Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University of Ulster

Options
  • 04-03-2008 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I'm looking into to doing a post-graduate course in either Geography or GIS, and the course that's available in UU (Post Grad Dip/Masters in GIS) looks really interesting. I'm just wondering if there's anyone on here who a) goes to UU or b) does this course?

I'm just wondering what the uni is like-I know a ridiculous question, but if anyone has studied there, I'd just like an insider's view.

Are the classes small? What's the story with the campuses, is it a bit like dit in that i.e. business is all in one, engineering in the other, or is it a mix? What is the library like? Are there many sports societies? And most importantly how does it fair for the social life?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't go to UU but about the class sizes. I'd imagine it would be the same in all colleges, they will vary from course to course. Some will be tiny and some will be massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Does it not say which campus the course is based at in the prospectus? Most subjects are one or the other as regards campuses but Arts in particular is split up.

Edit: According to the prospectus GIS is at Coleraine. Aesthetically that campus is.....well.....hideous, but sure I suppose you're not there for the architecture. There's far more going on at Coleraine than Magee where I'm based, social life is excellent, a load of clubs/societies and the beach is not too far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

ellscurr wrote: »
    here's far more going on at Coleraine than Magee where I'm based, social life is excellent, a load of clubs/societies and the beach is not too far away.

Have to disagree there i am at magee and the social life is great in fact the only thing i liked about coleraine (was there a few times mainly for matches) was the union/pavillion/whatever its called as magee's one is a hole

GAAman wrote: »
    Have to disagree there i am at magee and the social life is great in fact the only thing i liked about coleraine (was there a few times mainly for matches) was the union/pavillion/whatever its called as magee's one is a hole

LOL. If you're not into sports or heavy drinking there is zero to do at Magee. Zero. Coleraine is a wee bit better. And there's a much better campus atmosphere there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

History...and I'm STILL here!

The way you were writing it seemed like you were talkin past tense, how long you been at magee? I wonder do i know you

Well anyway the sports there are good enough i know firsthand the gaelic team are far from the best but with more work and determination we can get there

I have heard both the soccer and rugby teams are good enough though and i think the nightlife is good enough, like everywhere it depends on the people you go out with moreso then the venue

I dunno....I'm the only person with a 'Southern' accent I know :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

This uni have master in radiography?I saw name of it on some american site,that means its recognised in USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

This uni have master in radiography?I saw name of it on some american site,that means its recognised in USA?

i know the radiography degrees are based in jordanstown, were im at, so id say the masters is prob in jordanstown aswell

Yep it was, just graduated this week!

I thought the course was ok, certainly compared to similar ones at other unis. The teaching was a bit hit and miss (possibly it being at Magee with the other history stuff being at Coleraine) and some of the electives overlapped too much to be interesting.

Enjoyed it on the whole though.

thats cool so wats next for ya, job hunting or some postgrad work

• Advertisement

regob wrote: »
    thats cool so wats next for ya, job hunting or some postgrad work

Going across to the 'dark side' (QUB) for postgrad. :D

you traitor lol, best of luck wit it

Advertisement