Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The only safe way off the Island.....

Options
  • 04-03-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

is to have a constant??

I was thinking about those who are confirmed as part of the O6.

Did they need a Constant to get off the Island safely?

Like, Jack would have Desmond, cause they have meet off the Island etc.

I dunno, still trying to make sense of the last episode!:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The constant thing is only to do with the conscience travelling through time. It has nothing to do with getting off the island as far as we know. To get off the island all you have to do is stick to a specific bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Yeah, but there is a chance that you can have your head messed up on the way off...

Like your man on the boat...it happened to him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think if you stick to the bearing then that doesn't happen. Your head only gets messed up if you've been subjected to massive amounts of radiation or electro-magnetism. Most people on the island haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

At the same time only a certain amount of them get off the island and most of the ones that have did meet beforehand. Working that all out though is a bit impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

I think if you stick to the bearing then that doesn't happen. Your head only gets messed up if you've been subjected to massive amounts of radiation or electro-magnetism. Most people on the island haven't.

Weren't the majority of them pretty close to the hatch when it exploded?? They heard that noise and the sky turned that werid colour?? Not as much as wee Desmond though...

• Advertisement

If they were given enough of a blast then I'd assume that Sayid's consciense would be all screwey too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

The only safe way off the Island is in a Submarine. No.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

oshead wrote: »
    The only safe way off the Island is in a Submarine. No.....?

Darn you Locke!!!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's a guy here with a interesting theory for why only 6 people leave the island. The gist is that most of the survivors were very close to the hatch when it imploded and would have been heavily exposed to the electromagnetism, where as Jack, Sayid and others were either off island or pretty far away at the time. Like I said interesting but I don't think that's it.

I think the reason only 6 leave is because of more practical reasons, like they're forced to leave or something. I reckon Des' experiences in The Constant are at the extreme end of show's exploration of time travel. I don't get the impression from the writers that they want to go too far down the road of screwing around with time.

My own theory is that exposure to the island's electromagnetism, any exposure at all, causes the "side effects". The island is surrounded by electromagnetism which is why Minkowski and his buddy got sick. I don't think one has to be exposed to it twice for the side effects to happen. Des was first exposed to it when he turned the fail-safe key which was also the first time he travelled through time.

So I think what happen in the The Constant is just a vastly accelerated and worse version of what happened to Des in FBYE. He was perhaps already slightly "unstuck" in time due to that experience. Leaving the island just caused it to get much worse. So I don't think the helicopter went of course. When Lapidus landed he seemed to be insisting that he had done as Faraday had told him.

So lets assume that this is Rousseau's sickness for a minute and that exposure to electromagnetism is the cause. Remember the "incident" talked about in the Swan orientation video? Perhaps Rousseau's team were in the vicinity at the time that happened. It would also explain the "quarantine" sign on the Swan's hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

So lets assume that this is Rousseau's sickness for a minute and that exposure to electromagnetism is the cause. Remember the "incident" talked about in the Swan orientation video? Perhaps Rousseau's team were in the vicinity at the time that happened. It would also explain the "quarantine" sign on the Swan's hatch.
    I was going to bring up Rousseau's team and how they got exposed to electromagnetism, this is a good theory and I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a flashback sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

On the subject of Rousseau can I also say that I've been convinced since season 2 that she's actually a former Dharma scientist. I mean we've yet to see this boat that she supposedly crashed on the island in. And I've never quite bought her claims of being on the island for 16 years and never seeing anyone or anything relating to Dharma. Plus from Ben's whispered conversation with her in 4x01 it seems like they know each other.

But I think most of her story concerning Alex is true. Perhaps her team was assigned to the Swan when the "incident" happened, they got exposed to the electromagnetism, they all went crazy (her included) and she killed them all. Then Dharma (or whoever was running the island then) had to take the child off her for it's protection. She then went running off into the jungle to live for the next 16 years.

Mind you this wouldn't quite fit with Sayid The Lie Detector believing her whole story. But it would explain why they've held back on her flashback for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

On the subject of Rousseau can I also say that I've been convinced since season 2 that she's actually a former Dharma scientist. I mean we've yet to see this boat that she supposedly crashed on the island in. And I've never quite bought her claims of being on the island for 16 years and never seeing anyone or anything relating to Dharma. Plus from Ben's whispered conversation with her in 4x01 it seems like they know each other.

But they know from the numbers listed off each time her message get's played that it's been going for sixteen years. And I presume the whispered conversation with Ben is that they don't actually know eachother but they are connected by Alex.

Leeby wrote: »
    But they know from the numbers listed off each time her message get's played that it's been going for sixteen years. And I presume the whispered conversation with Ben is that they don't actually know eachother but they are connected by Alex.
    I'm not saying she hasn't been on the island for 16 years, Alex is proof that she has. I just think her story of having never seen anyone or anything related to Dharma in all that time is unlikely. So maybe she was lying about how she arrived on the island and was previously working for Dharma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I'm not saying she hasn't been on the island for 16 years, Alex is proof that she has. I just think her story of having never seen anyone or anything related to Dharma in all that time is unlikely. So maybe she was lying about how she arrived on the island and was previously working for Dharma.

Ah yes, sorry I misunderstood you there.

Advertisement