, work straight off with a manual for a friend. They are a small company so there isn't ever likely to be any official training.

Basically, Im wondering, from people who are in the know, how quickly someone is likely to pick these languages up. Im prepared for a significant learning curve, but I dont want to feel like its a constant struggle. There won't be much time for me to learn before I start either (if I start).

Thanks all

You won't have that much trouble picking up C# coming from a Java background. The .net framwork is pretty well documented, so it's usually not a problem finding resources covering what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

I started a new job and got a half done VB project to continue. Basically all it boiled down to was alot of google searches for syntax or anything I didn't recognise.

clearly you've a basis in programming so I'd be confident you'll make the adjustments quickly enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

It won't feel like a constant struggle, after 6 - 9 months you should be fine. C# and .Net has a lot in common with Java so you'll be comfortable enough with those and having actual goals in the job means you'll HAVE TO pick things up quickly.

In my opinion, if you're able to program in one language, i.e. make complete applications, then you can do it in any language. The concepts are more or less the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

With Java, C++ and ObjC C# won't be a problem, you already know the syntax (java). Have a look for a .Net primer for Java developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Hey, it's Microsoft programming, how hard could it be? :confused:

Seriously though, all it is is learning new syntax. You already have the foundations. There are plenty of tutorials online if you get stuck (or want to brush up before you begin the job)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hey all!

Thanks all

You will be fine, you already have a large base of knowledge built up, and it will be fairly easy to adapt to what are esentially very similar languages.

This way is by far the best way to learn in my opinion, try not to think about it too much. Just focus on one task at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Cheers guys, was just after some first hand opinions on this one, appreciate the replies!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Like the others said, Java to C# should be quite easy for you. You could try downloading Visual Studio Express (or Visual Web Developer if you'll be doing ASP.Net) and giving it a go.

You could also have a look at the Getting Started With C# msdn page (with a section for Java devs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dlane99

Hey all!

Thanks all

I got a VB .net job straight out of college, having mostly done java, as others have said, you'll pick it up easily enough (its the dll-hell you need to be afraid of :) ).

Let us know if you take the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

dll hell? Surely .Net got ride of dll hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dlane99

you're probably right, from what I've read its not half as bad as it used to be,
    but i've still lost so much time due to issues with dll's that i had to get the dig in there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

My concern is the guy said there wouldn't be any training - thrown in at the deep end, work straight off with a manual for a friend. They are a small company so there isn't ever likely to be any official training.
    They're obviously not going in for the employer of the year, but it sounds like a good opportunity to get some real-world experience under your belt.

Your learning curve won't be with the languages. The syntax of C, C++, Java and C# isn't worlds apart; it's not like you'll be switching from Java to Cobol or Prolog.

Your greatest challenge will be coding in a new and complex environment. You'll have to get familiar with the .NET environment in the same way that you probably had to get familiar with all you can do with the Javabeans API.

You'll also probably be doing some work with ASP .net V.2 in conjuction with C# and or vb.net. Again, the learning curve won't be with the languages, it will be how the whole nature of the environment is structured in terms of the various ASP .net objects that you can play with and following on, how IIS works.

You might suggest to your employer to invest in one of the Keystone DVD courses. They're pretty good, cheap and can be used again and again:

http://www.keystonelearning.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

If you can comfortably code in C++ or Java, then you'll have no problems with C#. My first job out of college I had to code in it, and never had done it before, my manager gave me a book on it and I had to learn it at the same time as doing work in it. In a matter of 2-3 days you should be comfortably coding in it.

The thing with .NET is it's just a matter of learning the new API's and you have MSDN to help with that, so its no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

C# should be no bother to ya:
    using System;

namespace Boards
    {
        public class HelloWorldApp
        {
            public static void Main()
            {
               Console.WriteLine("Hello World");
            }
        }
    }

Thanks all! I appreciate the replies.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I agree it's a good opportunity to get to use a new selection of languages. I guess it's the fact that there are a few new ones to pick up in the one go that is making me anxious. Normally I have no trouble picking up a new language, but i've usually only to master one at a time (except in college, but then I wasn't expected to produce anything serious with that level of knowledge at the time).

Def agree with your points DublinWriter - and to make it more fun I'll be switching back from Mac/xCode as well! Fun fun fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Using Visual Studio will feel like HEAVEN if you've been using mostly xCode :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

As others have said it not the language. Ok because they are so similar you'll find yourself making a few mistakes in the transition but VS2005/2008 are heaven for developers. Obviously from my screen name I do GUIs. And there is far more to learn in the differences between the frameworks (MFC, thunderforms/ruby (VB1-6), Winforms, WPF , Cocoa, Swing, ASP.Net etc) than there is in the languages.

the best thing about .Net is that it doesn't really care what language you use as long as it is CLR compliant. So if you like you can use J#. You can mix and match in the one solution (although the company might not be too happy).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Def agree with your points DublinWriter - and to make it more fun I'll be switching back from Mac/xCode as well! Fun fun fun ;)

You'll have more trouble adapting to Windows then any language constraints! Lord knows this Solaris business is a bit overwhelming!

Peteee wrote: »
    You'll have more trouble adapting to Windows then any language constraints! Lord knows this Solaris business is a bit overwhelming!

Yup, that worries me too!!

Me thinks a trip down to Tesco HR might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

As I said come work for me!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement